Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nothing To Write Home About

4 posters

Go down

Nothing To Write Home About Empty Nothing To Write Home About

Post  kiwijw Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi guys, I had been dying to try out Davegolds new pick that he sent over the ditch for me. It looked the business. Cheers Dave T06
I ended up going for a late afternoon detect back to the area of my last few finds posts. I wanted to go over the ground one more time & try a few different settings to see if I could squeeze out a few more bits. I needed to have an absolute smooth steady threshold, paramount, to hear those very faint whispers. There are powerlines very close by but they had given me no problems the last couple of times here with the Zed. I fired up the Zed, auto tuned, ground balanced, & there was this tick tick tick in the audio. I tried auto tuning a few times & I noticed I had to push the pad several times to get the auto tune to do its thing scratch  this had never happened before. After a few goes at trying to get this tick tick tick to abate I had no joy. It was more like an electric fence pulse than powerlines. Not that I had noticed an electric fence close by. I tried detecting with this interference but I needed that smooth steady threshold & this was doing my head in so I had to move to another area away from the interference.
This achieved I found myself on ground that I didnt hold any hope of getting any thing on. I was on occasion still getting the odd interference which wasnt helping me. I was on solid schist that the old timers had exposed with their ground sluicing. I think the last time I had found gold here was with the Gold Bug 2. The ground was very uneven & awkward to walk on let alone poke & prod with the Zed's 14" coil. Even the 4500 & sadie coil was a mission to twist & poke & drag through the schist crevices. Hence the GB2 was a lot more suitable for this. Any way I gave it my best with the Zed.....& after a while I thought I heard a bit of a hiccup in the threshold. It was hard to be certain with the interference. But out came Daves pick to carve out some schist. Boy....it made short work of that. I was now able to get the edge of the coil deeper in to the schist crevice. Yep....a definite signal. Was it going to be gold or a shoty pellet. Can you see it up & to the left of the G on the coil Rolling Eyes

Nothing To Write Home About 20170128_192654_zps7qtbychg  

.14 of a gram

Nothing To Write Home About 20170128_192648_zpsszlk9kcy

This was too difficult for the Zed & as my inital plan was foiled by the interference I decided to call it quits. Oh well....at least I wasnt skunked. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Nothing To Write Home About Empty Re: Nothing To Write Home About

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Hey JW, to bad about the interference in the area etc, but hey that's a good looking pick. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:43 pm

JW

You can write here mate, nice bit of color and pick. Good luck in one of the best backyards in the world ( love the scenery pics)
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:46 pm

At least you didnt go home empty handed. Q15
I too like the pick

T10 it looks a lot like mine. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Nothing To Write Home About Empty -nothing-to-write-home-about

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi JW, better than an empty pocket buddy Smile congrats.

Back to top Go down

Post  California Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:43 am

Nice pick and nugget, yup any day out with some gold is a good day....small as they may be at times.....at times they will be BIGGER. cheers
California
California
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2016-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Well Kiwijw,

I have been away a bit over the last little while and I now see that you have been quite busy since I last had the chance to have a look here.

Although this trip may not have been up to your usual standards, I see you have been having a lovely time, particularly on your day out with the Gold Bug. Amazing how a bad day can turnaround for you that is for sure

Hope 2017 is a great year for you and Mrs Kiwijw.

Keep up the great work, never tire of seeing the results.

Bernie
Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you every body for your comments & kind words.  T01

Best of luck to you all out there