Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

18" Mono - Which brand?

3 posters

Go down

18" Mono - Which brand? Empty 18" Mono - Which brand?

Post  goldtimer Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a 18 inch round mono, to run on a GPX 4000 , but I'm not sure which brand I should get. Commander, Coiltek or Nuggetfinder. Is there much difference between the three, or are they pretty much all the same depthwise?
Any advice would be appreciated 18" Mono - Which brand? Icon_cheers
Thanks
GT.

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

18" Mono - Which brand? Empty Large diameter coils

Post  Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Goldtimer,
I can help you with the construction of the coils,Coiltek make their coils by laying the wire in a groove as do Nuggetfinder but here lies a difference, Nuggetfinder pot their coils(hard setting glue-2 part) and Coiltek don't.
If you treat your coils gently and don't bump anything too hard Coiltek will fit the bill but if you want a robust coil, Nuggetfinder is the go.
The advantage of Coiltek is their coils are much lighter and in Nuggetfinders case you can use a larger diameter bungy which will support the weight better.
As to depth i doubt there is much difference although the newer coils are made to a higher "Q" and are more suited to later model machines.
As to the diameter of the coil an 18" would be more sensitive on smaller gold than a 25" coil but you will get more depth with the 25" than the 18".
A larger diameter coil would be noisier on noisy ground, i recently was using a 28" dia. coil on my GPX4000 and it was purring nicely using an enhancer set up with "Bogene's" settings, which you can get on the Finders Forum and research.
Hope that helps, bythe way, i could pick up small staples with that 28" coil,
Regards Ron

Back to top Go down

18" Mono - Which brand? Empty Re: 18" Mono - Which brand?

Post  goldtimer Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 am

Ron, thanks for that info, I haven't bought any coils from Nuggetfinder before, but it sounds like they're the way to go. I'm just wondering If anyone has had any experience with the Commander 18 mono, and how heavy it is. I was thinking of getting the commander, but is it very heavy compared with the Nuggetfinder?
Thanks for the help,
GT.

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:35 pm

The 18" commander is heavier than the others, it is also stronger. I reckon you need a bungee cord for most coils any way, if you detect for more than a couple of hours. I have one for sale ( see Wanted to sell, Jan 7), so that makes me a vested interest.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Goldtimer.

When you carefully research or should i say have used all three brands, of coils like i have,you'll find your trying to split hairs between one another.The most robust out of the three is the Commander mono,but it is also the heavier of the three.The Coiltek 18 round mono,is slightly more sensitive than the other two but with the extra sensitivity comes a little more ground noise.It is also the lighter of the three.The Nugget finder Advantage 18 round is the quieter of the three and sits somewhere in between.As far as depth goes,their pretty much on par with one another.All three coils will suit the GPX4000,only the settings of your machine might differ slightly according to each coil.One thing to keep in mind though,you can drop your hand full of dirt with,suspected target,anywhere on the Commander coil surface and you will hear it,[being a solid filled coil],whereas with the other two,having holes cut out for lightness,you can only wave the dirt in your hand over the top of the edges or top of the coil to actually hear the target sound,before discarding the hand full of dirt.

Regards kon61
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down