Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SD2200D and depth

3 posters

Go down

SD2200D and depth Empty SD2200D and depth

Post  U308 Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 am

Evening people this is going to be somewhat long winded, there will be some questions and some answers I am hoping some of you may be able to answer the questions.

I spent some time on the weekend doing tests with my SD2200D using mag wheel weights eg- 5 and 10 gram a set of 5 gram were cut in half to represent 2.5 gram these were buried at different depths..

2.5 @ 20mm

5 @ 10 cm

10 @ 25cm

All were found very easily with the SD2200D, so I changed the depths using only the 2.5 gram

Setting the 2.5 @ 30 cm

2.5 @ 50cm

I guess before going any further the stats of the machine should be revealed the SD2200d has been sent to minelab to be checked and up graded to 2200v2 specs??? It also runs a Coiltek Booster The trial was done using a 11 inch DD coil (minelab) and a Coiltek 14x9 SD also runs a Coiltek li-Ion Regulated System.

Some observations :- The DD was with out a doubt the star performer, the ground used for the test had very little mineralisation yet the DD coil picked up the 2.5 gram wheel weight @ 50cm clearly whereas the 14x9 was slightly less responsive (interesting) Depth wise I feel that 50cm was at the limits for the 2.5 gram.

There is no doubt now that a booster is required the difference is very transparent!!, just on the booster settings….the superior setting was achieved with booster flat out and threshold set at mozzie setting as has been previously written…. Spent about 4 hrs playing with depths and setting, for me playing around with the channel switch (ch1,ch2) was a waste of time also the boost switch (shallow, [n] or deep) set at standard achieved the best results.

Okay we will go some where else now (said it was going to be long)

Help required….

I have this piece of ground that I have been working with my limited knowledge it appears to have the whole package, schists, Green stone granite, ironstone, quartz like you would not believe in some places it looks like snow, rose coloured, yellow coloured, Quartz blows in some places 12 to 15 feet high all travelling Nth Sth, Laterite, BIF, Chert, conglomerate, diamictite, native copper also present, I won’t go on as I am sure you get the picture, I have done about 80 hrs on this patch and come up with zilch read frustrating in the dictionary.

There is the yellow stuff there as there is an old mine which run at x gpt which I know does not necessarily mean that there is alluvial gold present. I have done the sit on top of hill bit looking at possible scenarios blowed if I can see the picture tho, so what do you boys think keep going or move on lack of experience leads me to ask this question.

Excuse the spelling mistakes and possible lack of grammar as I have just spent 9 hrs on this patch for nought again, have had a couple of frothe’s to numb the pain

Cheers

Last edited by Jefgold on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Depth conversion)
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

SD2200D and depth Empty Re: SD2200D and depth

Post  Harb Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:14 am

Is it possible its just flogged out ?
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:55 am

Morning U308,
If what you say is with out doubt fact, that a gold mine existed in the area, then it is certainly worthwhile swinging around the immediate and extended area away from the shaft.
Keep in mind the age of our geology and what is now a hill may in fact been a valley eons ago.
You have mentioned you sat down and studied the surrounds, if there is any ground rising above the old strike it may pay to search there.
Most of us sometime in our detecting experience have always detected below old workings only to find later a run of nuggets on the upside.
Good luck, hope to hear you have had some success to repay your patience.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi U308
Sounds as though youre in a not good enough to stay but too good to leave situation.Is up up and down down is always the riddle.Peter makes a good point which is worth exploring.The other side of it is that down could be down.If the shaft is higher than some of the surround land have a look at the area in the early morning or just before dusk.Look for slight changes in contours and keep heading to the lower ground.Find the lowest point and grid back from it.Are there any old watercouses at the lowpoint if so follow them.Gold can be carried kilometers from its original shed.
Good Luck Cheers Dig

Last edited by Dig24crt on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Yes nightjar fact (why would one deal in anything less) This has an open cut on it 90,000 ton top cut 6g/t very shallow… also a laterite deposit not mined.

Excerpts taken from report:-

Masssive sulphide zone containing arsenic, antimony, silver occur with gold mineralisation, copper,lead

Samples were also assayed for tungsten, moly is also present.

Rock types are mainly mafic and ultramafic volcanics felsic volcanics, talc carbonate rock including shales,conglomerates, arenites. Banded chert and banded iron, dolerite dykes and sills also occur,oligomictic conglomerate contains banded chert, The laterite scree is to the west

Behind the open cut is rolling hill type of terrian this is where 90% of the quartz is located, in front is where the laterite is this leads to tens of kilometers of flat ground. I have had a swing around the outside of the open cut for no return nightjar, the interesting thing when looking at the open cut walls one can see where the iron has been leaked to the surface in narrow veins.

No old gold working exist in the area.

Just thinking about the contours there is a dry lake that is about a kilometre away the flow into it does come from the the deposit area, I did actually ride thru the lake, the surface is covered in quartz and small black ironstone, I did stop and have a walk around and thought maybe then decided to move on as it was late in the day…will make that a target for the next trip

The next trip I will take a camera and hope to post some pics.

Harb- not flogged out as it is not very accessible miles from anywhere 2 wheeler required due to regrowth and very sharp rocks that will shred tyres

Thanks for the thoughts guys SD2200D and depth Icon_cool [/size]

Last edited by U308 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Font size)
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down