Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politics of gold & prospecting

+4
Scrubhen
hotrock
getascripter
elrodeo
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Politics of gold & prospecting Empty Politics of gold & prospecting

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:55 am

Specifically regarding our chosen hobby of prospecting , are there any policies or promises from any side of politics we need be concerned about or made aware of that might effect what we do ?

Will any of these policies or promises effect they way you vote ?

HH

Back to top Go down

Politics of gold & prospecting Empty Re: Politics of gold & prospecting

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 am

Not at a federal level but at state level it could influence my vote , it has done so in the past but we were lied to by the minister at the time and got shafted ( liberal party) so nowadays I don't have any politician in high regard and I include independents ect in that statement !
I spent 5 yrs on the ECC box iron bark indevestagation and what I did learn is that a lot of legistlature implementation is done in council , that is a collection of politicians from across the political spectrum who have the tenure of position ,say mid way through a term of a government to mid way through the next term ! This gives continuity of laws SO ANY PARTY WHO SAYS THEY WILL ALLOW THIS OR THAT WHEN THE GET INTO POWER IS FALSE! So be very concerned about what as a group we as propectors are offered by any politician .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:08 am

Might be worth giving Mr Palmer a vote. He is definately into mining.Wink 

Back to top Go down

Politics of gold & prospecting Empty Politicians an prospecting

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 am

Err NO! lol!  don't get me started on big miners screwing the small guy into the ground!!!!  Ggggrrrrrrr:    Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Ark on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Smiley wrong)

Back to top Go down

Post  elrodeo Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:31 pm

http://www.orp.org.au/Campaigns.html
elrodeo
elrodeo
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:08 pm

elrodeo wrote:http://www.orp.org.au/Campaigns.html
Sounds fine to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Ark wrote:Err NO! lol!  don't get me started on big miners screwing the small guy into the ground!!!!  Ggggrrrrrrr:    Evil or Very Mad
Fair enough I guess but remember that small miners put money and food on their own plate but big miners create lots of jobs, inject a ton of money into, Australia and put food on the plates of thousands, even millions of people.
Whithout large mining Corps where would Australia be now? Disappearing out of site down the gurgler.
if it was not for our mineral wealth and those who know how to create from this mineral wealth Australia would be nothing in the global scheme of things.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Adrian SS wrote:
Ark wrote:Err NO! lol!  don't get me started on big miners screwing the small guy into the ground!!!!  Ggggrrrrrrr:    Evil or Very Mad
Fair enough I guess but remember that small miners put money and food on their own plate but big miners create lots of jobs, inject a ton of money into, Australia and put food on the plates of thousands, even millions of people.
Whithout large mining Corps where would Australia be now? Disappearing out of site down the gurgler.
if it was not for our mineral wealth and those who know how to create from this mineral wealth Australia would be nothing in the global scheme of things.
I'm all for the big miners - even work for one but I don't think Clive will be too worried about our plight as prospectors/fossickers. In fact a big miner in power may strip more rights from us to feather their own nest more including attacking workers rights/conditions.
Having to get their permission, where they hold EL's in NSW, to me is ridiculous when there are no signs of them carrying out exploration work anywhere near where you want to have a try - anyone know of a party that is looking to repeal this requirement? I'd vote for them - otherwise any party with a policy of maintaining or improving land access for recreational use will do me.

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm all for the big miners - even work for one but I don't think Clive will be too worried about our plight as prospectors/fossickers. In fact a big miner in power may strip more rights from us to feather their own nest more including attacking workers rights/conditions.
Having to get their permission, where they hold EL's in NSW, to me is ridiculous when there are no signs of them carrying out exploration work anywhere near where you want to have a try - anyone know of a party that is looking to repeal this requirement? I'd vote for them - otherwise any party with a policy of maintaining or improving land access for recreational use will do me.
I thought it was only the landholder who needs to give permission where there is an EL, and both land & licence holder when it is an ML ... ???
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrock Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Adrian SS wrote:Might be worth giving Mr Palmer a vote. He is definately into mining.Wink 
Yes his into mining but l doubt he would give a stuff about us little guys with detectors, he would probably prosecute us for trespassing if we went anywhere near one of his huge mining leases.

