Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you clean your gold?

+2
rockhunter62
maurifree
6 posters

Go down

How do you clean your gold? Empty How do you clean your gold?

Post  maurifree Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi All, looking for some advice on how to clean this piece of gold. Tried ultrasonic bath, vinegar and the old scrub with soap and water. All suggestions welcome.How do you clean your gold? Img_2015
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2018-11-14

Back to top Go down

How do you clean your gold? Empty Re: How do you clean your gold?

Post  rockhunter62 Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:54 pm

If it is ironstone then hydrochloric acid should work over a few weeks otherwise alibrite.

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2016-03-07

maurifree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Mauriefree.

That looks to be small. For something like that I put it in a plastic film container and cover it with hydrochloric acid and leave it for 24 hours as the acid will slowly soften the stone. After that I fill the container with water to dilute the acid and dispose of it then I use the point of a screw to dislodge as much of the ironstone as possible. If there is any ironstone left I repeat the process until the screw point or toothbrush is able to dislodge it. Make sure the screw point is sharp and thin so you can get it into any tight spots. I use a Tek screw which is used to screw plasterboard to the wall.

Whatever container you use make sure it has a lid on it and keep it in an open area away from any metal and children and irresponsible adults. If you happen to get some acid on yourself just wash it off quickly. Tiny droplets are not dangerous if washed off early. The acid is available from Bunnings in 500ml bottles. I suggest you also put the bottle inside another plastic bottle for safety. The fumes from the acid will rust up ferrous metals.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

moredeep and maurifree like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:01 pm

Three things to remember
1 Don't use Aqua Regia
2 Natural Gold is highly resistant to most Acids.
3 Gold melts at above 1000 °C

Warning when using Acids if you don't know the risks and safety precaution don't use them.

Phosphoric acid (Rust Convertor) will remove Iron stains
Hydrochloric acid (Spirit of Salts) will remove Manganese Stains (Black nuggets) and calcium cement and Iron oxide
Hydrogen fluoride is very dangerous and dissolve silica (quartz and glass)  Alibrite is a weak HFL acid that will remove mill scale and will clean Aluminum and stainless steel and is good for the final cleaning of gold.
Thermal shocks also help remove debris (and some exposed quartz will shatter ) by heating it as hot as you can without melting it and dropping it cold water a few times.
All the acids can be left for many days with out damage to the gold. I have used all of the above some work better on some nuggets and others respond differently depending on the time soaked. Hope this helps.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

GemQ, moredeep, maurifree and BEPGOLD like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm

I was totally unaware of hydrochloric acid when I left some gold soaking in my closed shed for a few days.
BROWN RUSTY TOOLS!!  Embarassed What a Face Laughing Laughing

Cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1860
Registration date : 2018-05-23

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  maurifree Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:58 pm

geof_junk wrote:Three things to remember
1 Don't use Aqua Regia
2 Natural Gold is highly resistant to most Acids.
3 Gold melts at above 1000 °C

Warning when using Acids if you don't know the risks and safety precaution don't use them.

Phosphoric acid (Rust Convertor) will remove Iron stains
Hydrochloric acid (Spirit of Salts) will remove Manganese Stains (Black nuggets) and calcium cement and Iron oxide
Hydrogen fluoride is very dangerous and dissolve silica (quartz and glass)  Alibrite is a weak HFL acid that will remove mill scale and will clean Aluminum and stainless steel and is good for the final cleaning of gold.
Thermal shocks also help remove debris (and some exposed quartz will shatter ) by heating it as hot as you can without melting it and dropping it cold water a few times.
All the acids can be left for many days with out damage to the gold. I have used all of the above some work better on some nuggets and others respond differently depending on the time soaked. Hope this helps.

Looking good after 6hrs in Hydrochloric acid - to be expected lost 10% weight as it had a lot of ironstone. Thanks for the great advice.

How do you clean your gold? Img_2016
How do you clean your gold? Img_2017
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2018-11-14

geof_junk and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:31 pm

It is a good idea to soak gold in bi carb after acid treatment to neutralize residual acid. This will also get rid of any green staining which sometimes results from the use of hydrochloric.
Alibrite is probably the best option as it will remove ironstone and staining but will leave quartz unless left for some time.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

geof_junk and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down