Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you need a booster for the 5000

2 posters

Go down

Do you need a booster for the 5000 Empty Do you need a booster for the 5000

Post  the hill folk Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Hey all,

I, at times, use an external speaker. I find the volume ok and, if it's not too windy, I am quite happy with the volume. I have just ordered a "GPX specific" low feed back speaker from Minersden. (Not sure why

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Do you need a booster for the 5000 Empty Re: Do you need a booster for the 5000

Post  Guest Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:54 pm

the hill folk wrote:Hey all,

I, at times, use an external speaker. I find the volume ok and, if it's not too windy, I am quite happy with the volume. I have just ordered a "GPX specific" low feed back speaker from Minersden. (Not sure why

I use a B&Z booster with dual external speakers, on GPX4500/5000 and also on the GPZ7000 and the Mrs uses the same on the SDC2300

On the GPX detectors the B&Z booster plugs into the battery where the headphones socket is and the dual speakers plug into the B&Z booster, the booster runs on 2 x AAA batteries which last for 2 to 3 weeks so long as you remember to turn it off when finished for the day.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  the hill folk Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks Dave.... do the boosters enhance or clarify signal or simply a general volume boost? PS... I like the idea of two speakers. Might need to work on that.

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  the hill folk Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 am

Ooohhhh I just had an epiphany!!!!..... Having a booster may allow you to turn down the threshold knob to a point where it is all but unable to hear, but with the booster you can raise the volume of that near absent hum so you are then able to hear tiny variations ....... Does this make sense to anyone??

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:58 am

the hill folk wrote:Ooohhhh I just had an epiphany!!!!..... Having a booster may allow you to turn down the threshold knob to a point where it is all but unable to hear, but with the booster you can raise the volume of that near absent hum so you are then able to hear tiny variations ....... Does this make sense to anyone??

Exactly, if everyone in the district can hear your detector running other than the operator, then everything like threshold etc is to high, the only time your detector should yell out loud is when it is over a target, and on a deeper softer signal you can hear it also because the signal is not getting drowned out from other settings being to high. Very Happy

Dual speakers are wired in parallel for best results. Wink

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Do you need a booster for the 5000 Empty Thanks

Post  the hill folk Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks mate. All makes sense.

Good luck out there

Dave

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 am

Used B&Z Booster + dual speakers since the SD2100 days, suffered badly with tropical ears using headphones. Speakers mounted high on the shoulders so even on windy days a turn of the head always enabled you to hear signals with ear away from wind.
Regards threshold, when a signal was detected used to switch B&Z into bypass, could still hear while digging and it gave your ears and anyone around you a rest.
Have since sold both B&Z and have moved on too Steelphase SPO1 with dual set up, will see how this set up goes when we get out there this year.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2688
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  the hill folk Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks again. Most helpful.

the hill folk