Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is A YabbyPump A Dredge.

+10
Axtyr
soldier of fortune
harryopal
boobook
nero_design
Reg Wilson
staples61
mogy
Kon61gold
adrian ss
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is A YabbyPump A Dredge. - Page 2 Empty Re: Is A YabbyPump A Dredge.

Post  moredeep Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:24 am

Deadwood was an amazing tv series,never saw the movie though.
it'll suck you in,ian mcShane is a great actor the rest of the cast fantastic also,enjoy.

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1860
Registration date : 2018-05-23

soldier of fortune likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:28 am

Adrain, since you live in Canberra you would need to check the N.S.W. or A.C.T. legislation as to the pump's classification. The document supplied by SoF was for Victoria and that is what I have replied to. Why the department would say it can't be used as a digging tool is anyone's guess because the bait pump would normally be used on beaches and estuaries, not in a freshwater section of a river.
I have a yabby pump myself but never thought to use it for sucking up sand and dirt from a river but I can see how it could be handy for that. The main problem I see with using a yabby pump in a river is the rocks. I know there are areas where it is very sandy as I am always looking for good gold spots in a river I regularly fish, but normally the sand is much deeper than the length of the pump.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:09 am

Does the yabby pump get gold? If it does then it will be used out of site. What damage does it do. Well we are all controlled anyway with a big stick. Evil or Very Mad
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:48 pm

I absolutely agree with you there Geof. If I was to use a yabby pump to find gold, and I wouldn't, I would make sure I had 2 available. One with green camouflage and the other with stone and sand camouflage LOL. You might leave them behind at the end of the day because you can't find them.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

geof_junk and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Axtyr wrote:Adrain, since you live in Canberra you would need to check the N.S.W. or A.C.T. legislation as to the pump's classification. The document supplied by SoF was for Victoria and that is what I have replied to. Why the department would say it can't be used as a digging tool is anyone's guess because the bait pump would normally be used on beaches and estuaries, not in a freshwater section of a river.
I have a yabby pump myself but never thought to use it for sucking up sand and dirt from a river but I can see how it could be handy for that. The main problem I see with using a yabby pump in a river is the rocks. I know there are areas where it is very sandy as I am always looking for good gold spots in a river I regularly fish, but normally the sand is much deeper than the length of the pump.

Regards Axtyr.

Usually the pump has to be modified a bit in order for it to work well as a gold sucker. also it is used to draw gold out of bedrock cracks and from beneath rocks in a river or stream bed and not so much to draw a lot of sand and gravel from deep in the river gravel and sand.
The nozzle is reduced in diameter and sometimes a one way valve is placed inside the main tube body to stop the sucked up stuff from falling out the bottom when the sucker is removed from the river bed. Plenty of gold suckers on ebay that are way better than a yabby pump although I have used one in the creeks around Majors Creek and managed to get it to work sort of ok.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4344
Registration date : 2015-07-03

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:38 am

geof_junk wrote:Does the yabby pump get gold? If it does then it will be used out of site. What damage does it do. Well we are all controlled anyway with a big stick. Evil or Very Mad

It would where i go. The world is becoming too regulated and we can`t legally do things we did 30 years` ago. Some who openly use the yabby pump on online videos may not be aware of the regulations. I can say that i reckon you could use one for tailings in the bush ,though. Some fine stuff i have found fine gold in would have no problem sucking it up.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:46 pm

Got this one from a chap in the States quite a few years ago. Works well.
Draw water gravel and gold up past a non return valve into the pump body and pump it out through a side outlet past an outlet one way valve into the container for panning.....There is a screen inside to limit the size of the gravel being draw up to approx 6mm diam. in order to reduce blockages.
Is A YabbyPump A Dredge. - Page 2 Rscn2112
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4344
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Is A YabbyPump A Dredge. - Page 2 Empty "yabbie pump"

Post  mogy Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:49 pm

People will always look at existing equipment and think "could i use that" we cannot help it , a length of drainpipe and a tennis ball makes a   hand pump , I use several  varying in width and length , woudnt be  without  them ,my hand pumps have never been near a yabbie  but i did find they can clear a blocked drain in two ticks , worth having one  just for that ........ almost

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hover Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 am

Hi , slowly getting back into the dirt research party, YABBIE PUMPS on the beach is the prospecting or bait collecting ,.

hover
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-12-05

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2