Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar.

5 posters

Go down

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar. Empty Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar.

Post  Jerryx4 Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey guys, modding my tiny little 6inch power sluice (has 2 attachments - powersluice box & river option) into a high banker.
So far have built the top box and hinged it to the base.
NOW, the spray bar...
I have been running the original setup on a big bilge pump that gave just enough water, Since losing my job 3 weeks ago I can't afford to go a petrol pump just yet so keeping this in mind should I go for the standard "U" shape spray bar or in the mean time to increase the efficiency of the low pressure bilge pump should I just make the single centre spray bar which I have seen effectively used on utube.

Below a mock up...

The TOP box in all it's glory

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar. IMAG1139_zps9e8c2e22

U shape

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar. IMAG1140_zpsf6c3bcc1

Single Centre bar.

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar. IMAG1141_zps7348a8d3

All your wise opinions are muchly appreciated as I need this done to get out bush & keep my sanity + hopefully find sum yella
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar. Empty Re: Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar.

Post  rc62burke Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Jerry
Go the u shape as the single bar will get in the way with putting material in & the u gives all round coverage with spray.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar. Empty Re: Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar.

Post  Jerryx4 Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:03 pm

OK...made it like this..
I'll drill only a few TINY holes & hope for enough flow and pressure ..
The pump is 2000GPH rated.

Sluice to Highbanker mod - Help with Spray bar. 32381_10151991012485039_1027098189_n
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chimpy Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:08 am

G'day

As a guide- if you are using 38mm pipe you need to drill 361 x 2mm holes to equalize the pressure. I use 120 x 2mm spray holes and find this gives enough pressure using about 70 litre per minute. Start with a minimum number of holes and add more if you need them

cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:55 am

Cheers,
It's 20mm pipe according to my calc gph to lph works at 126 litres per min...thats not too bad..
The sluice still has the original feed pipe so worst case I can use the 2000GPH pump for the spray bar then feed the sluice with the original 800gph pump as an extra.
I have glued the spraybar tonight so will try drill some holes tomorrow and give it a whirl. it will have to be 2mm holes as the drill cant handle a 1mm bit.
Just have to make sure I drill the holes in a perfect spot as I glued the pipes so cant turn them lol
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:29 pm

OK so had a play today and seems to work ok..
Few minor adjustments made after I took the vid to stop one jet spraying out the side and added a few more up at the top end.
I will make some form of guard underneath so the drop out of the box goes directly into the sluice rather than having a chance to drop out the side.
I will also run the 800GPH pump via the bottom of the sluice for extra water flow.
Any other helpful suggestions?

Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 pm

I'd say buy a drill that takes 1mm drill bits or sharpen your 2mm bit in a weird way so it ends up 1mm at the end, then start again  Sad 

mate you need many many many more holes or it ain't gonna work, the inch spacings could be reduced to 20mm for your setup!
would even be inclined to go with the 15mm pvc, like whiskers has done, I'd also recommend to cut the pipes to the length of your hopper,
may not but could form air pockets in the extraneous bits! 
You'll also need to add a un-water escape at the end of the classifier, my un-waterer is only about 10mm high, works great cheers

And! go with the inlet tee shooting down the first spray bar, your bilge pump is at a disadvantage from the word go with the tee in the middle Suspect  cheers
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 am

someday wrote:I'd say buy a drill that takes 1mm drill bits or sharpen your 2mm bit in a weird way so it ends up 1mm at the end, then start again  Sad 

You'll also need to add a un-water escape at the end of the classifier, my un-waterer is only about 10mm high, works great cheers

And! go with the inlet tee shooting down the first spray bar, your bilge pump is at a disadvantage from the word go with the tee in the middle
:O they are 1mm holes lol, I bought a drill bit especially Sad

I have drilled double the holes in the top end since this vid so on the flat 'loading' section there is about double the spray now. I may even just jet the other pump into the box as well rather than feed the sluice at the bottom.

OK so what is an "un-waterer"?????
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Jerry an un-watererer Laughing  is, wait for it? ................ it stops water and gold spewing out the back of the hopper  cheers 

When the classifier is near on chockers with material the water doesn't flow so swiftly and backs up in the hopper!
the un-watererererer acts like a gate/dam bank,  you will discover  Very Happy
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:24 pm

ahhh ok...
I should be ok(ish) in that respect as I will clasify dirt to 1/2 or 1/4 before loading it in thus not straight from the shovel... hopefully most that goes in the hopper will wash and go through the grate. I hope... lol
Mabye even just a bead of silicon would help?
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  gldfvr Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Would pay to put screw caps on the ends of the pipes so as to clear them of any foreign objects getting past your pump and blocking some of the holes up .

gldfvr
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Use search ! Banjo spray bars

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:40 am

gldfvr wrote:Would pay to put screw caps on the ends of the pipes so as to clear them of any foreign objects getting past your pump and blocking some of the holes up .
Beaten you there Smile I made a cage of 5mm wire around the pump yesterday then will throw my spare stocking from the set I bought to rob banks over top Smile

I've played around alittle more yesterday & will make a splash guard today then take it bush tomorrow & see what I find. If I have any issues with the bars or water flow I'll just shove the 800gph pump in as well so can fit it where i need if in need Smile
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down