Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noisy 8 inch mono

5 posters

Go down

Noisy 8 inch mono Empty Noisy 8 inch mono

Post  Brown Snake Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:30 pm

Greetings Folks,
I am pretty much a newbie to this detecting caper. Back in June I purchased a gpx 45 with a standard 11 inch commander dd coil. With this I managed to find some sub gram bits after taking a while to get my head around the ins and outs of this complicated machine. I then purchased a Commander 18 inch mono and seemed to have mastered it. Recently I found a 3grm bit 300-350mm deep and was stoked.
Now I know a spot, where some mates and I took out about ten ute loads of shallow surface, trommelled it and realised just over 3oz's of fine gold, but with lots of match head sized bits. Thus, I purchased a commander 8 inch mono but am having a hell of a time trying to get it to run quiet and do what I want it to at this productive spot. Result I have found 'zilch' with it. I read some where on this forum that it is possible to get this beast to run quiet, but I dont know how!
Could some kind person who knows, provide me with the correct settings and method of so doing.
Much appreciated,
Ciao,
Brown snake.
Brown Snake
Brown Snake
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Noisy 8 inch mono Empty Re: Noisy 8 inch mono

Post  mulgadansa Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Gday Brown
I'd suggest there's something wrong with the coil.
If you can get an 18" mono to run you shouldn't have any issue with the 8". I've got an 8" mono and it is the easiest, quietest thing in the world (alongside my 14x9 Advantage on the 4500).
Settings. hmmmm? Enhance, RX 8-10, Stab 6-10 and the rest are pretty much cosmetic/user discretion. Don't like"Deep" or the audio quiet etc.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Brown Snake Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Cheers Brett, Thanks for your reply. As stated I'm a newbie but I shall play with it some more before taking it back to the shop.
Ciao,
Brown snake.
Brown Snake
Brown Snake
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Noisy 8 inch mono Empty Noisy 8 inch mono

Post  Brown Snake Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:06 am

Greetings Brett,
Went out yesterday to our 'productive spot' and set up my 45 with the setings you suggested, Enhance, Rx 9, and Stabillity 8. It ran 'sweet as a nut'! And in short time I found six bits to 1.5 grm, biggest .5g! Not sure what I was doing wrong the other day! Thank you for your assistance with this, very much appreciated.
Ciao,
Brown snake.
Brown Snake
Brown Snake
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Delicate sound of thunder Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:04 pm

I have a SD2200 and the 8 inch mono coil is very noisy so I have to hold it off the ground a bit to quiet it down as it just screams with the ground contact but on my 4000 it is as quiet as a mouse. Machine, coils I dont know, others say they are noisy on theirs and some say not...

Delicate sound of thunder
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:40 am

Gday Brown
Good to hear you had a bit of luck.
Now you've got your head around Enhance, you need to try Sensitive Extra. Simply flip the switch from Enhance to Special, scroll through the menu and select Sensitive Extra. Re Ground balance and away you go. Heaps more sensitive but also picks up more ground noise and hotrocks. You can flip from Sens Extra to Enhance easily to check if something is ground noise but make sure you dig the "iffy" ones.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Noisy 8 inch mono Empty try this?

Post  evan2010 Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Gday maybe try in enhance, Audio on boost or Normal gain 8-10 stabilizer 6 motion slow or even Very slow
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  marty Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 am

mulgadansa wrote:Gday Brown
Good to hear you had a bit of luck.
Now you've got your head around Enhance, you need to try Sensitive Extra. Simply flip the switch from Enhance to Special, scroll through the menu and select Sensitive Extra. Re Ground balance and away you go. Heaps more sensitive but also picks up more ground noise and hotrocks. You can flip from Sens Extra to Enhance easily to check if something is ground noise but make sure you dig the "iffy" ones.
cheers
Brett

G-Day Brett, just wondering what you do to quieten it down when your in sensitive extra. I gave it a go and it's definately more sensitive but found it too noisy,tried backing off on gain and stab. but needed to turn them down a fare bit.I think i lost a lot of sensitivity doing that.Any tricks? thanks MARTY

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:14 am

they are a noisy coil, i have one on my 4000 but i can pick out the targets as they stand out pretty well. i run my gain on 10 to 12 and now and then just ground balance to make sure. the 4500 should run it better than my 4000.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Gday Marty/Brown/Stoppsy/all
That's the thing with Sens Extra Marty - it is noisier but much more sensitive. It's just another setting you can use when the conditions allow it. If conditions are such that you have to downgrade your RX or Stab too much, then you could be better off in Enhance or something on that particular day at that site. Definitely worth checking how high you can run your gain and stab and Sens Extra wherever you go but.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  marty Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks Brett, thats great. Ill will try it at different spots and record the settings.It was definatly a lot stronger signal when i tried it but the ground was too noisy.Thanks again for the good advice. cheers MARTY

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down