Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ingress of dirt in Advantage coils inside the spokes

2 posters

Go down

Ingress of dirt in Advantage coils inside the spokes Empty Ingress of dirt in Advantage coils inside the spokes

Post  deutran Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:30 am

Any ideas of how to seal the gaps on the skid plates on the inside of the coils.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Ingress of dirt in Advantage coils inside the spokes Empty Re: Ingress of dirt in Advantage coils inside the spokes

Post  Flakmagnet Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Kingfish,

I see no one has answered your post so I have a few tips
for what they are worth...

Firstly, if you want to keep the coil cover on, put a thin layer of silicon glue around the inside
edges of the coil cover. The same on the outside if the tape is worn.
That should pretty much end your problem.

Secondly, and what I do. Buy some pc -7 epoxy (at least that's what it's called in the States),
it is epoxy without metal in it. I take the coil cover off and toss it in a corner. then I clean the coil well,
put a thin layer of tape half way down the sides of the coil and slather on a layer of the epoxy on the bottom
and half way up the sides of the coil. It does not add much weight. It is super strong and durable. It is easy to
touch up should you wear away some of the epoxy.

fwiw

Flak
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Ingress of dirt in Advantage coils inside the spokes Empty Re: Ingress of dirt in Advantage coils inside the spokes

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:24 pm

good idea Flak.. the Minelab covers are bullet proof but those nugget finders...sheesh! I've wiped my bum on tougher material!

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks Flak for the info,I have 2 coils to do and the silicone sounds good.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:48 am

Gday

Some of the coil covers on the nuggetfinders are a bit on the thin side, I have seen some heavier duty ones that were black, they may have been trial ones so I dont know any more than that.

Be careful if you are thinking about using any sort of glue on the coil body, it could void your warranty, if you need to send it back for a repair they may not fix it, also some glues could effect the integrity of the plastic causing it to crack prematurely.

Another thing is because the skid plates are quite thin it is very easy to break one if you are trying to get it off to clean under it or replace it, this would be a greater risk if it was stuck in place with something like silastic or whatever.

You could of course tape the skid plate on the inside as well, but I have tried this and its difficult and didnt look that effective so I took it back off, another thing that I had in mind was to look about for some thin adhesive backed foam weatherproofing tape that I could stick to the inside of the skid plate, I think if you did this and gently spread the skid plate while re fitting it the pressure of the skid plate closing back in on the foam tape would give it a pretty good alround seal, it should be reasonably dustproof and also keep out some of the mositure as well.

If you get a good seal with a couple of winds of tape on the outside edge of the coil and a good seal on the inside of the skid plate then the only time you would have to take it off would be to replace the plate when its worn out.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks StayyerAU
Great idea will try this one.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down