Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery replacement.

3 posters

Go down

Battery replacement. Empty Battery replacement.

Post  Axtyr Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:08 am

G'day everyone.

Has anyone had the need to replace the battery in their wireless module?

My WM12 for the 7000 is 8 years old now and I opened it up to see what battery it had inside. It's a LiPo battery, 3.7V and 950mAh.

Unsurprisingly there are many replacements available but not at the same mAh rating. They are cheap enough though at about $15.00. I wonder how much Minelab charges? They will probably require it to be sent back to them but it is easily replaced if you can get the right battery.

I haven't opened the detector's main battery pack yet and if anyone knows what battery is powering that, I would also like to know.

Thanks, Axtyr.

Last edited by Axtyr on Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update.)

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Battery replacement. Empty Re: Battery replacement.

Post  peterinaust Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:38 am

Daves Gold replaced his for the 7000 and pretty cheap. His post was maybe on here or another forum, will see if I can find it later.

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:40 am

Correct me if I,m wrong, mAh basically is how long the battery will work for? [hours of use]
As long as the battery is 3.7 v you could get a: say, 1.5 mAH as long as it fitted in your unit??

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1862
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:09 pm

Axtyr wrote:G'day everyone.

Has anyone had the need to replace the battery in their wireless module?

My WM12 for the 7000 is 8 years old now and I opened it up to see what battery it had inside. It's a LiPo battery, 3.7V and 950mAh.

Unsurprisingly there are many replacements available but not at the same mAh rating. They are cheap enough though at about $15.00. I wonder how much Minelab charges? They will probably require it to be sent back to them but it is easily replaced if you can get the right battery.

I haven't opened the detector's main battery pack yet and if anyone knows what battery is powering that, I would also like to know.

Thanks, Axtyr.

Hi Axtyr, if you are a member of PA forum. do a search WM12 battery replacement and Daves post should come up.

PS looks like davsgold is a member on here. Maybe you could contact him on here . Cheers

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:13 am

Thank you everyone.

After I posted I googled the replacement and Davsgold's post did come up on the Detector Prospector site and I found the link to where he got his.

The original batterry is a MINMAX 3.7V 950mAh with a product code of LP603448.

I did consider a 2200mAh one but thought better about the charge time required, about 6 hours to fully charge, so I didn't check the dimensions. This one has lasted 8 years now and is still going so I will replace when required.
I almost purchased a 1100mAh one. It was the same length and a little less wide and 8mm thick. Davsgold's post mentioned a thickness of 6mm so it may not have fit into the space. I worry about these type of batteries from China that may not have the appropriate over charge protection circuitry.

It took a while but I found Davgold's post on Detector Prospector. The replacement battery was sourced from Core Electronics in Newcastle.

The product number is: 603450 and it is an 1100mAh battery so will take only about 20% longer to charge and should last about 20% longer as well.

Thanks again, Axtyr.

Last edited by Axtyr on Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info.)

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:53 pm

All good information. I will probably after go through the same thing to replace mine someday.

Cheers

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down