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Clive Palmer may be a big miner, however I note he is in favour of processing our metals in Australia.
That on its own would be good for all of us

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:37 pm

mbasko wrote:
Adrian SS wrote:
I can see what you are getting at and I recall a time when you didnot need to notify an EL holder that you were on the lease if you were searching for minerals other than what the El covered.
If I was an EL holder I would be a tad peed off if somebody was on my lease ripping off the minerals I was searching for without so much as even letting me know where they were finding them.
I would be happy to let them on so long as they reported to me where they were finding the said minerals. I would at least be able to put a pin in my map to indicate a possible future mining site. Hell I might even put em on me books as Freelance Mineral surveyers. Suspect Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Scrubhen wrote:Clive Palmer may be a big miner, however I note he is in favour of processing our metals in Australia.

Ron
Agreed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Adrian SS wrote:
Perhaps without large companies maybe you would see co-operatives or government funded development of these resources. Where there is a will there is a way. Companies don't necessarily create opportunity but rather simply utilize opportunity. We are not a third world country and can raise money and deploy large projects if we want to. Not denigrated large companies though but I wish we at least save the money that comes from minerals like Canada and other countries do. And we could always buy shares into them as well. I still dislike the way we are so open to flogging everything off. One of our biggest assets is how politically stable and safe we are here to do business so it should be more under the people's terms IMO. This could be naive as we don't have the defense capabilities to not cooperate with large multinational corporations. Don't give them access and they want to go to war with you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 pm

getascripter wrote:
I thought it was only the landholder who needs to give permission where there is an EL, and both land & licence holder when it is an ML ... ???
In NSW you are supposed to obtain EL holder permission also. Not easy to even contact a lot of them let alone get permission.  I reckon most in NSW would be prospecting outside of this & probably don't realise they are outside of the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Scrubhen wrote:Clive Palmer may be a big miner, however I note he is in favour of processing our metals in Australia.

Ron
Agree but I don't think prospecting rights would be of any concern to him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Adrian SS wrote:
I can see what you are getting at and I recall a time when you didnot need to notify an EL holder that you were on the lease if you were searching for minerals other than what the El covered.
If I was an EL holder I would be a tad peed off if somebody was on my lease ripping off the minerals I was searching for without so much as even letting me know where they were finding them.
     I would be happy to let them on so long as they reported to me where they were finding the said minerals. I would at least be able to put a pin in my map to indicate a possible future mining site. Hell I might even put em on me books as Freelance Mineral surveyers. Suspect Very Happy 
I can see a need to get permission or even just stay away from their active exploration sites & possibly reporting any major type finds but just because they have an EL doesn't give them exclusive rights to the minerals. Even if during their exploration activities they find something that doesn't guarantee them the mining rights. Also the leases are huge where as the actual exploration area of interest can be a quite small area within it + they are usually chasing hundreds of thousands of ounce/tonne deposits which are usually too deep for us average Joes to worry about - they aren't chasing the scraps we get off the surface or out of the creeks/gullies. What we find as a collective group is only a splash in the ocean in comparison to the quantities they seek.
The only land they should be able to keep us off is land they actually own - not other private land & certainly not crown land.

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Ron
Q28  No Clive Palmer is the greatest supporter of chinese industry since Chairman Mao Zedong, his Nth Qld Nickel plant is almost exclusively supplied and maintained by chinese sourced materials,from the vehicles used on site through to the uniforms worn by his employees and the toilet paper and other consumables, his dinosaur park/golf course is totally imported from china and he is on record as stating he intends to build his replica of the titanic and his fleet of ore carriers exclusively in chinas shipyards, Clive only went down his own political party path because the LNP would take his money but not endorse him or let him have his way, so Clive took his bat and ball and went home Sad  if Clive said it was raining I would check for myself,the only locals Clive supports is himself and the pork pie and gravy industry  lol! ,........... I know cause I'm a member lol! 

