Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold

2 posters

Go down

Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold Empty Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold

Post  YibiDavid Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Well I got up to my property mid Feb & this time took my old Coiltek 14" DD. As I mentioned in the last write up I only had the mono last time I went over a small area & guess what the coil was buzzing, no matter where I ran the detector over it kept giving signals, it seems to be coming from those rocks that I showed last time, as there are  many rocks above & below I really couldn't do anything, I don't own a rock crusher so I am a bit baffled as to what to do next. I did put a strong magnet on these rocks & seemed to be attracted to it with a slightly weak magnetic  force? I guess I can be optimistic that there may be lots of fine gold in that area being about a 1/4 of an acre, unless they contain iron- but the rocks colours are light bluey grey. If it was fine gold & not much of it- you wouldn't think the detector would pick up these signals( my detector is a Gp3500) in case you haven't read my previous article from Nov 15. Any how some expert comments would be appreciated- - David
YibiDavid
YibiDavid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold Empty Re: Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold

Post  Tributer Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi again David. The rocks you posted before definitely look like they are volcanic or igneous rocks. The signals you get all over the area are typical of iron rich rocks. I reckon the only way to see if you have anything is to sample some of the rocks (grab 4 or more pieces from different spots). Smash one and look at it with a hand lens to ID the "gold" coloured mineral. Then crush the lot in a dolly or cover them with a bag and smash with a lump hammer (face shield recommended). Then pan the rock dust and look for gold. Then dig some holes where you get signals and sample the soil and pan it off.. Very Happy
good luck, tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold Empty Re- Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold

Post  YibiDavid Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi again Tributer,
Good to hear from you again also, your advice makes sense to me- - can I be a little ignorant & ask how strong should the lens be to help me see if it has gold properly? I won't be going up till probably winter, but that will be more favourable workwise, thanks kindly for your reply, cheers David
YibiDavid
YibiDavid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold Empty Re: Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi David

We just use a cheapie like one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60X-Pocket-Jewellers-Loupe-Microscope-Glass-Jewellery-Magnifier-LED-UV-Light-/390781366318?hash=item5afc62702e:g:PRgAAOSwKIpWDP77

Back to top Go down

Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2- & do they contain Gold Empty Re: Are these Rocks Andesite Part 2 & do they contain Gold

Post  YibiDavid Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:31 am

Hi Jen58,
Thanks for that, 60 magnitude should do the trick, can't beat that price, looks good quality too! Will snap one up soon, thanks kindly again, happy tecting, David
YibiDavid
YibiDavid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down