Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing????

+2
Jack0gold
Vb4meta
6 posters

Go down

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Empty Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing????

Post  Guest Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:30 pm

I find this quite relaxing more so sometimes than using a detector. It can be fun splashing about in the water in the warmer months that will soon be upon us. ( though you would not think so with this weather we are having at the moment). All replys and feedback appreciated. I have a basic 2 foot aluminum sluice.

Back to top Go down

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Empty Re: Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing????

Post  Vb4meta Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:33 am

I guees that depends where you want to go..I take it that you are in NSW?
With these rains I would give it a couple of weeks to settle down before venturing creekside.

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Empty Re: Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing????

Post  Jack0gold Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:41 am

I use a highbanker as well as the detectors and i to quite enjoy splashing around in the creeks in the warmer months. Dont just limit yourself to the creeks themselves, i have found quite a lot of good gold by digging into old mullock heaps on the old workings, puddling it down then running it through the sluice. The old timers were only after the bigger nuggets and left a hell of a lot behind.
Ive done this in many locations around NSW including Nundle, Bingara, Sofala, Hill End and Ophir.
Jack0gold
Jack0gold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Vb4meta Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:58 am

Ive done a fair bit in Vic but only once or twice in NSW, with good results..Any gold bearing creek in Victorias golden triangle is good value if there is water available, which can be an issue in summer, but the creeks closer to vics high country gold areas are good value in summer cos theres flowing water and the climate in summer is good.Ive tried the rivers and creeks around Crookwell in Nsw for good results.I only ever went to WA once with a detector and being new there jagged a couple of nuggets first up out of a creekbed, I often wonder if I went there in the wet season if I could run a lot of fine gold outta that spot through a sluice or similair.

A couple of photos of Vic creek gold..

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Goldalluvial012
Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Goldalluvial015

Believe it or not but that gold came out of one bucket of dirt from a river near shepparton..so Gold can be found anywhere...

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  youngdigger Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:19 pm

"Believe it or not but that gold came out of one bucket of dirt from a river near shepparton"

i find this very interesting, how close to shepp?

youngdigger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:29 pm

explorer wrote:I find this quite relaxing more so sometimes than using a detector. It can be fun splashing about in the water in the warmer months that will soon be upon us. ( though you would not think so with this weather we are having at the moment). All replys and feedback appreciated. I have a basic 2 foot aluminum sluice.
hey explorer you wouldn't mind podting a picture up off your sluice? i'm thinking off making one to take to a new spot that i'm at...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  youngdigger Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:16 pm

hey stoppsy, try this forum http://alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com

plenty of info there on how to go about making a sluice or a highbanker which may be better suited to your area

youngdigger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Stoppsy have a look here HERE You may have to create an account with them to view but some guys have posted pics of thier builds and give a good run through on the topic of making a sluice.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Vb4meta Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:55 am

youngdigger wrote:"Believe it or not but that gold came out of one bucket of dirt from a river near shepparton"

i find this very interesting, how close to shepp?

Within twenty kms of shepp.Some of those biggger rivers have suprises in em, but right now they are running with a damn lot of water in em.

Vb4meta
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi explorer,

Is your sluice a river sluice or a highbanker? I took my riversluice to Hill End but there's not enough water in the creek to run it. LOL.

Dicko..

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Myriversluice009
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

there is now! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Empty A river sluice

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38 am

No fellows mine is just a river sluice which i bought a while back from a prospecting store.
With this rain in NSW and the warmer weather coming a sluice will be taken on most of my trips now with the detector. ( whether i use it or not is a different story ) just depends on the situation I suppose.

Thanks for all replies also on the subject. Interesting posts and great pics also.

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:46 am

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? Large

Most of the goldfields in NSW have pretty decent gold locked away in crevices or old deposits missed by the old timers. I put samples into vials and bottles to show how the gold varies from one location to another but this is some of the leftover material mixed together in the one bottle. It ranges from very fine to coarse.

Places in NSW and Vic to do a bit of sluicing???? 108413427

This was from a handful of dirt on the overburden on a property that I visit sometimes. The creeks on most of the privately owned properties in our goldfields tend to have a bit more gold on them compared to more easily accessed areas that otherwise attract weekly panners.

Areas like the Turon River can offer gold although this particular river has been dredged many times in the past and it's harder to find isolated pockets worth the effort. It's a big river and so there's usually a few spots you can try. Be wary of areas that have seen aggressive panning in the past by the first goldrushes - they'll have some gold there still but it will have been seriously worked by the time you arrive. Better to try the surrounding districts. The gold on the Turon is often quite coarse and it's fairly bright. Right now, all the good spots are pretty much underwater due to heavy rains here. Rivers like the Shoalhaven River are pretty much entirely gold bearing although the gold is quite fine (mustard gold) and as a result may be harder to capture with a sluice.

Further North at the town of Nundle, panning and sluicing is popular. Might be a problem with a powered sluice though because even though legislation appears to allow it, there's a local at Nundle who has convinced council there to restrict their use. In this case, it may be that the council can overrule any prior regulations.

It's up to you to do a little research to find accessible areas although most goldfields here have several places you can try your luck. Locals will often be helpful and will often suggest places for you to go. Should be a thousand creeks and rivers for you to try your hand at here.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down