Wayne.cheers

Last edited by Digginerup on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Ok then. from that post if it is all true, thenI guess Clive is not what we need. Shocked pale 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:19 pm

mbasko wrote:
Adrian SS wrote:
I can see a need to get permission or even just stay away from their active exploration sites & possibly reporting any major type finds but just because they have an EL doesn't give them exclusive rights to the minerals. Even if during their exploration activities they find something that doesn't guarantee them the mining rights. Also the leases are huge where as the actual exploration area of interest can be a quite small area within it + they are usually chasing hundreds of thousands of ounce/tonne deposits which are usually too deep for us average Joes to worry about - they aren't chasing the scraps we get off the surface or out of the creeks/gullies. What we find as a collective group is only a splash in the ocean in comparison to the quantities they seek.
The only land they should be able to keep us off is land they actually own - not other private land & certainly not crown land.
That makes a lot of sense. Well written. We are not hurting anyone prospecting for a few nuggets.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:03 am

I can prospect on an EL in Vic ! Either on private land with the permission of the land owner or on crown land with a miners right , it only gets restrictive when it changes to a ML .
Back in the day I had many a stouch with CRA thugs err sorry rangers in the Rushworth area (1970's ) even had the police brought out to turf me off the EL. But as I explained to the traps I was only detecting for relics and if I found any gold I would hand it in to the CRA representive ! cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 am

There is an article in the Brisbane Times about Labor's proposal to claim Federal oversight over the now state run National Parks -
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/national-parks-move-by-labor-20130902-2t160.html

The tone of the article suggests more say in the activities permitted in the national parks.  Early days yet due to a proposed study and, of course, whether Labor win the election.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:42 am

AnnieL wrote:There is an article in the Brisbane Times about Labor's proposal to claim Federal oversight over the now state run National Parks -
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/national-parks-move-by-labor-20130902-2t160.html

The tone of the article suggests more say in the activities permitted in the national parks.  Early days yet due to a proposed study and, of course, whether Labor win the election.

Annie

National parks are actually run by the states !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Federal control of National Parks has been on the agenda since around 1988 / 89, a number of green lobby groups have called for this over and over again!
I guess they are assuming that federal control of all activities within National Parks will enable total exclusion of things like Hunting, logging, fishing & prospecting!

I am in no way surprised federal labor has put forward this proposal, labour's track record for groups & activities such as ours is by no means good!

Its ironic that inner city based latte sippers may well decide the fate of things like cattle grazing in the Alpine National Park, if recreational fishing will be allowed in designated marine parks, wether continued access to Victoria's Golden triangle remains for the States prospectors or
if the proposal put forward by VEAC becomes reality?

In the past i have warned about government control and the ever advancing negative influence of the misinformed green lobby.
I have taken been shot down in flames and evan death threats from a member of this forum!

I guess my fears are unfolding right before my eyes!

Hoping Rudd and his evil socialist cronies rot in hell come saturday evening!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 pm

So I take it Rudd won't be getting your vote? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm

No way in hell, in fact i can proudly say i have never voted for the ALP and will not change my mind!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

AnnieL wrote:There is an article in the Brisbane Times about Labor's proposal to claim Federal oversight over the now state run National Parks -

Annie
The article scares me with the word " REGIME " .
Does this mean opening up parks to cattle graziers ,four wheel drivers & prospectors or does it mean there will be a bigger padlock on the park gate ?

HH

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:20 pm

It means bigger padlocks, more rules and regulations and an increase in the area covered by National Parks!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Slagheap! wrote:It means bigger padlocks, more rules and regulations and an increase in the area covered by National Parks!
If that happens , I might have to pull out the best camo gear I`ve got & spray paint the detector in camo colours ,too Very Happy 

HH

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm

They shall be watching with technology and more rangers!
I would not be surprised to see drones before the decades out!

Already fisheries officers are using them to police fishing restrictions in Marine Parks.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next