Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Government scam email

5 posters

Go down

Government scam email Empty Government scam email

Post  Travelergold Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:04 am

We recieved this email today.  At first glance you would think it is genuine until you look at the questions. The government agencies never ask for private info.  I always look at sender address info and this did not ring alarm bells.
Government scam email 20200710

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Government scam email Empty Re: Government scam email

Post  boobook Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:12 am

"& Enter the our reference number found......"
Not bad if you fall for it

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Nightjar and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Over $630 million dollars have been siphoned out of Australians bank accounts through fraudulent scams/emails, such that mentioned above, over the last year alone. Cyber crime through this pandemic has reached an all time high & hackers are getting smarter with each passing day. So stay alert & be aware of any fraudulent phone calls or email scams asking you for personal information.

Cheers Management. T25

Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Travelergold.

The sender's address is completely wrong. The 07032020 is not what a government sender would have, and the .com doesn't even have .au at the end. The government never uses .com anyway.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rockhunter62 Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am

The senders address is actually an American date designation.

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:10 am

If you get anything by Email, Messenger or any other sauce, that starts as Dear Sir/ Madam. Or any other beginning, but not you name, it is more than likely a scam. Also if your not sure of the message contact the so called provider of the message, like your bank or Telstra extra, if that is where the message suppose to have come from. But do not use any contact details on that message. Contact them direct through their legal channels and ask them if they had contacted you by any means as you have received a message stating it came from them. I have done this many a time and found out that most of them were scams and did not come from the true sauce.
In saying that I got a message with my name on it that came from the RACV offering a $30 rebate on my membership. I got very suspicions as no one rarely ever offers you a rebate. In the message it told me what to do to collect my rebate by following the prompts. Thinking this is a scam I rang the RACV direct and asked them. Blow and behold it was not a scam and I got $30 put back into my bank account. I told RACV that I thought it was a scam and the RACV told me a lot of people thought that. They are offering $30 as a rebate for all members with roadside assist because of the pandemic and people can't get out and about.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:10 am

This will back up my statement above. I got 2 of these this morning. One at 5.06am and the other 6.12am both saying the same thing. The 2 suppose to have come from Telstra.
I get my Telstra bills emailed to me with my name on it. This one and the other one did not have my name on it. And I also never have them automatically deduct money out of my credit card. Where it says "Get help now" is where they want you to click on. That would then, more than likely, sent you to their scam site or let in viruses onto your PC.  I think a lot of people that have Telstra accounts and could have received this email, may not pick this up as being a scam and click on "Get help now" and then entered into a world of sh!t.
As I said earlier if your not sure of any email as being fair dinkum or not, contact the company or person direct (in this case Telstra) and ask them if they sent you that message. But unfortunately a lot of people don't and end up being scammed. I will now ring Telstra and report this as a scam email. They may be able to track it down. Or at least warn others.
wombat  Wink  

Dear Telstra Customer,
Our attempt to debit your nominated credit card for the bill on
your account was unsuccessful.
the error message we received from your credit card provider was.   Pick-up card ( code 004 ).
What should i do?
Please update your default payment card to continue your membership. Just follow the steps below:

Get help now

a charge can be declined for a variety of reasons, some of which may not be related to the validity of the default payment card. In many cases you simply need to update the expiration date. For more information on why the charge may have been declined, please contact the bank that issued your card.

We hope that you are able to resolve this issue promptly.

Kind regards,
See you online soon,
Telstra Digital Sales and Service

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm

There is some scammers have had lots of extra time to come up with plenty different scams. They will be sucking in more and more with there messages looking more like the real thing.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

AnnieL likes this post

Back to top Go down