Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Take on X coils

2 posters

Go down

Another Take on X coils Empty Another Take on X coils

Post  norvic Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:34 am

Well couple of months back, took the plunge and got a 15" X coil, cut my 14" ML lead and made the patch cable. First days use on an old patch, blew me away. Immediately ordered a 10"X and son got a 12" for his Z, cut his 14" ML another patch cable. Now we`ve both been Xed away, these coils have given us what we needed for the Z. In regards to claims that they have been introduced before they are "up to it", simply both my sons and I plus the associated heavy pockets blow that away. Meanwhile sons lost his 12"X, I`ve swapped with the 10"X coil which he`s blown this old codger away with. Having those smaller coils for working narrow gullies, rock strewn or heavily grassed slopes as we had with the PIs, now getting near time to look at a bigger then 15" X.

As before when I defended the 19"ML with my own experiences, I will not be posting photos, that is not my thing for reasons that are only my concern. Can only say that like the 19"ML these X coils are magic, they have quickly proved that old saying "the early bird gets the worm". I have no dramas answering questions about my experience with these coils just please accept you`ll get my answers and no photos, to me the last couple of months use has proven their potential no doubt, tis sucks that we have to make a patch cable to use them and that is the only con I`ve found with them.

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Another Take on X coils Empty Re: Another Take on X coils

Post  daddio Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 am

hi norvic
im looking at getting a 10x coil i was originally thinking the 12x. just wondering if you have notice any differences between the 2 as i believe they are wound differently.
just wondering the new pieces you are finding on your old patch, are they deeper or did the ml14 coil just not see them???
cheers

daddio
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:14 pm

daddio wrote:hi norvic
im looking at getting a 10x coil i was originally thinking the 12x. just wondering if you have notice any differences between the 2 as i believe they are wound differently.
just wondering the new pieces you are finding on your old patch, are they deeper or did the ml14 coil just not see them???
cheers

Yes the 10 is conventional wound wheras the 12 is spiral wound, I`ve found the 10 more sensitive and at the same time more noisy but in sensitivity if your content and patient to handle a noisier coil go the 10 on flogged ground. The 12 has more depth on larger pieces then the 10, I believe the 12X has the edge on the ML14 both in depth and sensitivity. The 12X is currently my patch hunting coil in the current heavy grassed areas up here in NQ.

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  daddio Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:00 pm

thanks norvic
i quite like the noise i run my 14ml on 34 threshold so if the 10x is a tad noisy i think i would be fine with that. do you think it goes roughly as deep as the standard coil or is it just more sensitive to smaller stuff.
thanks

daddio
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:54 pm

daddio wrote:thanks norvic
i quite like the noise i run my 14ml on 34 threshold so if the 10x is a tad noisy i think i would be fine with that. do you think it goes roughly as deep as the standard coil or is it just more sensitive to smaller stuff.
thanks

Nah, whilst I believe the 12"X has the edge on the 14M allround, the 10" beats it on smallness and depth of those titlers but on larger pieces the 14ML beats the 10"X, a proviso there, providing the 14ML is right on the ground eg. if amongst rocks, grass etc the 14"ML can`t get right on the ground but the 10"X can, then the 10"X has the edge no doubt. A difference I found with the 10"X is if you run it in difficult I prefer HY over general wheras with the Spiral WoundXs, and the 14&19MLs I prefer general over HY.

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  daddio Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 am

norvic thanks for your time and thoughts.
just a question about the patch lead not sure how tech savy you are all i know is im not savy at all.
im getting the patch lead made from my 19 inch coil. question is are the 19 chip and 14 chip the same or do they control or make the gpz run differently?
thanks daddio

daddio
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah I don`t think it matters which coil you make the patch cable from, but maybe you should ask Davsgold that question he`ll be able to give you the go. I look forward to seeing how you go, the X coils have added another level to the Zs capabilities, it was a magic MD before it got Xed now tis super magic, have Xing good fun ……………..

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Just back in town again, no phone out where we go detecting. Very Happy

Like norvic has said, I don't think it makes any difference which coil is used to make the patch lead from, we have patch leads made from both the GPZ14 and the GPZ19 and both seem to do the same job, we have 2 GPZ7000's and there is one of each running on these 7000.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  daddio Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi Dave
had my first run with the 10inch yesterday wow it is great. Pats lead worked no problems.
Just wondering about the ground balance. I did it the way you explained in your email but could not get close to balancing out the Minelab ferrite ring. So just wonder on your thoughts on that. Hot rocks it loves them I got more yesterday than I would in a year with the 14 inch coil (don't get me wrong I'm not complaining as I found gold in areas were I thought 😂 I had got it all)
So my thoughts are that is because I didn't or couldn't get a correct ground balance so hence the hot rocks?
It is a great coil and they are very well made.
Any word on arrival of the larger coils.
Cheers Daddio

Cheers Jas

daddio
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:26 pm

G'day Jas

I replied to your email, basically the same questions, glad to hear everything is working, and it will take a bit of getting used to, it does work a bit different to the ML GPZ coils, so a bit of practice is all you need to get the ferrite balance worked out.

Hot rocks, if your running Normal timing will be a pain in the ass, you need to pick the right ground for Normal timing.

HY/Diff or HY/Gen will get rid of most hot rocks, well that is in my experience anyway.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down