Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A surprising find.

5 posters

Go down

A surprising find. Empty A surprising find.

Post  Axtyr Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:09 pm

It was a great day out on Tuesday. I was expecting it to be zero degrees out there but when I arrived it was around 9 degrees.

I got a few early signals but all were rubbish. It’s amazing how many pellets are down in what appears to be virgin ground. I was detecting the rise of the creek bank when I got a good signal over a quartz rock. I kicked the rock away and the signal was still there. I did a small scrape off the top and it was still there. A bit more dirt was removed and underneath appeared to be quartz and the signal was in that.

A few hits with the pick and some serious swinging was required. This was really hard pipe clay and what could have been decomposed slate. It was hard and it was quite a while before I managed to break off a piece. I eventually broke off a football sized chunk of rock and the signal was in that and it was a good signal. It had to be gold. I broke off a piece and the signal was in there. I broke that up as much as I could and the gold was now visible but not much. I decided I would have to take it home and extract the piece.
A surprising find. JysJ0j7

I checked some of the other pieces and there were signals in them as well. I checked the football sized piece and there was gold speckled through one area and so I gathered up all the loose rock to take home so my granddaughter could help break it up and find her own gold. Some of the rocks I gave to Wayne.
A surprising find. IejZ6Kr

After this I moved closer to the car and managed to find another 2 small pieces.

First order of the day yesterday morning was to extract the large piece of gold. It didn’t take long before a 1.53 gram piece was out. A bit more crushing and another 2 reasonable pieces were out.

As for the rock crushings, I had mixed results. Some of them yielded poor returns with only a few specks in them while the others had quite a lot of fines in them. Surprisingly my 11 year old granddaughter was very happy to crush the rocks up. I thought she would last only a few minutes but she kept going and also had a go at panning off the crushings.

For the big pieces for the day they weighed; 1.53 gram, 0.14 gram, 0.1 gram, 0.12 gram and 0.2 gram
A surprising find. W9OxmNg

All the fines weighed in at 3.25 grams.  Not as good as Joe82's fines but the return was hugely better than what I usually come home with in detected gold.
A surprising find. RY9F05N

The next trip will include a large bucket and garden pick to bring home more of the rock.

Good luck out there everyone. Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Detectist, AnnieL, Oldfella, hiluxer and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

A surprising find. Empty Re: A surprising find.

Post  Kon61gold Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm

That's the amazing/fascinating thing about gold trapped within specimens. One just don't know what or how much gold hides inside them.
Top going, well done Axtyr. cheers

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4509
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldfella Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm

Nice finds there Axtyr Very Happy
Oldfella
Oldfella
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 pm

Great find! No doubt you will be heading back there soon? There has to be more tucked away. Very Happy
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:15 pm

Better get fit Axtyr; a bit of digging coming up?,a stick of geli would be handy Laughing cheers

cheers     moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1865
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down