Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW TO THE PATCHES

3 posters

Go down

NEW TO THE PATCHES Empty NEW TO THE PATCHES

Post  brockster2013 Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Hello Everyone - Our names are Graham & Joy and we are new to detecting.  We have a GPX 5000 and are presently in Meekathara.  We have done some training with Minelab but really would like some help as to the type of ground to look for in WA. We are a bit confused, do we look for red gravel mixed with quartz or ironstone as well?  Any help on some locations here would also be much appreciated. Question

brockster2013
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

NEW TO THE PATCHES Empty Re: NEW TO THE PATCHES

Post  piston broke Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi Graham and Joy. I don't know the Meeka area, but "Salt and Pepper" ground is a good way to start. That is a mixture of the small shiny ironstone and small bits of quartz. Old workings are also worth a try, but not right on them as they are typically full of trash.
Welcome guys and good luck. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  brockster2013 Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks so much Pete. Will look out for this. Cheers, Graham & Joy Smile 

brockster2013
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi Graham & Joy.  I am at Nullagine and will move on to Meekatharra the first week in August.  Like you, I'm unfamiliar with the ground here in WA.  

I found two small nuggets (0.23 gm & 1.64 gms) near some old pushings (where the top surface had been graded).  There was quartz but little ironstone to be seen but lots of red rock.  Some of the scrapings had a greyish shale in the area. There had been a lot of rain about a month ago so I detected along a run off area and got lucky.

One chap said the gold can be deep if the top is not scraped so a larger coil is necessary but another told me a lot of gold is close to the surface and small, so a small coil is the best. Shocked Guess it depends on the area. Lots of Spinifex (sharp & hurts) so big coils would be difficult to manoeuvre.  Keep an eye out for the odd snake.

Good luck in your quest.
cheers 
Annie

Last edited by AnnieL on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  brockster2013 Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Anniel

Thanks for your information.  Well done on your finds.  Today we came down to Cue to try our luck.  It must be popular because the caravan park is full.Exclamation  

Cheers

Graham & Joy

brockster2013
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 am

G'day Graham & Joy,

I spent a few months swinging a GP3500 on some of the fields around Cue back in 2008 and did alright considering that those with the GPX units were cleaning up in most areas. Both Borefields and Klondike were quite productive, but I guess like most known areas, they have been worked to death over the past 5 years.

Good luck.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 pm

A good way to maybe see what size coil you may need is to dig a hole and see how far down the cap rock is. If it's deep then maybe a larger coil is the go. They are harder for a beginner to use but you should get better with practice. Ground balancing, EMI and pin pointing are more difficult with larger coils.

Back to top Go down

Post  brockster2013 Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks very much for your help.  Have been thinking about a nugget finder coil?  Would appreciate your comments.

Cheers

Graham & Joy

brockster2013
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down