Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is "Wash"

2 posters

Go down

What is "Wash" Empty What is "Wash"

Post  NoseHair Bob Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Just to mention again, I'm a newbie, so apologies for what is probably a "Detecting 101" question.

The last couple of videos I've watched has both guys digging for a target on open ground and making comments like "into some good wash" or "not bad wash" as they dig deeper (maybe 6 to 8 inches) below the surface toward their find. What is wash? Is it like bedload sediment from creek or river bottoms?Or is "wash"  the same as wash load? I though wash load was the name given to light particles in the water that were in constant suspension. The material the two diggers were removing appeared to be coarser, heavier material.

NoseHair Bob
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

What is "Wash" Empty Re: What is "Wash"

Post  Guest Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Gday Bob,
`wash dirt` or the `wash layer` was a name given by the early diggers to the layer that they washed to recover gold.
This layer usually had either suspended Quartz and Ironstone,angular country rock,rounded pebbles,slate fragments or was a clay layer of a different colour,and this varied greatly from field to field.

Back to top Go down

Post  NoseHair Bob Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks for passing that on, Gus.

I may be wrong, but I thought the guys in the videos had applied the term a little loosley, but then other people have given me different definitions of wash from it being the material that gathers in the dead or slower waters of bends to run off sediment.

Thanks again.

NoseHair Bob
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Wash..scratch oh yeah! ...that is what we do on the last day of a two week long detecting trip, it apparently makes us more attractive to the opposite sex.Rolling Eyes 

Wayne.cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down