Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's super tiny.

5 posters

Go down

It's super tiny. Empty It's super tiny.

Post  Axtyr Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm

G'day.

I was out at Talbot yesterday and picked up one very tiny piece. I had trouble weighing it on the powder scales.

It weighed in at 0.03 gram. Good thing I didn't drop it.
It's super tiny. JaFoJXX

On a good note, it appears that the baby birds have flown the nest. They sure grow up fast in the wild, probably a side effect of having a nest so low to the ground.

On a bad note, I turned up to the McDiarmid Bushland Reserve only to find 2 star pickets in the wheel ruts of the entrance to the reserve. Almost immediately the owner of the property next door drove up videoing me as proof that I was detecting on his land. As he drove off he said that he "had me now and that he would spike my tyres and also insert a stake into a sensitive area of my anatomy and out my mouth". He then drove to Maryborough to report me to the police. I called Rob Brouwers of Parks Vic. to ascertain if there was any reason as to why the pickets were blocking the road and he said no. I detected another area and returned on my way home and the pickets were gone. As I drove down that road Rob was driving out of Sorrenson's Bushland Reserve so I stopped for a chat.

I called the police this morning to find out what was going on and they said they had proof from the video that I was prospecting on his land, which was incorrect. I told them I was standing in the roadway into the reserve when the video was being taken and I was about 50 metres away from his property. They did approach some of the other property owners to ask if they had problems with me on their land as I found out this morning from my brother. From my observations over the past few weeks someone has been detecting on his land and they have left heaps of unfilled holes. He is very unhappy and I must have been the first one he came across, which obviously means I did it.

Anyway, as a warning, if you are thinking of going to Talbot and McDiarmid Bushland Reserve down McDiarmid's Road, be careful that this guy might damage your car. You may find star pickets in the road which you can remove but check to see if there is anything sticking up below the water level in the wheel ruts. If you really need to go there then drive all the way to the end and at the end of the track is the gate to his property. If the gate is locked then he is not home and you shouldn't have a problem. If the gate is open then it would probably be wiser to go somewhere else.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

It's super tiny. Empty Re: It's super tiny.

Post  Kon61gold Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm

It never fails to amaze me, as to the size/type of gold the GPZ 7000 can pick up, when both operator & detector, are tuned to the ground as one. Well done Axtyr. cheers

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 am

You could easily set up a trail cam on a tree and get  some footage of this clown "whacking his pointy picket" in the ground. Very Happy
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:24 pm

Axtyr wrote:G'day.

It weighed in at 0.03 gram. Good thing I didn't drop it.

that's a nice little piece mate, but are you sure of the weight!!!! you would need 33 pieces that size just to make 1 gram!!!!!

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:12 pm

good little piece axtyr, at least it can claim to have weight. Very Happy

i zeroed in on a old detectors (sorry - old timers) throw out pile during the week, and came up with a .1 and .2 pieces, so i scalped the small area of grass and leaves and got a 1.34gram specimen for me efforts.  plus in the throw out pile i got a very diffcult signal, took me ages to isolate, and turned out to be a minute gold piece of about 2mm by 1mm and waifer thin, it doesnt register on my .00 of grams scales Shocked  

so yes its gold, but with no weight.  many reruns of trying to add it to the scales while they were registering the 1.34grammer turned up repeated error weights of .01 to .02 that is 1.33 to 1.36, but on its own i could not get any weight.

so it was costing me more in battery energy than what it was worth What a Face

i plan to go back with a container and take a few kilos of the soil and see if there is any (more) pannable gold in it.

just as well i am retired and not living off my finds Laughing

Last edited by kevlorraine2 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error - only about 150 years wrong in old timers - to detectors)

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Ax - Must have that 7000 tuned like a grand piano mate, lovely pick up.
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Davsgold, I am positive of the weight. Every piece I get I first weigh on the balance scales I use for reloading my ammunition then on the electronic scales I also use for my reloading. This piece weighed in at 0.5 grain. I have only found one smaller piece and that was 0.4 grain (0.026gram). The electronic powder scales will not weigh anything under 0.5 grains. I have 2 other sets of cheap electronic scales and I don't even bother weighing small pieces on them, I only use them on the larger pieces to give me an indication of weight.

I doubt that any of the Chinese electronic scales will register anything under probably 0.2 of a gram unless you can change the scales to weigh in grains. If it only weighs in grams then you have no option but to weigh it with another piece that you know the weight of.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Axtyr
I said bigger!!  Laughing
But its great anyway Q15

Yes some grumpy property owners out there.
I dont blame them but they shouldnt asume we are all guilty

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Axtyr wrote:Davsgold, I am positive of the weight. Every piece I get I first weigh on the balance scales I use for reloading my ammunition then on the electronic scales I also use for my reloading. This piece weighed in at 0.5 grain. I have only found one smaller piece and that was 0.4 grain (0.026gram). The electronic powder scales will not weigh anything under 0.5 grains. I have 2 other sets of cheap electronic scales and I don't even bother weighing small pieces on them, I only use them on the larger pieces to give me an indication of weight.

I doubt that any of the Chinese electronic scales will register anything under probably 0.2 of a gram unless you can change the scales to weigh in grains. If it only weighs in grams then you have no option but to weigh it with another piece that you know the weight of.

Regards Axtyr.

Yep mate, just sayin, that's 33 pieces to the gram, and I doubt that you can find them that small for real, well not with a 7000 anyway, I know for sure I have picked up some of those minute specks of gold myself but I also know for sure the detector actually signalled on something else and I call these "accidental finds" just sayin, IMO

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Dave, it's definitely the detector picking them up but they have to be right on the surface. It even picks up tiny pieces of wire. The 2000 and the 5000 also picked up these tiny pieces of steel wire about 2mm long and about half a millimetre thick. Unbelievable. These tiny pieces are extremely hard to pinpoint at times and I have had to scoop dirt away and then detect the remaining ground to see if the signal was still there. If not it was in the scoop. There have been times when I have just walked away from extremely faint signals because after 5 minutes of trying to locate it I decided it was either too small to bother with or maybe a hot rock.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Axtyr wrote:Dave, it's definitely the detector picking them up but they have to be right on the surface. It even picks up tiny pieces of wire. The 2000 and the 5000 also picked up these tiny pieces of steel wire about 2mm long and about half a millimetre thick. Unbelievable. These tiny pieces are extremely hard to pinpoint at times and I have had to scoop dirt away and then detect the remaining ground to see if the signal was still there. If not it was in the scoop. There have been times when I have just walked away from extremely faint signals because after 5 minutes of trying to locate it I decided it was either too small to bother with or maybe a hot rock.

Regards Axtyr.

your spot on axtyr .... i went back to the spot mentioned above today and got another three smalls that weighed .27grams total. along with a few small hot rocks, and the mongrel small pieces of tin.

as my machine wouldnt be totally quiet i took about five kilos of the soil and panned it, and got a very small tail of minute flower gold, i might add a few of the hot rocks were dollied seperately and also gave me a small tail of flower gold.

i was wondering if minelab were working on a smaller coil for the 7000, has anybody got any information on this ? it no doubt would be super sensitive but i was thinking more from the point of view of being lighter to carry - anybody? .... KEV

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down