Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detecting in the wet

+3
spidertice
goldtimer
deutran
7 posters

Go down

Detecting in the wet Empty Detecting in the wet

Post  deutran Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 am

Just wondering if anyone is setup for detecting with these weird weather patterns.How do you protect all your gear?
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Detecting in the wet Empty Re: Detecting in the wet

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 pm

hi kingfish, i made a cover that covers the box. i made it out off a dry as a bone that i had. then i have drilled 2 holes in the lip on the back cap in front off the 2 screws so if it does get water it will not hold in the back cap. i go out when it's only showers.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:16 pm

this is the 2 holes that i put in
Detecting in the wet Image029

this is the cover
Detecting in the wet Image030
Detecting in the wet Image031

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for that stoppsy,there,s nothing worst than those brief showers usually just as your on to a good target.I,m going to think this over and see what I can come up with.Often wondered if that water in the back plate gets inside the detector.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:43 pm

no probs mate, i don't know if the water would get in there.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Some of us just use a plastic shopping bag over the control box, and carry it between the control box cover and control box when not in use. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:04 pm

i use to do that but use to get Moisture in the bag. that's why i thought i would do the cover to let it breath.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:26 pm

I just use the Infinium, works well and loves the wet weather. HE,HE,HE, HE. Razz AHHH the dream of all the Minelabers to have a WP 5000 Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Now that's one thing that I think Minelab need to do - Make a Waterproof gold PI like the infinium. Maybe they wouldn't be able to have a digital interface, but even if they made a new model that was just like a hotted up 3500 or something, with a fully waterproof housing... It could be a great midrange detector.....
bounce

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  spidertice Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Adrian SS wrote:I just use the Infinium, works well and loves the wet weather. HE,HE,HE, HE. Razz AHHH the dream of all the Minelabers to have a WP 5000 Razz

I watched a side x side test of the infinium and a xterra 70, ,, and from the results of that test all mine lab would have to do is put glad wrap over the xterra,,
spidertice
spidertice
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 am

Yeah, the plastic bag...or the inside of my 4by depending on how heavy it gets. Very Happy
Someone occasionally flogs a bespoke cover on ebay with end flaps.

Gotta remember though...some coils aren't very waterproof...or speakers, enhancers, batteries etc. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Nah... it's no fun when it rains. I can wait sunny sunny sunny

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:15 am

spidertice,

Hey! Are you a funnin me son?
I know the X Terra 70 is a good machine but it dosen't cut the mustard in seriously hot ground. When it can detect a 0.5gm nug through 4 inches of solid iron ore then it will be as good as my Infinium on gold.

X Terra, does that mean it used to be a terrer (ex) but now it's a pussycat. Very Happy
Still I woudn't mind having one to compliment my Sov at the beach.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Adrian; I think the "X Terra" logo stands for "extremely terrified" of hot ground.

Cheers kon61,
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 pm

kon61.

HA! good one. Typical of all VLF machines. Ya have to choose the right tector for the job.

Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Adrian SS wrote:spidertice,

Hey! Are you a funnin me son?
I know the X Terra 70 is a good machine but it dosen't cut the mustard in seriously hot ground. When it can detect a 0.5gm nug through 4 inches of solid iron ore then it will be as good as my Infinium on gold.

Detecting a 0.5 gram gold nugget through 4 inches of Solid Iron Ore with an Infinium LS would truly be amazing.!! scratch

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:35 pm

My apologies Ivan, That should have read 4cm.

Adrian Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:25 am

Ivanl,

I just ran a couple of quick checks with my Infinum.
With the 8 inch mono the machine can easily detect a 1.4gm nug through 90mm of combined iron ore and an iron meteorite(total weight 3.5kg) it will detect a 0.22 gm nug through 40mm of solid iron ore and will detect a 0.5gm nug through 40mm of ironstone (1kg piece) with the coil 100mm above the stone and the nug under the stone. This is the same as the air test figure for this nug. the stone alone gives a mild low tone.
It will detect the 0.5gm nug through the combined meteorite iron and ironstone (combined thickness 130mm) with the coil not quite touching the iron ore/iron meteorite. The meteorite alone gives a weak lo/hi hi/lo warble

Adrian SS

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:21 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 am

ehem.... im an xterra user and i like it Crying or Very sad
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:52 am

Who are you kidding 100cms above the ironstone thats a metre. I'll say no more

Alf
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:55 am

Adrian take your detector up to Cannoona about 60kms north of rockhampton Qld. Mate, if what you say you will the only one capable of detecting the area properly, you'll load up with Kilos

Alf
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:58 am

Sounds like the Infiniums getting more powerful with each test Adrian. Try backing off on the voltage before the machine detonates.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:17 am

Sorry I am getting worse by the day. Those figures should be in mm. I have corrected the post. Thanks for bringing my atten to the error. It must have been the valium. Very Happy

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Adrian SS wrote:Ivanl,

I just ran a couple of quick checks with my Infinum.
With the 8 inch mono the machine can easily detect a 1.4gm nug through 90mm of combined iron ore and an iron meteorite(total weight 3.5kg) it will detect a 0.22 gm nug through 40mm of solid iron ore and will detect a 0.5gm nug through 40mm of ironstone (1kg piece) with the coil 100mm above the stone and the nug under the stone. This is the same as the air test figure for this nug. the stone alone gives a mild low tone.
It will detect the 0.5gm nug through the combined meteorite iron and ironstone (combined thickness 130mm) with the coil not quite touching the iron ore/iron meteorite. The meteorite alone gives a weak lo/hi hi/lo warble

Adrian SS

0.5 gram Gold nugget detected through 40 mm ironstone + 100 mm of air space, still amazing.

An excellent rendition of extraordinary Infinium LS capability.

Test results; no doubth on every Gold prospecting Infinium users wish list.

Guess it's another one of those things one is not destined to see or experience first hand.

A 3th party YouTube Video with sound of the tests, would be interesting.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:38 pm

I agree and when it is to my satisfaction with good sound qual it will be on youtube.
Although from what I have read over the years it would seem that my Inf is better than most and putting a vid up on youtube might cause more questions that I cannot answer. I have no idea why my detector is as good as it is? Just a fluke maybe.

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Mr. A.SS,

Prehaps invite a number of Infinium users over for a test session and a cuppa, it should shed some light on the phenomenon,.......... heck it might be all Infiniums are aqual in performance, given the same test conditions apply.

When prospecting I use the same tape measure as I use when beach hunting to check the depth of a find, many finds are between 12 to 18 inches as indicated by the numbers on this tape, very encouraging and ego boosting the first 6 + inches on this steel tape have rusted away due to wet beach sand; not to worry, an inch is an inch no matter where on the tape one starts from. Smile

Anyway back on track and "Detecting in the wet".
Often I carry a lightweight Poncho if clouds indicate there might be a chance of elevated humitity.
On a day trip requiring a distace hike by foot, a large ex. army Poncho is carried in case the day trip somehow extends into an overnight stay on the way.

ivanll

Last edited by ivanll on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : line adjustment)

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down