Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Security Risks whilst carrying a GPZ7000.

2 posters

Go down

Security Risks whilst carrying a GPZ7000. Empty Security Risks whilst carrying a GPZ7000.

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:11 pm

I have had my 5000 and half dozen coils, insured, situate anywhere in Australia and for new replacement $6500 since I originally obtained it new....win, win situation if it gets stolen or I accidentally drive over it, I figure....

With this banter of the all up likely cost of the GPZ 7000 with its additional coils being something like $15,000....this changes the whole dynamics I reckon of using/carrying/ detecting on your own <fairly vulnerable position to be in if you're outnumbered> in say the Golden Triangle State Forests or National Parks <where you're allowed>......or even the North Qld or W.A. donga...
This new detector will be an extremely negotiable item and will possibly attract unwanted attention both whilst your detecting or being stored/carried in your vehicle...like walking round on your own with $15,000 cash in your wallet........it would be nice to not have to worry/think about these things but this is Australia today....greedy grubs everywhere ready to relieve you of your hard earned......even Police Depts let alone the insurance industry will take a while to understand and appreciate the outlay now involved with buying a top line detector....

Why doesn't ML approach a leading insurer and offer a say 2 year insurance protection <new for old> to the original purchaser and provide cover note at the time of sale....who better than ML to be able to record serial numbers and of course dealers are the most likely to encounter a possibly stolen 7000 at some time in the future when its taken in for repairs or whatever.....,<at Law no buyer can claim 'bought in good faith if the article is found to have been stolen>..it would be confiscated......
At $15,000 one could expect ML to include a comprehensive cover in the deal....<they would be able to negotiate the best insurance rate by sheer volume under a blanket policy...or..at the very least offer a highly competitive rate to a potential buyer....

A manufacturer genuinely concerned about 'customer care' would surely look at this as an option and may even help with their possible further sales....
When detectors were $3000 or even $6500 many owners would run the gauntlet of possible loss, but with a total likely investment of $15,000 odd <even the $10,700 starting price> the dynamics of security and possible loss should surely now be a major consideration....
I shudder to think what the additional premiums will be individually negotiated for this detector at its insured new for old loss value, situate anywhere in Australia...particularly after the first loss is reported....all insurers pisss in each others pockets with claims experiences so they can adjust their premiums accordingly.....
Possible loss is a disincentive for me to consider upgrading to the 7000 at this stage..too large an amount to risk...may be different when they are relatively plentiful and lost their initial release curiousity/desirability by the 'must haves' at any cost or course of action.........Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Security Risks whilst carrying a GPZ7000. Empty Re: Security Risks whilst carrying a GPZ7000.

Post  Undertaker Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:17 am

Just slap a 3030 sticker on it, no one would bother with that model.
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Security Risks whilst carrying a GPZ7000. Empty Re: Security Risks whilst carrying a GPZ7000.

Post  goldchaser Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:04 am

Good point Larry,we think we'll have to look at insurance for it,im not sure about getting held up in the scrub and releived of your detector though..... Very Happy
Ive allways had no probs lending them to trusted mates for a few days also,i think that just flew out the window,just to much $$$$ to replace.....
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 am

It is almost a daily occurance where new motor bikes and particularly Trail Bikes are "removed" from Melbourne Streets in the space of a few minutes...spirited into enclosed trailers or driven off...occasionally makes the news but is now so common......many would end up in the Australian Donga without plates or numbers...few minutes work removes any identification.....never to be seen again....few self contained caravans meet the same fate I reckon..a fully self contained new van was stolen here in Bendigo not long a go from a holding area in a retirement village...not seen again...
A 7000 is a 7000 is a 7000 in the Australian goldfields, and who checks anything?........ its reasonable to assume this big ticket item will be targeted....have you never felt vulnerable out there on your own..I'm not talking about the trail bike boys who invariably 'trail up' and you hear them a mile off... and they ask if you've found anything...we all wear that from time to time....couple of vulnerable instances I can think of was when I was in a reasonably remote timbered area, merrily digging a hole, head down and bum up, and a bloke in his 40's walked up behind me and was virtually leaning over me before I realized he was even there.....if there was any such thing as detecting etiquette <besides filling holes> this is a real no no IMO....he had no detector or equipment on him.....initially scared the beegeezeesus out of me...turned out he wanted to "ask " me if I had found much and he had been detecting a couple of gullys over all day and was on his way home....showed me a few very small nuggs he had found....best of intentions, however if he had wanted my 5000 lying there could have been much different........
....another time, and don't know if this has happened to anyone else...but I was in a reasonably wooded, but very very dry area....I suddenly happened upon a very green area amongst the thicker trees with some sort of watering hoses from drums I could see.....I got the hell out of there real quick and was relieved my car had not been touched which was parked only about a Km away....I don't go to that area anymore....head down bum up with ear phones on and intent on what you're doing, with only a pick, I reckon we are reasonably vulnerable...for the record I'm approaching 6' about 115kg and played Rugby League in Qld, second rower, for 5 years in my younger days..so I'm no "Nancy"...I figure I could stop the flys from landing on someone for at least 45 seconds....but after that...?
Anyway I reckon security of our equipment is 'now' something we should all take into consideration and be aware of....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:42 am

I used to think dirt bikes getting knocked off over east was a real problem Larry,then i came to Kal,its allmost out of control here.....
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:56 pm

I don't see it is much different to having a couple of GPX 5000's or 4500's and a whole bunch of coils, the original value of the 2 machines and accessory's came to more than 1 of the new machines. confused

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:06 pm

Apart from the 2000 days the 'feeding frenzy' on this new magic wand has, and is reaching new levels of desirability...expensive,.compact, easy to carry and store... physically unlike the 5000 in many ways....and only those in the detecting world would readily understand your investment outlay and why you covet not losing it in some way.......its attributes and negotiability bring new security risks is what I was suggesting....time will tell...but it should be insured one way or the other upon purchase IMO...even against driving over it temporarily stored next to your vehicle ....unlike many failed to do with the previous less expensive detectors.......Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:09 pm

davsgold wrote:I don't see it is much different to having a couple of GPX 5000's or 4500's and a whole bunch of coils, the original value of the 2 machines and accessory's came to more than 1 of the new machines. confused

cheers dave
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:11 pm

OOPS! I agree Davesgold but 2 GPX's and coils would be more than any self respecting thief could carry with two hands.
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:45 pm

Undertaker wrote:OOPS! I agree Davesgold but 2 GPX's and coils would be more than any self respecting thief could carry with two hands.

True, they would need some help carrying it all. A single new detector may be more attractive, no wires and cables to get tangled and trip over while running away Shocked

cheers dave

Back to top Go down