Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place

5 posters

Go down

whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place Empty whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place

Post  hotrock Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:21 pm

If you have a miners right but accidently detect in a place you are not supposed to, l am not talking about private land but government or public land where you are not supposed to , for example if you accidently crossed over from a place you are allowed to dectect to a place you are not and a park ranger comes along,would he most likely just let you off with a warning if its the first time or would there be a fine , how much would the fine be , how serious is it, would you even have to go to court or something

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place Empty Re: whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place

Post  adrian ss Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:45 pm

Varies between States. But if you can convince the Ranger or person of authority that you did not know you had drifted into a no go zone and you will restore any disturbed ground to as it was before you started digging and the ranger is a normal thinking human being then you will likely get off with a warning of some kind otherwise fines can be up around 18000 dollars in extreme cases and you could have your tecta impounded.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4363
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place Empty Re: whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place

Post  hotrock Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:17 pm

adrian ss wrote:Varies between States. But if you can convince the Ranger or person of authority that you did not know you had drifted into a no go zone and you will restore any disturbed ground to as it was before you started digging and the ranger is a normal thinking human being then you will likely get off with a warning of some kind otherwise fines can be up around 18000 dollars in extreme cases and you could have your tecta impounded.

Oh my god $18,000:face: What a Face . but that would be an extreme case or repeat offender, what would the typical fine be in victoria for first offender if the ranger decided to fine ? if the ranger doesnt believe you accidently wondered on the land

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:26 pm

Yeah well I guess if you had set up a hydraulic sluice and and were blasting away the hillside above the river then he might get a bit peed off aye! Very Happy  

Do not know what a minimum fine might be but you might not see much change out of 300 bucks and maybe have yer tecta crushed. affraid Q35
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:53 pm

$18,000 fine Shocked affraid  Easy there Adrian. Laughing  Most likely you'll get told to pack it in & move to an area where you are allowed to detect in.
Besides what do you think Parks & wildlife rangers here in Vic are? bandana wearing bandito's, waiting behind every tree/bush track, ready to  hold up & rob the unwary prospector of their possessions? Shocked Q35
In todays times, there really isn't any excuse to not know where you are going to prospect over. All one has to do is google Parks Victoria for all or any info regarding borders of National Parks & or Crown Land/State Forest.

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:44 am

https://www.vic.gov.au/avoid-prospect-penalty-when-fossicking-summer

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en-AU&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=what+is+penalty+for+fossicking+in+illegal+area&iflsig=AO6bgOgAAAAAZWJbIsoPE6J8rCy7b3KhyQXik01vyyMD&gbv=2&oq=what+is+penalty+for+fossicking+in+illegal+area&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3..0i512i546l4.28004.57854.0.58434.46.46.0.0.0.0.270.7500.2j41j3.46.0....0...1.1.34.heirloom-hp..2.44.7098.GjUBD3v3S-s

Yeah my 18,000 guess was a bit conservative . Big fines can apply. pale.......Remember to put those "Earth Rocks " back where you found them and Fill in those bloody holes !!
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  LongBrown Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:23 pm

It suppose the end penalty all boils down to who you’ve annoyed.
Parks may issue a limp dicked warning but some psychopath might want to take your life as penalty.

LongBrown
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2023-02-20

adrian ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:22 pm

You get my drift. Very Happy
Yeah we all know the type.

They have an IQ of 1 but think it is 151; they are put in control over a area of country scrub and if you are spotted moving a grain of dirt they scream OMG!! OMG! you cannot do that here this is protected land OMG mate this is going to cost you big time ! You blokes never learn, you gunna do time over this infraction mate! Hoo boy yesserie your going down for moving that bit ov dirt without a permit. Ive been in charge here for years n years and you are the first bloke ever to move a bit of dirt here in years; No way can I let you get away with that mate, hell no yer going down. Laughing clown...Just kidding, just kidding.

Last edited by adrian ss on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

xmas tree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:59 pm

Nah, all the parks people I've met and bumped into are very reasonable people.
It's the old saying, treat them with some respect and they'll do like wise. We are all adults here ??
The same goes with the coppers? start being a smarty pants and they'll get their hackles up?
If you've made an honest mistake I think they'll cut you a little slack Question

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Reg Wilson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:19 pm

whats the penalty if you accidently detect in wrong place Screen11
Some of the parks Vic maps are poorly defined?
Having two green coloured fields makes it difficult to distinguish the areas allowed to detect.
Plus there are no blown up/enlarged maps with extra details outlining prohibited areas that I can find???
Acting dumb when in a restricted area might not be acting What a Face

cheers moredeep

moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:49 am

moredeep wrote:Nah, all the parks people I've met and bumped into are very reasonable people.
It's the old saying, treat them with some respect and they'll do like wise. We are all adults here ??
The same goes with the coppers? start being a smarty pants and they'll get their hackles up?
If you've made an honest mistake I think they'll cut you a little slack  Question

cheers    moredeep

Since when is being a Smarty pants a criminal offense.
    If a person of authority increases a fine or punishment simply because somebody back-chatted them  (An overkill reaction) then that person is being a wuss and over reacts in an attempt to "Save Face" and as a result, is unlikely to gain much respect from his victim.

I will say that in all my years of scratching around for gold I have only encountered a ranger once. which was in easy country near Wedderburn....Possibly because their 4wds could not access the gorges and valleys that I got in to (walking, climbing, slipping n sliding access only). Those were the days. Camp Fire

The Ranger was a good bloke , we rescued a roo that had fallen down a shaft
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  LongBrown Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:11 pm

In my experience it’s just easier to go with the grain when it comes to the authorities.
Those who discharge firearms, as warning to leave an area they have no rights over are the ones that you have to watch out for.

LongBrown
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:41 pm

Yes had that happen to me once in the Wedderburn area not far from Hard Hill back in the 70s. Some dick took a potshot at me with what sounded like 22.
Fun times back then. Had another dh try to break into my wagon one night while I was sleeping inside. He got a surprise when I launched out the door with 222 in hand.  Lucky for him & me ole bettsy wasn't loaded. or maybe it was Smile He Piled into his car and screamed off up the road.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  LongBrown Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:20 pm

There are some strange folk around the Vic goldfields.
Is there something in the local water ??

LongBrown
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:59 pm

Back in the 59-60 era when we lived in Korong Vale just down the road from the Burn there was plenty of stuff in the water, well there was in the water that came out of our taps coz it was always brown. Rolling Eyes Laughing That water was so hard you could put it through a stamper and find gold in the sludge. Q24
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk, big fella, xmas tree and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down