Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods!

+8
opalngold
manicnut
kon61
HueyDuck
GoldstalkerGPX
Curley
Narrawa
nero_design
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods! Empty Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods!

Post  Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Came across this while googling like all keen googlers do... a good entertaining read about divining rods

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/digging-for-peter-falconio-a-rod-for-our-own-backs/story-e6freuzr-1225872764400

Back to top Go down

Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods! Empty Re: Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods!

Post  nero_design Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods! File:Wrlhout1

But... why? Nobody has ever taken or won the million dollar prize for proving that divining actually works. Not the people who claim to find water and not the people who claim to find gold or even human remains. There's a number of tests lined up for people who claim they can find things with divining rods and although they exist by the dozen, none of them have ever been able to get it right. Dowsing for water seems to be the most popular method yet again, no winners. That's a lot of money waiting to be claimed. The American skeptic (Randy) has a set of blind tests to be administered for claiming his cash prize and even the Australian Skeptics have their own prize. Again, nobody has walked away with it and it's an EASY prize to win, if only you can complete their blind test of finding water with two sticks or a bent coathanger.

Then we have the LRL (Long Range Locator) which is quite simply and electronic form of dowsing. In this instance, the instrument is ACTUALLY a scam. The goal of the seller being to fleece the ignorant of their cash.

Why is dowsing still attracting any form of legitimate scrutiny? Sure, you'll meet people who will claim that not only does it work but that they've found every manner of subject with it, from gold to dead bodies and water. But if this is the truly the case, you'd see a lot of very wealthy people claiming their million dollar prizes and filling their garage with money from all the gold they've found.

Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods! 300px-Otto_Edler_von_Graeve_4786745367_04b089ec26_b Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods! Lens2346383_1245800824300px-18th_century_dowser Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods! Dowsing_1

Since this clearly isn't happening, and nobody is claiming the prizes, and everybody is failing the blind tests, then it's only logical to declare that there's nothing about dowsing that can be considered effective. Sure, your great grandfather or uncle used to dowse. Good for him. I hope he left you squillions of dollars. The Iraqi government just spent $42 Million dollars on dowsing equipment to find explosives and weapons... and the seller was arrested for criminal fraud in London. Yet the Iraqi government SWEARS they work just fine... and YET people STILL get blown to smithereens by Jihadist that have passed no less than 5 such dowsing devices on the way to their targets.

I'm sorry, but until I see a person beat a blind test (*where the target is hidden from view and the dowser has to find it in a confined area), then I can only point out that DOWSING has NO scientific basis. Wikipedia: A 1948 study tested 58 dowsers' ability to detect water. None of them was more reliable than chance. Same again in 1979 when tests for water dowsing continued. More recently a study was undertaken in Kassel, Germany under the direction of the Gesellschaft zur Wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften (GWUP) (Society for the Scientific Investigation of the Parasciences). The three-day test of some 30 dowsers involved plastic pipes through which water flow could be controlled and directed. The pipes were buried 50 centimeters under a level field, the position of each marked on the surface with a colored strip. The dowsers had to tell whether water was running through each pipe. All the dowsers signed a statement agreeing this was a fair test of their abilities and that they expected a 100 percent success rate, however the results were no better than chance... Some researchers have investigated possible physical or geophysical explanations for alleged dowsing abilities. One study concluded that dowsers "respond" to a 60 Hz electromagnetic field, but this response does not occur if the kidney area or head are shielded... one expert tester noted that "the best dowser was on average 4 millimeters out of 10 meters closer to a mid-line guess, an advantage of 0.0004%."

I think that pretty much sums it up. I'm sorry for the dowsers out there who feel otherwise. Perhaps some day a dowser will take one of those prizes.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods! Empty Re: Gold, saphires, dead bodies and divining rods!

Post  Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Billsymo wrote:..........First of all, anyone has the power to do divining,.......
I don't.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm

DAily telegraph breaking news section 8.57pm. Bones found in dam about 300km north of Alice spring may by those of Peter Falconio. Dna will tell in about 2 to 3 months i guess. affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:09 pm

I could never get the rods to bob, to indicate was easy, but getting them to bob and tell me the depth, nope!

