Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold detecting with knee replacements

+6
boobook
Redfin
Jonathan Porter
Nightjar
Mugshot
adrian ss
10 posters

Go down

Gold detecting with knee replacements Empty Gold detecting with knee replacements

Post  Mugshot Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 am

Gday all have been away from detecting for 8 years in the mean time have had 2 total knee replacements was hoping someone could share info on how much this is going to be a problem with false signals dont want to get geared up and find its not possible
Thanks in advance for any replies

Cheers Guys

Mugshot
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-12-31

Back to top Go down

Gold detecting with knee replacements Empty Re: Gold detecting with knee replacements

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:29 am

I guess it depends on which metal detector and coil you will be using.
If you already have a tecta switch her on and wave it about a bit like you would do when tecting and see or maybe hear what happens.

I would imagine that a 5000 OR 7000 would luv titanium knees. Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Gold detecting with knee replacements Empty Re: Gold detecting with knee replacements

Post  Mugshot Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:06 am

had planned on a 7000 so am guessing any closer then a meter and the fun will start

Mugshot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:46 am

I have a number of customers((male and female) running the 7000 who have had knee replacements. The 7000 is probably better due to the way the coil mainly senses immediately below whereas a monoloop on a PI machine senses a long way fore and aft of the coil. The main one to watch out for is to not bend the knee too much when you are walking as this action brings the metal into the coils receive field.

If you get a chance see if you can loan a 7000 to try, if your set up correctly where you can keep your back straight and the detector shaft at full length without bending your knees too much you should be OK.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Mugshot Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks JP thats a great help

Mugshot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 am

Anything like this JP? Very Happy

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-09-2015/tyktWe.gif

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:00 am

Nightjar wrote:Anything like this JP?  Very Happy

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-09-2015/tyktWe.gif

Ya vol affraid lol!

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 am

If this helps, I have a metal rod plus self tapping screws inside my left tibia from knee to ankle.
With my 4500, any sized or configured coil, I have experienced no problems with interference during detecting.

Being right handed, as I swing the coil to the left I step with my right foot leading, left trailing. This keeps my left leg sufficiently far back to overcome any response.
If stepping over a fallen tree branch etc. and lead with my left foot I do get an occasional chirp, around 50-60 cm. seems to be the distance at which this occurs.

Going through the security detectors at an airport is a different matter though Embarassed
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 am

boobook wrote:If this helps, I have a metal rod plus self tapping screws inside my left tibia from knee to ankle.
With my 4500, any sized or configured coil, I have experienced no problems with interference during detecting.

Being right handed, as I swing the coil to the left I step with my right foot leading, left trailing. This keeps my left leg sufficiently far back to overcome any response.
If stepping over a fallen tree branch etc. and lead with my left foot I do get an occasional chirp, around 50-60 cm. seems to be the distance at which this occurs.

Going through the security detectors at an airport is a different matter though Embarassed
Mike

Now BooBook, that is scary, I could have written that, every word applies to me, the rod, screws, the 4500, the way I walk and swing affraid LOL
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 am

Redfin.
Am willing to wager though, that the result of your tib/fib repair was not quite as dramatic as mine.
When I woke after the surgery, lying on my back, I could see my right foot pointing upright but the left was angled left by about 25 degrees. Shocked
They had engineered a monumental alignment stuff up. Mad

There were other things, including damage to the peroneal nerve which caused foot drop, a problem which resolved itself after around 12 months (nerve healing itself at ~1mm/day)
But I spent 3 more years, as I described it, walking in an anti clockwise circle, until a liability action resulted in my favour followed by a "de rotational osteotomy" being undertaken by Dr. Michael Soloman at the POW in Sydney. Cool

A happy ending, so to speak, but the walking whilst misaligned caused knee ligament stress which I simply live with. No arthritis thank goodness.
Hope you had a better result with no long term effects. Smile
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 pm

I thought mine was dramatic enough, was out bushwalking with a few other blokes and was going down a slight incline when my left foot got trapped beneath an exposed tree root.
I fell forward, my knee locked but I kept going, both tib and fib snapped below the knee, but I kept falling, snap they went again a few inches further, and just before
I hit the ground they both snapped again a bit further down.

