Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case for Goldseekers 15000 coil

2 posters

Go down

Case for Goldseekers 15000 coil Empty Case for Goldseekers 15000 coil

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:54 am

Gday

I have a goldseekers 15000 that I have been messing about with, thought it might be ok for the kids to use on the beach, anyway it works well but the plastic on the coil body had cracked and gone very brittle, so I thought that seeings it is beyond repair I would finish the job and open it up to see what its like inside.

The inside section is perfect, its a dd coil about 8" in size, so a coil body from say any minelab 8" mono or similar coil will probably do the job, not long back I binned an old 8" coil that had been laying about the place and didnt work, didnt even think about using it for that at the time.

So if you have something I could possibly use in the 8" size range and with mounts that would fit the standard minelab type shaft let me know, even if you have a goldseekers coil that you want to get rid of pm me please.

Thanks

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Case for Goldseekers 15000 coil Empty Re: Case for Goldseekers 15000 coil

Post  grumblebum Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 am

could it be repaired with fibreglass? or epoxy and carbon fibre?

grumblebum
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:29 am

Gday

The original casing was too far gone to even fibreglass or repair with epoxy, the plastic was very soft and broke away easily to the touch so there was no point trying to save it, so I figured a new case would be the way to go, being such an old machine getting a replacement coil at a realistic price would be hard I think.

For what it is I could probably fashion a case from ply wood and paint it to mositure proof it a bit, the inside part of the coil like I said is perfect, its windings are imbedded into that hard foam stuff and bonded in with epoxy, got me wondering why they didnt make an 8" dd coil for the pi machines?

Anyway will have to wait and see, thanks for the suggestion on the fibreglass etc.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  grumblebum Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:44 am

Hi Stayer

I've been looking into Windgenerators. there is a site here that shows how to build the alternators which they then cast in epoxy ( scroll down to the tutorial ). I'm wondering if you can make a mould for your coil then do the same?

regards

Mark

grumblebum
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Rov Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi stayyerAU .pm sent.
Rov