Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on signal type ?

+2
alchemist
MS
6 posters

Go down

Question on signal type ? Empty Question on signal type ?

Post  MS Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 am

Just wondering if anyone has found gold when the first signal heard breaks up between two channels.
Every time I have heard this and dug down the signal improves to a normal sounding target but always ends up as deep rusted steel junk.
All my gold finds were stable signals even if only very soft so I am now wondering if any signal that breaks up should be ignored as junk only.
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Question on signal type ? Empty Re: Question on signal type ?

Post  alchemist Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 am

G'day Mark,
I dig all the broken signals now. I used to ignore them after coming to believe that it was iron. One day while I was working a patch and digging nugget after nugget, I got one of these broken signals with high pitched tails, I decided I dig it just in case, and what da ya know, it was gold alright, a nice bright long skinny 3 gram piece down around 10 inches. This has happen a couple of times since, and it's always with odd shaped nuggets. If you're working an area that has mostly water worn gold where it's been pounded flat, you'll get a signal like this if a piece is on end in a crevice or standing up wedged between rocks, and it's close to maximum range, but then again it will most often be boot tacks and the like.
Cheers
Grey
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks Grey
That answered that question , I'll keep digging those targets but at least now I know it may be worthwhile and not always junk only
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 am

Gday Mark
I'm with Grey. Trip two weeks ago and found a little run of four nuggs all of which gave a very broken signal. Dig everything. Over the years I've had some weird and wonderful signals that have turned out to be nuggets or species.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Depends totally on what timings you are using especially now with the GPX-5000 which has a total of 8 timings. Each timing moves the cross over point of the channels hence the sensitivity points, so each time you select a different timing the signal response will change depending on gold size/shape/depth etc.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:52 pm

If its making the sound your describing it could be a speci or crap.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Question on signal type ? Empty re signal

Post  evan2010 Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Interesting Answers! Ive had a few strange signals turn out to be Gold so far this season. Jp what exactly are these 8 new timings and how do they go on Wa hot ground?
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 am

evan2010 wrote:Interesting what exactly are these 8 new timings

Explanation of the 8 soil timings >> Click here

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 pm

thanks for the heads up about the video rick
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Gday

Target signals are as many and varied as the compositions of the ground that we can work , so in some areas a target will give a definate, pull you up sort of response where as in a more highly mineralised enviroment the signal could be much less disinctive and in some cases almost inaudible.

I have found that in some areas the signal can be crisp and sharp, so it stands to reason that these areas yield much less gold these days as the gold is basically easy to hear, and others that have been there before you have been able to easily hear the targets and have already found most of the gold.

Some places due to the severity of the mineralisation and the inability of some detectorist to distinguish ground noise from that mineralisation will still yield some good gold, but you have to be prepared to investigate every signal and minor threshold change in order to get it, any response from the ground that alters the threshold should be investigated until you are satisfied what it is, the detectorist who covered this area in a hurry with a fast swing speed would certainly miss the subtle signals, slowing down and taking the time to be sure can more often than not be the difference between getting the gold or leaving empty handed.

Detecting is a learning process, so if you dig an iffy signal that turns out to be gold then common sense will tell you that its very likely that any other iffy signal you hear could vey possibly be gold as well, once the realisation hits you that this may be normal for the area you are working you should then be concentrating also on those types of target signals as well.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down