The blokes with me panicked, I didn't. Found a straight bit of wood and got them to slide it under and tied it up myself.
No mobile coverage so one had to walk back to the car park, no coverage, he had to drive into Noojee.
Helicopter arrived but tree coverage to thick.
By the time the SES with a stretcher got to me, 5 hours had elapsed.
Luckily they had some pain relief., in the form of the blue whistle.
By the time they carried me down the mountain and took me to Traralgon Hospital, 8 hours had gone.

There was a world champ moto cross event on locally, and there were a team of ortho's in for the week.
Unfortunately for me there were worse injuries than mine, and they never rammed and screwed the rod in for 3 days.
No Plaster, so laid on the couch in a zimmer splint for 6 months, p!ssing in a jam tin. not fun.
Was another 7 months before I was back at work.
Character building to say the least.
Glad I had the foresight to have wage insurance, without it would have been knackered.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Geez bloke, I know we got a bit OT here but it seems one can't just "break a leg" as the theatricals say without some on going drama.
Mine was a situation of falling amongst rocks, had to "wait awhile" till the mate got in range to alert the ambo's, when they arrived the bloody ants were living off me and maybe reckoning this could be a new home for them.

Pain over the 10 mark, one ambo. apologised saying we cant give pethidine any more, but blow through this little square cardboard tube. (your blue whistle?) Several big puffs later I said what the effing hell is this supposed to be doing.....well it don't do anything, but it sure took the yaps outa ya!.

Loaded into a Land Cruiser Troopy ambulance, (we were in the scrub) 3 hours on a sheet of bloody plywood to Tamworth hospital. On arrival this red headed, middle aged cranky nurse asked... drink tea or coffee, beer, spirits, drugs.....Yes to everything except drugs.
Well aren't we going to enjoy your stay here....putting up with your withdrawls and whatever else.

But it was me suffering their bloody incompetence.
Three days, (took 2 minutes to get up and down the steps with crutches) I just could not wait to get outa there after listening to the head orthopaedic surgeon rattle on about how he was more concerned that I could not wriggle my toes (nerve damage) rather than the fact they had pinned it 25 degrees out of alignment.

Mine was fib top and bottom (hence the nerve damage) tib in 2 places with bone sticking out and a cracked ankle bone. Later had some electro jolts to check nerve connections, nothing doing but as I said it did recover which I am very thankful for. Self employed (opal mining) I had to initiate the action for damages, money up front but the evidence was irrefutable. Physically speaking, age don't help, was 72 then, 80 now.

I would really like to catch up with you one day Redfin, I reckon we could share a laugh about those experiences washed down with a beverage or two.
HNY
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Gold detecting with knee replacements Empty RE: Gold Detecting With Knee Replacements

Post  noyungan Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:16 pm

considering all the surgery incompetence endured I think you're fortunate cos doctors usually bury their mistakes !!!! Sorry fellers.. noyungan

noyungan
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2015-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Idigem Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi Mugshot I have had both knees replaced and use a gpx 5000 with a longer shaft and a gpz 7000,and have no
Trouble although the zed seems less sensitive to the knees than the 5000, been using both for about two years.
Cheers Simmo

Idigem
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 am

I am hoping you a a shorter bloke. Then coil will be further from your body with shaft at full extension. If you are 6'6 then like me you have to watch you do not trip  over coil.  Good luck in getting back into your hobby. TG Very Happy

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Mugshot Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:40 am

some great stories there sounds like i got of lightly with just 2 new knees thanks Mike and Simmo sounds like i shouldnt have to many problems will go with the 7000 Thanks everyone
Good Hunting to all

Mugshot
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Gold detecting with knee replacements Empty knee replacements

Post  skookumchuck Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 pm

i've had two knee replacements. when i had the first one (left) i used the 4500 & the 5000 with a 24inch eliptical coil. every time i swung the coil to the left it would sound off. when i had te right knee replaced i found that it was too difficuld to use with knee signals sounding off so i sold it and used a smaller coil. which i found ok. although the 24 inch coil was my favourite you have to compromise. i use the Coiltek 14 Round Elite Mono Camo Metal Detector Coil and i find it very good and comparable.i'm thinking of selling both soon and getting the gpz 7000. so i'll see how it goes.
cheers

skookumchuck
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down