Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mind boggling!

2 posters

Go down

Mind boggling! Empty Mind boggling!

Post  Pebbles Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:14 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-24/voyager-1/103761504

When I read these sort of things, I just sit back and shake my head in amazement and marvel at the talent of the people who can achieve it.
How this little space insect could travel so far without hitting anything or getting hit, is also simply unbelievable.

I have also wondered what sort of battery this little space craft uses . Of course Google was able to inform me that “Voyager 1 has three radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs) mounted on a boom. Each MHW-RTG contains 24 pressed plutonium-238 oxide spheres. The RTGs generated about 470 W of electric power at the time of launch, with the remainder being dissipated as waste heat.”

As I once read many years ago, that there has been an alarming increase in the number of things that I know less and less about!

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-06-04

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mind boggling! Empty Re: Mind boggling!

Post  adrian ss Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 pm

Voyager will likely travel for an eternity and never hit anything solid. It could pass through the Andromeda galaxy and  not encounter / run into anything at all..... Hell it is possible for the Earth to pass through our galaxy without ever running in to anything at all.

Voyager 1 is moving at around 61,000 kph and at that speed it will take 10,000 years to reach the closes star to Earth not inc the sun.....We have a lot of work to do if we are ever to achieve usable inter stellar travel velocities.
   Even at the speed of light 186,000 mpsec (300,000 kpsec it will take 4.5 years to reach that same region in space.
Didja know?
The Earth is moving through space fast and in one lifetime we will have traveled 479 billion kilometers from that point in space where we were born and the night sky does not change coz we are sooooo freaking small.

Better to try to save what we have than to try to reach the unreachable.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4365
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down