Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

noisy tappets...

3 posters

Go down

noisy tappets... Empty noisy tappets...

Post  Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:59 pm

My 20 yearr old 4 wdrive has noisy rattling "tappets", especially when going uphill in a high gear. What does this mean? doess it matter/

Back to top Go down

noisy tappets... Empty Re: noisy tappets...

Post  Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Claimpeg,

Generally, this means your "tappets" may be out of adjustment or worn, or your getting low on oil. It means that your valves may not be fully opening or closing which will reduce operating power etc.
Yes, not good for a vehicle and generally easily fixed if not left too long.
Noisy tappets are also an indication the oil may be low as they will also get noisy if not lubricated properley.
Picture is a overhead cam version- # 40 is the cam. Pushrod style has cam below and uses a rod between the cam and the lifter. lifter is 50-56 arrangement.
noisy tappets... Valve_10

What vehicle have you got and what engine?
You would need to find out some details first to be able to work out how to do. IE, valve clearances. In a nutshell, you need to adjust the free distance between the moving part that pushes your valves open. The distance between these parts is what creating the tapping sounds.
(I hear rumour some lifters/ tappets are not manualy adjustable- these type may need to be replaced if they have run out of auto adjustment ?)
I can say from experience, a regular engine oil flush treatment and recommended oil changes are a must and will see tappet problems and associated problems are kept to a minimum.

Cheers, Ferris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:11 pm

When you say going up a hill in high gear, are you talking say 4th or 5th gear?

If so, the noise your hearing is probably the bearings getting upset (more of a knocky/tappy sound but quick) and the solution is knock it back a gear so your in the proper power range again. If your in first or second gear, the problem is probably as above post.

The bearings thing i think is called dieseling or pinging/pinking- don't hold me to that though.

If its the bearings and knocking it back does no good and you still hear that noise, there is a good chance you engine is dying a slow death and will spin a bearing before to long.
It's always important to stay in the powerband area of the revs scale, otherwise the engine places undue pressure on bearings. As a general rule, it is better to have your engine revving higher than lower at certain times.

Back to top Go down

Post  buck06 Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:40 am

check the timing first its sounds like its pinging poor timing cheers buck noisy tappets... Sleep noisy tappets... Sleep noisy tappets... Sleep
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 am

Oh! I thought it was this kind of "Noisy Tappets" http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tap+dance&docid=87774396899&mid=0473325616106BDF9B510473325616106BDF9B51&FORM=VIRE3# noisy tappets... Icon_lol Regards Johnny noisy tappets... Icon_sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:24 am

thnks for info.....ill get it tuned and see whatt happens/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:23 pm

If you believe the rumours, you could throw a bottle of Wynns Tune Up in it. That is bound to fix all your mechanical adjustments needed... if symptoms persist....

Back to top Go down

Post  fcltd Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:54 am

i bought an old range rover that was running crap .
with the rocker covers off it was easy to see that more than half the oil delivery holes were not oozing oil over the rockers , a friend told me to put a ltr of diesol into the oil and run it , after a few mins and a few very small revs all the oiling points cleared . then it's just a case of an oil change straight away and another oil change in a month or two .
i found this to have no bad effects to the rangie and fixed the issue .

fcltd
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down