Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terrano bed build.

4 posters

Go down

Terrano bed build. Empty Terrano bed build.

Post  Pixulator Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi Guys,

So I brought the Terrano II (97) and immediately set to work planning on installing a bed to make life a little easier while prospecting around.

Terrano bed build. WrpV4bsl

Here is the internal space after I removed the rear seats ( simple job, just a few bolts ). Gives about 170cm with the front seats all the way back more if forward.

Terrano bed build. QuzmCWll

First job was to locate the ancor points on the floor that I could secure the box on to... don't want it flying around if I get air !! In the end I used the three black loops seen here.

Terrano bed build. O2Xhx65l

Some of the materials.. 35x70 pine non structural stuff was the cheapest but had to rummage around to find the bits with the least knots / damage.

Terrano bed build. 4XhkClyl

This metal strip was handy, came in a roll that I could cut with tin snips. Then wrap around the anchor points and screw in to the timber frame.

Terrano bed build. GYuscqil

It aint going nowhere.

Terrano bed build. ZOOvSszl

All secure and level. Gives me about 500mm to the floor where the old seats were and 200mm at the back.

Terrano bed build. FHoaQmkl

Frame all finished. That metal strip sure came in handy except it would not stop the twisting so I had to add plenty of extra screws between the joins. I'm not a pro builder Smile

Terrano bed build. St4ny7Rl

Cut out the plywood and positioned where it will end up to check the sizes. You can see from the cuts I'll have two large doors on hinges at the rear, two smaller ones at the front on hinges left and right, and a centre table that will lift out unhinged.

Terrano bed build. Q4RpuJ1l

To give the wood that fancy ( this just didn't come off a building site ) look I painted one side and the edges in jarrah stain. This will be the underside you see when you open the doors. Reason for picking jarrah? it was the darkest one. Fancy.

Terrano bed build. V1FgcYbl

I decided I did not want raw timber showing so went with an industrial carpet type covering that is more like a thin mat. I went through 4 cans of this stuff and it's still not finished.

Terrano bed build. LPQklNKl

Doors in place and hinges screwed in place.

Terrano bed build. JjLmmoPl

Here it is finished ( as much as I got done this week ) ... Rather then trying to cut the carpet for the top to size for each door I just glued the entire thing down on top of hinges and all doors waited for it to dry over night then ran a knife down all the edges.. worked out good.

I found some brown angle aluminium as well to edge it off. It was the only colour other than untreated shiny aluminium and I didn't want it to be obvious I had a lot of kit under the bunks so feel this is more desecrate.

Terrano bed build. H8gjqujl

Rear doors up.

Terrano bed build. WpUDjZll

Desk top propped up.. actually not yet worked out how I'm going to turn this in to a table yet.. job for next week.  But anyway that hole will be where my feet go and I can sit on the top of the box my head does touch the roof so might not get used much.

Terrano bed build. GMtnyAMl

still more carpet to glue.. read end is still exposed cause I'm going to put a sheet of ply on the left or right hand read doors to create a bottom, storage for tools 40mm height.

Thanks

Last edited by Pixulator on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Pixulator
Pixulator
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2014-09-23

Back to top Go down

Terrano bed build. Empty Re: Terrano bed build.

Post  Jerryx4 Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:39 am

Very well done!
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:54 am

Great work there Pixulator, 10/10 T06
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Pixulator Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:05 am

Bonus fact... Wood weigh 40kg, two removed seats 17kg each.. So I'm up only a total of 6kg basically nothing much.
Pixulator
Pixulator
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2014-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenhero Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:37 am

Nice job Pix ,well thought out ..cheers Mick

goldenhero
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2012-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Have to say it's coming up a treat!
You will be giving others some great ideas T06

Back to top Go down