I don't believe in Santa or the tooth fairy, ghosts goblins leprechauns or unicorns and elves, aliens the Loch Ness Monster, big foot big cats or the Abominable Snowman or yeti, (however the Coonabarabran yowie is much smaller then the one i saw in Mudgee. Shocked ) Hocus pocus crystal balls the book of shadows, voodoo, witchcraft or star signs. Razz
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Does your metal detector bob and tell you how deepthe target is. No it has a depth gauge, but its like the other things i dont believe in. Very Happy
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Billsymo wrote: Have you ever give it a try mad tuna, or are you one of these who just say tht it doesn't work , just because you say so. Sleep
actually, yes I have. Not 4 weeks ago with a member of this forum...Like I said...I don't

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:38 pm

madtuna wrote:actually, yes I have. Not 4 weeks ago with a member of this forum...Like I said...I don't
Next time I see you Tuna we can give it a go if you like. An old bloke showed me how to do it with fencing wire. Good on locating underground faults.
Believe it or not. Each to their own.
Cheers
Curley
ps Narrawa, I don't believe in Santa or the tooth fairy, ghosts goblins leprechauns or unicorns and elves, aliens the Loch Ness Monster, big foot big cats or the Abominable Snowman or yeti either. But I do believe in dowsing. cyclops
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Yeppers Curley..will have to!
I watched the wire move in this guys hand at the same spot every single time.. but when he showed me how and got me to do it....not a cracker!

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Was Mary a virgin? maybe, maybe not? i wasn't there at the time, but if i was we could put to rest all this virgin talk. Laughing Laughing

Now God is a different thing, every man women and child of age knows theres something/someone called God, believing is up to the individual, just as the above is true for the dowser, believe it or not. Wink

From a none believer who had a dabble, the rods moved without my input, what they were telling me, i have not idea. Razz

Billsymo, finding comfort in Curley to your madness, is madness, he eats the other white meat. lol! lol!

PS. Curley, pop round tomora at lunch, have something for you.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:55 pm

My own eyes, in NSW with a water borer who is a mate...Two pieces of wire enough said....

HueyDuck....
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Damn good wright up on "Divining for Bodies",by the Daily Telegraph Tuna.I'm a very open minded person,and i for one know,that the proof is always in the pudding.There is more credibility to the story about the young boy,who whilst passing a magician at the fair yelled out,Hey magician,can you pull a rabbit out of your hat?and the magician replied,I can do better than that son,i can pull a "hare" out of my ar*e. So the moral of the story is,at least,the magician was being honest.

Cheers kon61.

Last edited by kon61 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:50 pm

madtuna wrote:Yeppers Curley..will have to!
I watched the wire move in this guys hand at the same spot every single time.. but when he showed me how and got me to do it....not a cracker!
You are on Trouty. We will perhaps have to get the dowsing fluids warmed up with a scotch or two! (It cant hurt anyhow What a Face )
narrawa wrote: Curley, pop round tomora at lunch, have something for you.
Dont tell me you have some old fencing wire, or is the Virgin Mary sleeping over? clown
Cheers
Curley

Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:25 pm

On some forums LRLs and Dowsing have their own section as it is a very controversial subject. I would suggest that it would be appropriate that this forum should start a special section if this is to continue. (and then I won't have to see it)
Billsymo, you sound just like Tim Williams (known as the LRL man) I think you two would get on just fine. I have never seen a rich Diviner, but I have seen a rich detectorist. That says it all in my book.

Panther

Last edited by Panther on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Billsymo, LRL = Long Range Locator (Scam Machine)
Tim Williams loves and sells that stuff but his Arc Geo logger seems to have some followers.
http://www.lrlman.com/

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  manicnut Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:11 am

eye was up the Peel river three years ago and had arrived to set up for the morning dig. The spot was good for gold, the wash kept giving and the bedrock was oh so close to the top. The grams of gold beakoned. My mate said 'Whats that" and pointed up the river bed to a bloke with a gold nugget diving stick walking towards us. He was swinging it wildly and widly. He had attached a small nugget on the end of a thin tree branch and, after talking it up some, he decided to give us a demonstration. The horror was when he walked straight towards where we going to dig. My jewellry box. Anyway, he walked over the spot, covered some more areas, frowned a little and said there was no gold to be found here. He asked why we were setting up here because there was no gold. Any spot is good was replied. I gleefully scoffed under my breath, sucker. However, as it turns out, he was correct. We dug the whole day and were lucky to get 20 bits each. His gold nugget diving stick was spot on. I am a believer brother.

manicnut
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  opalngold Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am

I’m a believer, I use the wires for finding faults in opal country, they don’t find opal but they do narrow the country down. [You must have faults to make opal, but you don’t need opal to make faults] so there are a lot of barren faults out there as well. In gold country I use a minelab.
Cheers Greg. Oh, and may the force be with you.

opalngold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:49 pm

My Grand farther was a gold miner of the Old School, very tough, very knowledgeable in regards to gold mining, Geography & Geology. He could divine water and was responsible for many successful wells. He was able to tell you where best to dig for water with or without his willow divining fork, based on his knowledge of the terrain, vegetation, trees & grass & climate.
He was also very crafty & if people wanted to pay him to walk over their land with his divining fork in order to tell them where to put down a well, that was fine with him, but it was his knowledge of the land, geology, climate & vegetation that enabled him to locate where water was likely to be. In any given region of this country grandad new how far down the water table was and how much it varied from season to season.

