Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there

4 posters

Go down

Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there Empty Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there

Post  dieselndust Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am

Hi just getting started and was wondering if any has some detecting activity in the Uralla area (NSW).
I have a GPX5000 with luck as yet. Am looking forward to finding a bit soon Shocked bounce

Last edited by dieselndust on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dieselndust
dieselndust
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-02-22

Back to top Go down

Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there Empty Re: Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there

Post  Ben78 Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi dieselndust,

I recently did a bit of research into Uralla as I did a panning trip into there. There would definitely be value in setting up a highbanker in there.

In my research I found an article that mentioned gold being found at a rate of 2-3 dwt per pan 'but not to rush as there was already 2000 men working the gully' The gully referred to is Sawpit which is just to the Northwest of Uralla. I would suspect that 2-3 pennyweight which is 4-5grams would have to contain at least a few pickers. Armidale Council recently did some culvert works in the Sawpit gully area.

Your biggest hurdle will be that the whole area is very much private property.

Good Luck!

Ben
Ben78
Ben78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there Empty Thanks Ben78 Was thinking of a week trip with a mate to try our luck

Post  dieselndust Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Ben78 wrote:Hi dieselndust,

I recently did a bit of research into Uralla as I did a panning trip into there. There would definitely be value in setting up a highbanker in there.

In my research I found an article that mentioned gold being found at a rate of 2-3 dwt per pan 'but not to rush as there was already 2000 men working the gully' The gully referred to is Sawpit which is just to the Northwest of Uralla. I would suspect that 2-3 pennyweight which is 4-5grams would have to contain at least a few pickers. Armidale Council recently did some culvert works in the Sawpit gully area.

Good Luck!

Ben
dieselndust
dieselndust
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there Empty hey ben

Post  madmaverick Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Ben78 wrote:Hi dieselndust,

Good Luck!

Ben

we are heading down that way over Easter and the following week,,, any info appreciated and keen to catch up if ya keen,,,,, we will prob be based around Bingara at the moment, but ya never know where we might end up lol

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there Empty Re: Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there

Post  Chimpy Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 am

G'day

I spent some time at Uralla last winter. The public fossicking area has fairly basic camping with a long-drop dunny and lots and lots of pyrite/mica in the creek. The place has been turned over many times but still produces flood gold and small garnets/zircons. Outside this area there are a few places you can access the river next to bridges but as previously stated most of the good looking bits are on private property. I don't use a tector so can't comment on the area about that but personally wouldn't bother returning for wet prospecting in the public areas. We highbanked about 2 grams over 5 days of hard slog. Search 'Uralla Gold' in Trove for all the old articles and reports on the area. Hope this helps

Cheers

Chimpy

Last edited by Chimpy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgetin stuff)

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben78 Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:40 am

Coffs or Uralla MadMaverick? Crampo is having a Relic and Gold Club meeting at Glenreagh the Easter weekend. I'm not sure if I'll be home or heading south yet (its only a week away!!)

This is a little video I did of my short time at the public fossicking area at Uralla. Note that it does see a lot of traffic but when you watch the family groups just digging sand in the bank and panning it you know the gold is still safe Razz

There was such a group there when I went. I cut some roots off the ball I was working and showed them how to wash the roots and pan and then the gold left in the pan. I left them a clump of roots and they went back to panning the coarse river beach sand. Ah well I tried!

Ben78
Ben78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  madmaverick Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Ben78 wrote:Coffs or Uralla MadMaverick? Crampo is having a Relic and Gold Club meeting at Glenreagh the Easter weekend. I'm not sure if I'll be home or heading south yet (its only a week away!!)

This is a little video I did of my short time at the public fossicking area at Uralla. Note that it does see a lot of traffic but when you watch the family groups just digging sand in the bank and panning it you know the gold is still safe Razz

There was such a group there when I went. I cut some roots off the ball I was working and showed them how to wash the roots and pan and then the gold left in the pan. I left them a clump of roots and they went back to panning the coarse river beach sand. Ah well I tried!

Hi there Ben,, Uralla public fossicking area will prob be our base, to start with anyways, there is a lot of areas in that vacinity that we would like to explore, we will be down that way till Easter Sunday week so feel free to drop us a line if you are goin to be around,,,, take care

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Any success in Uralla for detectorists? Soverign Gold Co. have found good fortune there Empty Trip to Uralla

Post  dieselndust Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am

Hi all, just returned from my visit to Uralla and yes it is not suitable for the use of a detector. Only fine gold found in a small, well used fossicking area. Have found that most desirable areas have been locked up by mining companies or is on private land. Went to Bingara and the local information office located in the recently refurbished picture theartre, what a building and worth a visit if you are in the area, and was directed to an operating mine site on the old Upper Bingera Rd. When we got there the place was locked up until Thursday, 28/3/2013, oh well we tried and left before Easter rush began. There is gold around but it is fine gold and I did not find those "2000 men in Sawpit Gully "
dieselndust
dieselndust
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am

I have to disagree dieselndust. I have just spent two weeks there and did really well. If you dig in the right spot there is some nice chunky gold there aswell as loads of flour. There are quite a few sluiced gullies that are ideal for detecting, I spent most of my time panning though. Got about 8g of yellow, 10 sapphires and a little pile of topazes, from about 2 hrs work each day. Had a great time.

DD

Back to top Go down