Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harness alternatives ?

+2
Cams 4500
ttrash
6 posters

Go down

Harness alternatives ? Empty Harness alternatives ?

Post  ttrash Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 pm

G'day all ,
Just wondering if anyone swings a GPX but either doesn't have a harness or a modified version ?
Have seen a you tube vid where a guy was wearing just the belt part of a normal Minelab harness ( cut the rest off ) battery still sat around the back.
Have also seen a control box cover , which also carried had another cover next to it where the battery
sits ...?

Cheers
Anthony
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Harness alternatives ? Empty Re: Harness alternatives ?

Post  Cams 4500 Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Anthony, I purchased from Double D Leather a control box cover which has a pocket to fit the standard GPX battery. I also purchased a short battery lead from Coiltek so I didn't need the long bungy power lead also have a speaker mounted onto the detector. Works a treat and cost 100-110 bucks.

PS, the guys at Double D know the dimensions and have made a few of them.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Harness alternatives ? Empty Re harness

Post  Guest Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:35 am

Was a post ages ago.a fella had a military camel back that took a battery ,with a good d ring.been looking for one myself

Back to top Go down

Post  staples61 Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:43 am

I just use a camel back .Battery sits in a pocket between my shoulders.

Staples

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Ttrash, Smile there's no limits but your own imagination and skills as to how you set up your detector, I have seen many different backpacks and belts used as battery carriers, I have attached my battery to my detector along with a BZ booster and twin speakers, it adds a little weight to the whole setup and you do feel it at the end of a long day but I love not being harnessed to the machine, the short power lead was generously given to me by Aurumpro ( thanks again my friend) but you could use a standard lead tucked away as needed, basically take any thing you like and adapt it to suit yourself. Wink

Wayne. cheers

Harness alternatives ? Imag0713

Harness alternatives ? Imag0714

Harness alternatives ? Imag0715

Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 am

Unless one prefers more storage space,the Camelbak Mule 3.0 litre desert for day trips is what I use and couldn't be happier.It has two major pockets top and bottom,enough room for a compact camera,a roll of toilet paper and some room for heath bars or light snacks(top pocket),and the bottom pocket for storing your battery,gps,small flash light,smokes and lighter,small compact scale and camera tripod etc,room for some extra munchies or sandwich and a built in 3 ltr reservoir that will last 2 days in the colder months,and 1 day in hot weather before refilling.Also comes with comfortable chest & waist strap,with good incorporated D rings shackles sewn in on either side of shoulder straps.cheers What a Face

Cheers guys kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:20 am

Here's my setups

This is my custom detecting belt setup, wireless.
Harness alternatives ? Pictur19

This is my camel bag with twin speaker and wireless setup.
Harness alternatives ? Pictur20
Harness alternatives ? Pictur21

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:25 pm

As usual a very tidy setup Aurumpro Wink I realise you have fitted it out yourself but is that belt something you bought or had made?

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ttrash Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Cams 4500 wrote:Anthony, I purchased from Double D Leather a control box cover which has a pocket to fit the standard GPX battery. I also purchased a short battery lead from Coiltek so I didn't need the long bungy power lead also have a speaker mounted onto the detector. Works a treat and cost 100-110 bucks.

G'day Cams hope you are well .
Thanks a lot for the info. I remember seeing your DD cover set up in Maryborough .
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Harness alternatives ? Empty Harness

Post  ttrash Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Many Thanks to all for some great comments & pics.

cheers
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

I see the Super Fix fitted to the side of your Detector Shocked Shocked

I thought they all would of been in the camp fires by now Very Happy
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Pardon my ignorance but what is the super fix? scratch

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Harness alternatives ? Empty Camelback mule

Post  ttrash Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 am

kon61 wrote: Unless one prefers more storage space,the Camelbak Mule 3.0 litre desert for day trips is what I use and couldn't be happier.It has two major pockets top and bottom,enough room for a compact camera,a roll of toilet paper and some room for heath bars or light snacks(top pocket),and the bottom pocket for storing your battery,gps,small flash light,smokes and lighter,small compact scale and camera tripod etc,room for some extra munchies or sandwich and a built in 3 ltr reservoir that will last 2 days in the colder months,and 1 day in hot weather before refilling.Also comes with comfortable chest & waist strap,with good incorporated D rings shackles sewn in on either side of shoulder straps.cheers What a Face

Cheers guys kon61.

Hello Kon
Thanks for your info. on the Camelbak
Sorry if I sound silly but when you mention about carrying your battery , Do you mean a spare .?
Or do you run your GPX battery cabled from the pak to the control box .?

Anthony
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Digginerup wrote:As usual a very tidy setup Aurumpro Wink I realise you have fitted it out yourself but is that belt something you bought or had made?

Wayne. cheers

The belt is a "Platatac" brand molly webbing belt, they are made under contract for the SAS I don't know where you can buy them from. I believe that Platatac is in Melbourne.

I really like it as it takes the weight off your shoulders and I can comfortably carry 8L of water
in the bum bag + all of my essentials and comfortably detect all day even in the hottest weather.
It is way better to carry weight on your hips than on your shoulders particularly in hot weather.
I can use the little ripper wireless or the standard minelab+ coily cord battery setups.
I hate carrying a backpack in hot conditions as I sweat allot and the backpack just gets saturated
with manky sweat and traps in allot of heat.

Same with the camel bag I can use the wireless or the standard setup.
My wife prefers the camel bag wireless/twin speaker setup as she needs the bungee cord when swinging a larger 14in+ coil.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm

ttrash wrote:
Cams 4500 wrote:Anthony, I purchased from Double D Leather a control box cover which has a pocket to fit the standard GPX battery. I also purchased a short battery lead from Coiltek so I didn't need the long bungy power lead also have a speaker mounted onto the detector. Works a treat and cost 100-110 bucks.

Thanks a lot for the info. I remember seeing your DD cover set up in Maryborough .

At the start of Easter I saw you heading south with your rig from Maryborough. I was heading there for a couple of nights with tent.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Harness alternatives ? Empty Maryborough

Post  ttrash Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm

[quote="Cams 4500"]
ttrash wrote:

At the start of Easter I saw you heading south with your rig from Maryborough. I was heading there for a couple of nights with tent.

G'day mate ,
We sold the 5th wheeler & truck in January .
I'm hanging to get back there , haven't been on the field since December
Got a BT 50 & 25ft Van now

ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:40 pm

G'day Anthony,

You run your GPX battery/cables from the lower back pocket of your back pack,to the machine.

Cheers Kon. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down