Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The easy simple way to remove star post's

2 posters

Go down

The easy simple way to remove star post's Empty The easy simple way to remove star post's

Post  Guest Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:53 am

The easy simple way to remove star post's Th10

Back to top Go down

The easy simple way to remove star post's Empty Re: The easy simple way to remove star post's

Post  Guest Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Cap'n, assuming you wish to remove some, I tackle them when it is wet if I can. Put some kind of tool bar on the rear linkage of your tractor, attach a length of chain to the tool bar, then wrap the chain around the post a few times and lift the linkage. Works like a treat if you have a tractor. You can also get a hand post puller, not quit so much fun though. Smile

Back to top Go down

The easy simple way to remove star post's Empty Re: The easy simple way to remove star post's

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:41 am

Thanks Sparrowfart, All jobs are easy if you have the right tools.
I'm looking for an easy way with what I have at hand.
T10 T10  V14  

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:56 am

Hi Cap'n, Ok, I think you could make a simple leaver by getting a bit of 2x4 about 2 feet long and cutting a "V" in one end so it is on top when you stand the bit of wood on it's end then use another bit about 4 feet long to sit in the "V" across the top.  Attach a bit of chain or some such to one end of the long piece with a bolt on the end of the chain which will go through a hole in the star post. You put the bolt through a hole, when lifted the bolt will jam sideways so you don't need to put a nut on the end then leaver the post out of the ground. Not so easy if the ground is very hard and dry but it should work with a  bit of trial and error.

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:13 am

Try a rod through one of the holes and use a car jack on the rod.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 am

One of these makes easy work out of removing star pickets

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fence-Post-Lifter-Puller-Star-Picket-Steel-Pole-Remover-Fencing-Farming-Tool-/191068854366?hash=item2c7c97585e:g:KMgAAOSwEK9Txid7

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi Captn. On the farm, if I was too lazy to get the tractor out, the next best thing I found was the Hi-Lift jack. Just put a  shackle through one of the picket holes and a small piece of chain through the shackle and put it over the lifty bit on the High-Lift jack. Tie the jack to the picket if it starts going sideways, and put a block of flat wood under the jack so it doesn't sink. If it really really doesn't want to come out still, make a trench around the hole and empty a bucket of water to soak in overnight. Err... good luck!
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Pair of big bolt cutters to grip the picket and a block of wood under the jaws to use as a fulcrum. Works remarkably well. For really stubborn ones, soak the ground as others have said and belt the picket a few times near the base with a sledge hammer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Hey Slimpickens
That's the way we did it!!! Q27

I like Davsgold idea
I think for the few dollars it may have been a much easier way Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:52 am

Sparrowfart wrote:Hi Cap'n, Ok, I think you could make a simple leaver by getting a bit of 2x4 about 2 feet long and cutting a "V" in one end so it is on top when you stand the bit of wood on it's end then use another bit about 4 feet long to sit in the "V" across the top.  Attach a bit of chain or some such to one end of the long piece with a bolt on the end of the chain which will go through a hole in the star post. You put the bolt through a hole, when lifted the bolt will jam sideways so you don't need to put a nut on the end then leaver the post out of the ground. Not so easy if the ground is very hard and dry but it should work with a  bit of trial and error.

Your an idea's man Sparrowfart  I'll give you that.
T06

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:58 am

slimpickens wrote:Hi Captn. On the farm, if I was too lazy to get the tractor out, the next best thing I found was the Hi-Lift jack. Just put a  shackle through one of the picket holes and a small piece of chain through the shackle and put it over the lifty bit on the High-Lift jack. Tie the jack to the picket if it starts going sideways, and put a block of flat wood under the jack so it doesn't sink. If it really really doesn't want to come out still, make a trench around the hole and empty a bucket of water to soak in overnight. Err... good luck!

Good info slim, yes its amazing what sort of trouble you can get out of by using a jack.
T10

Captn
Q20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:32 am

Lindt wrote:Pair of big bolt cutters to grip the picket and a block of wood under the jaws to use as a fulcrum. Works remarkably well. For really stubborn ones, soak the ground as others have said and belt the picket a few times near the base with a sledge hammer.

Go to the top of the class "Lindt"  10/10 for you.
the best post lifter and usually readily available offcourse the bigger the pair the better

Captn
The easy simple way to remove star post's Img_0228

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:56 am

Captain Zero wrote:

Go to the top of the class "Lindt"  10/10 for you.
the best post lifter and usually readily available offcourse the bigger the pair the better

Captn

Thanks! Glad it worked. I don't know a lot about finding the yellow stuff but answers to obscure requests I have plenty of Smile

Adrian

Back to top Go down