Mum said that on one occasion as a child she saw the willow almost twist out of her pops grip after it at first began moving erratically up and down. Grandad would then stomp his feet on the ground and when the number of stomps equalled the depth beneath the ground surface that the water was, then the willow would be still.
Like I said, Grandad was very crafty Wink He was not an old man at the time being in his late 20s and extremely fit
From running a farm, digging shafts and trapsing on foot all over this country in search of gold.
Home was Bonang and he had a mine (the Bullrush mine) at a place called Hadens Bog. I know for sure that he got as far as Coober pedy because I still have some opal that he got from there as well as some nice reef gold that came from the Bullrush. He also used to tell us stories about the Palmer River gold fields (so he realy got about!) and would put the wind up us kids by telling stories about the whiteman skulls and bones that he found in abandoned aboriginal camp fires up that way. Apparently the Aborigines were a bit patial to having a bit of Chinese for tea every now and then. affraid

Just out of curiosity; how do you tell your divining rod, fork or wires what it is you are trying to find? And more to the point, how does the divining device understand you? And then adjust itself to react in a kinetic manner only when it has somehow tuned itself to you and the chosen target.

In order for an object to be moved it has to have a force applied to it that is greater than that which is holding the said object still. So, you can push it, lift it move it magnetically, but for divining to work there has to be some other force that we do not know about that can be generated within us and cause a reaction in an object that is not visible, buried, underwater, in yer pocket, on the moon and completely disconnected from us in all physical manner. Now because that unknown force is not physical or magnetic or electrical then it has to be a force that can overcome gravity (in order to move the rods or willow or wires) that can be directed from a person to an divining rod to an unknown, out of sight object that the diviner can tune his anti gravity force in to and he has to be able to direct this force in such a manner that it does not cause any other object to be effected that is not what he is looking for Shocked I think I am beginning to understand why nobody has claimed any of those prizes mentioned in previous posts. Smile

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:18 am

Narrawa, you forgot one other thing in your list of "I don't believe in" ... the qwedy. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The guys that drilled my bores in Qld (5 in total) all found them by divining. They were also spot on with their depth estimate. The only thing they couldn't tell me was whether the water was drinkable.

I believe

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:26 pm

G/Day Billsymo.
Only take your posts down if you think there is something wrong, not because of a few Sh..t slingers. I have been known to toss a bit of it about and copped a bit in return. This is a pretty good forum with a lot of fairly reasonable and cluey members and you are free to state your opinion on a wide range of topics.You cannot please everybody so there will always be those who will have a dig at you or disagree with your point of view. Isn't that what creates discussion and gets problems solved?
If you want to have a go back at them then say something nasty about their ML PI detectors. That will realy stir them up. Very Happy
Keep the posts coming mate.

Cheers,
Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  manicnut Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Billysmo reminds me of the bloke who has something to say around the campfire with a beer or rum in hand but then goes to bed at 8 pm in winter. I read your posts and thought them fair. Was it my diving in and not divining that caused a crack. Eye thinks regret is more for the quiet type, the non typer as it were. So why blog!

manicnut
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:17 am

the only thing i want to add is to goldstalker... watch what you call people lol. AdrianSS isnt an Ass tongue

and Billsymo, speak what you believe, as we all do. Thats what keeps conversation going Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:52 am

Maybe I am an ass. It only just dawned on me as in Donkey ASS. Sleep
No matter tho, my skin is so tough I doubt that a depleted uranium anti tank round could get through it. pirat

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 am

cheer up, i was just stirring you up tongue
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:27 am

Jeez, leave me alone youse blokes, I fink I iz gunna cry, It woz bad enuf wen me cat died Sad
Hey! maybe I could use Adrian RS that way I could be ARS or Adrian Rat SH..t Very Happy
I dun mind ASS on acarnt ov I aden't twigged to thu uvr meanin on acarnt ov I iz a bit slo. Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:32 pm

Well!...... G/Day TheHOward,
Sorry bout that I hadn't Checked your profile. Embarassed I guess the Ass fits.
I will be more careful in future.
Thanks for defending my Ass!! cheers Very Happy Very Happy

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

hey thats quite okay tongue i work with blokes (the only female there, lol) and i do bloke hobbies (prospecting, fishing, boating etc) I wasnt offended, just being cheeky coz thats what i do best What a Face

well i better get off here and start the new year drink sampling since im the bar tender tonight (see, another bloky thing, hehehe)..

Happy new year all Very Happy
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:50 pm

TheHOward,
Happy New Year and also to all you blokes. drunken I know it's a bit early, but I might not be upright by midnight. Very Happy Wink

Cheers cheers
Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next