Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So how much rain have ya had so far

+4
adrian ss
deutran
moredeep
hugh62
8 posters

Go down

So how much rain have ya had so far  Empty So how much rain have ya had so far

Post  hugh62 Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:30 am

Me 36 mm , around the Nrtn Tablelands area ,Inverell 41 ,Moree 58 ,Armidale 100 ,Barraba 36 .Certainly not drought breaking ,but it's certainly put a smile on our faces .. Very Happy
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

So how much rain have ya had so far  Empty Re: So how much rain have ya had so far

Post  moredeep Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:29 pm

in the setting of Monty python hugh "you lucky lucky b**tard" Laughing
I thinks we got 12/15 mm.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

So how much rain have ya had so far  Empty Re: So how much rain have ya had so far

Post  deutran Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:04 pm

moredeep wrote:in the setting of Monty python hugh  "you lucky lucky b**tard" Laughing
I thinks we got 12/15 mm.

cheers  moredeep
12/15 mm,wow we can only dream of this,zero for us not even a sprinkle.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:04 pm

storms are brewing deutran,hopefully you'll get something.
My back yard still looks like an Indian cricket pitch though.
And that little bit of rain has brought out those little pesky blood suckers Mad ,can't have it both ways I guess Laughing

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Canberra is fairly dry and my back yard had approx 24 mm in 15 to 20 minutes a couple of days ago along with some heavy hail and maybe a storm tonight.
     This month we have had roughly 1/2 the average RF for January. I can walk across the Murrumbidgee at Pine Island where normally it would be over my head.
Rainfall for last year over Canberra was near enough 52% below average.
The radar map shows a bit more rain on the way from SA and into Victoria and over the fire zones in Gippsland.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:07 am

we got 24 mils last night. bounce
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:15 am

The storm did not eventuate , it stayed over the Brindabellas.
One good thing about a drought is that I don't have to mow the lawn...Coz there isn't any.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 pm

2mm all up yahoo
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Radar map looks angry over Canberra at the moment but outside it does not reflect the radar image and is fairly ordinary.
Looking at the map I was expecting severe storm with hail.... Rain is heavy and some mild lightning. The lightning is mainly cloud to cloud.
  Getting a bit of normal hail now(1300). No strong wind at ground level although the clouds are fairly scooting across the sky. So wind is high up.

Just checked the rain gauge. 8 mm in approx 6 minutes. Short and sweet but it all counts.

So how much rain have ya had so far  Rscn0814

1315 and the sun is shining and maybe another little blusterer is about to follow- up what just passed over.
So how much rain have ya had so far  Rscn0815

Well there ya go, another whole mm  Rolling Eyes

Looks like Canberra city copped a hammering and the postie just said he had to get off the road due to the heavy hail not far from us.
]
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:56 pm

I thought you T27 's might of got a bit more than that after what's happening in Melbourne Surprised just the odd sun shower up here now ,if ya lucky enough to be under it .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Canberra city, Bellconnen, Kingston, Manuka got hammered by severe hail that was golf ball size. I saw plenty of cars totally ruined by the hail. One 4 x 4 even had the sun roof collapse. The streets were totally green after the hail shredded the trees
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:06 pm

15mm so far in the towers

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Zero in Perth Q34
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 am

The average annual RF for Canberra is/was 622 mm. 2019 we received 269 mm in my back yard rain gauge.
Even though yesterday delivered severe hail I do not consider it abnormal. I admit that the size of the hail was a tad large. I have lived in Canberra since 1980 and within a few weeks of new Year(usually after) we have almost always copped some wild weather with patchy storm cells. Never the less RF is down for 2019. Also up to the 2003 fires we had been in drought conditions for 12 years. Then the weather began to normalise until last year which was dry and we had fires this year, many of which were deliberately lit and others resulted from out of control back burning that resulted in serious loss of property and animal losses.

I think that back burning should only be carried out by highly trained personal and not placed in the hands of inexperienced people.
Several years ago I confronted some fire fighters back burning in very volatile conditions and was basically told to F off we know what we are doing.
Well they lost control of that fire just after I had got the hell out of the area.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bowenboi Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 am

467 mm for the month of January in the Whitsundays .
55 mm up to today for February .

Last edited by bowenboi on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

bowenboi
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:23 am

Up in Nthrn Tablelands ive had 30 mm ,Inverell 62 ,Moree 14 ,Barraba 17 ,just stormy stuff ,if ya lucky enough to be under them ,good to see a bit of green grass again .. Smile
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:19 pm

looks like a cyclone heading south of Brisbane end of next week check forcast maps for the next 4 days on bom qld site it may (at this stage) make it to the fire ridden parts of VIC poor buggers need a break fingers crossed for them

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Good rainfall here in the past 24 hours at approx 54 mm. Fires in the Brindabella's are out or near enough to it.

There has been good rain all the way down the coast from Sydney to Mallacoota and into SE Vic. This has settled many of the fires but did cause a bit of flooding.
My daughter drove back to Sydney last night and said it was the scariest bit of night driving she has done due to the heavy rain and flooding that almost stopped her from getting back to her abode.....I have never used "Abode" in a sentence before. Gee I feel uplifted. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Well I'm up to 80 mm for Febuary ,45mm just yesterday and started raining again this morning .. Very Happy .. Still very patchy admittedly ,some people around Inverell had virtually zero till yesterday .All up Feb , Moree 25 ,Barrabra 87 ,Inverell 101 ,Tamworth 124 .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down