Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ground Balance Hip replacement

2 posters

Go down

Ground Balance Hip replacement Empty Ground Balance Hip replacement

Post  swagman Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Gday all just been having a bo peep at the dvd that came with the 4500 in particular the instructions for ground balancing and i would be most interested to hear from someone who has a hip replacement as i have 1 and due to get another next month, they say in the instructions to remove all metal objects such as belt buckles rings and watches just wondering if the metal femoral prothesis is going to cause any interference as it is not exactly removable.
Cheers
Swagman
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Ground Balance Hip replacement Empty Re: Ground Balance Hip replacement

Post  Guest Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:45 pm

How old are you swagman?

After your second hip replacement, you will find it harder to bend down and to get back up.

I have a friend who got both hips done which ended his days of gold prospecting.

Some say to avoid getting your hips replaced and to look for other ways to manage your pain.

But that again depends how back your condition is of course.

Back to top Go down

Post  swagman Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 am

I guess it depends on the person and their will to be able to continue living life to the full hoping to find out from someone who has a replacement whether it causes any problems when ground balancing.
Cheers
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gladstone Gander Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Any metal in proximity to the coil is likely to interfere with the signal , especially if it gets close to it . The hips are a fair bit away , but as long as you are aware that it could be a potential problem then you are
on the right track . It would be more obvious when you crank up the settings , as I have found that the pick on the hip is picked up when the settings are pushed to the max and I have to place it away a bit more
when on the ground sorting the dirt and target . Low and slow , keep the coil well forward at all times to give it your best shot .
The main thing is you are out and about and having a go , its both good for the mind and body and will work wonders for your recovery after a hip replacement op .
All the best along the way .
Gladstone Gander
Gladstone Gander
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  swagman Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Gday Gladstone seems you read the same comics as me in your youth maybe even uncle scrooge striking the mother lode in the klondike lol .. I thought being as far away as the hip that it should probably be right I thonk minelab just getting a bit carried away with their instructions bit hard to get rid of all metal as even the blunstone type boots with no laces have a reinforcing bar in the sole but thanks for the reply say gday to gyro when ya see him lol
Cheers
Swagman
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  swagman Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:30 pm

In retrospect I probably could have answered the question myself seeing how they have pick holders on some harness belts that are available and going by the xray pic a pick head is a whole lot bigger than a hip prosthetic and in the same general region.
Cheers
swagman
swagman
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down