Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes Another Newbie

3 posters

Go down

Yes Another Newbie Empty Yes Another Newbie

Post  jakob Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:21 pm

I am based in Tasmania and plan to be getting on the road in a campervan in June/July 2014

Whilst on the road I am keen to do some prospecting as a interest/hobby

I would really appreciate any information that would help me get started

Thanks

Jakob

jakob

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-07-14

Back to top Go down

Yes Another Newbie Empty Re: Yes Another Newbie

Post  CostasDee Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Q31  to the forum jakob. It might be an idea though, to tell us where you plan to be campervaning (Tas, WA Vic...) and what equipment do you have or hope to use (detecting or panning) and that way some of the members may be able to help you out.

Cheers and welcome again.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Yes Another Newbie Empty Yes Another Newbie

Post  sandy2010 Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi Jakob......and welcome to the forum.
I've zig-zagged all over Australia with a detector.....lots of fun! (keep a journal....fun to read in the future).
In answer to your question, I assume you will detect the beaches,old ruins and the goldfields.......so What I suggest is you buy a secondhand Minelab XT 17000 for $400/$500 (which can be modified in minutes to use a rechargeable gel-cell).
Or if you are going mainly for gold, then a Minelab SD2100 $1400/$1500 ( a couple I know have detected the goldfields every year May/Sept....(he always buys the latest machine) and asked his wife if she would like a new one also.....her reply was: " Why, when I always find more gold than you with my 2100"!

Have fun and be lucky.

p.s. My most interesting find was at Mission Beach in north Qld..........I stumbled upon 2 topless teenage girls.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down