Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satellite phone

+3
shelby23
Gold Miner
bundyjack
7 posters

Go down

Satellite phone Empty Satellite phone

Post  bundyjack Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 pm

We are heading to WA this year and after a bit of research have decided to buy a sat phone to use in case of emergency. Just wondering if any of the members have had some experience with these phones,what type?, phone plans etc. I opted for a phone instead of a HF radio, radio quote $3300, phone $ 1400 plus plan cost, any advice would be appreciated.....cheers jack

bundyjack
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Satellite phone Empty Re: Satellite phone

Post  Gold Miner Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi JackIf you want something just for emergencies, check this thread out.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t14066-personal-locator-beacons
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Satellite phone Empty Satellite phone

Post  bundyjack Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks goldminer, I have a PLB to use in a medical emergency, but would like a phone in case of a breakdown or getting bogged as we travel alone, I guess I would use the PLB when I run out of water or beer....cheers jack

bundyjack
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Can you hire a sat phone ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes you can hire them, Google is you friend.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks ! It was a rhetorical question to the op ! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:59 pm

This is the one I bought and use on my remote property and never had any problems getting reception at all.
It has a great plan and you can text to the phone for free, from the phones, isatphonelive.com, Internet site.
Prepaid plan is great for texting, it is cheap.
Talking is expensive on all sat phones.

http://isatphonelive.com/

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Satellite phone Empty Satellite phone.

Post  sandy2010 Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01 pm

bundyjack wrote:We are heading to WA this year and after a bit of research have decided to buy a sat phone to use in case of emergency. Just wondering if any of the members have had some experience with these phones,what type?, phone plans etc. I opted for a phone instead of a HF radio, radio quote $3300, phone $ 1400 plus plan cost, any advice would be appreciated.....cheers jack

*********************Jack,
Ring (08) 9331 0070 at your first opportunity(speak to Behram)......This guy will give you the info and /or the phone you need..........There has been a huge Fed govt. subsidy which is close to ending or may have just ended.....I think it was around $200 when I got mine.....I think I paid around $500 which included $100 of calls with 2 years to use the credits.
www.gmdas.com.au
email: info@gmdas.com.au

Cheers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:23 pm

This company is still offering the subsidy.

http://www.clientsat.com.au/which-airtime-provider/

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:07 am

Hi BundyJ, I purchased an iridium 9555 from this mob; http://www.satellitephonesales.com.au/ It came in a shock proof pelican case.
I live in a remote non mobile reception area so i got the full gov subsidy. If you have mobile reception where you live you should be able to claim the 1/2 subsidy if you work in non reception areas.

You can buy a used (pre-loved) 9555 phone for $900 from the above company but you must get a one year $38.50 a month airtime plan. (the call costs are on their wenbsite)
If you get the gov subsidy you can buy a phone and you must be on a contract airtime plan for 2 years. Under the subsidy you can buy a phone outright and then get a $10 telstra plan and you have satisfied the subsidy requirements. Most sat phone companies will say you need to be on an airtime plan with them however this is wrong. You can buy the phone outright and then get a telstra $10 plan. This is where you get a 3g sim with international roaming turned on etc.

If you plan to ring family etc reguarly when in WA and not in a mobile reception area and may have them ring you occassionally on the satphone then get the 38.50 plan or similar. An advantage of the plan is your friends can send you SMS messages free via the iridium website for free. I think you can get up to 10 SMS a day free.

When in WA we usually have an arrangement with all friends/family that we always turn the phone on between 6-6:30 pm (WA time) everyday and that is when they ring, otherwise they can send an SMS.

If you only want the phone for emergencies get the Telstra $10 plan. The cost of calls on the Telstra plan are very very very high. $4 a minute pluss a $1 connection fee minimum. $2 for SMS.
I have all the phone numbers for WA toyota parts dealers in the main towns and emergency numbers ready for when i need a tow or perhaps a water pump etc. 99% of issues in the desert are not life threatening but you need to be able to phone someone or more likely its the family back home who need to call you due to an issue/emergency with family etc.
By the way i personally would recommend only going with the iridium system for its reliability. Plus the iridium phones have good resale value. Others system phones could easily become useless in the future.

Satellite phone IMG_0853800x488_zpsb1e1a811

Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Satellite phone Empty Re:Satellite phone

Post  sandy2010 Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:49 pm

******* A word of caution to all: You cannot sell the sat. phone if you have claimed the subsidy....I believe you have to refund the subsidy otherwise you are making a profit at the Govts. expense !

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Ow yes sandy2010

I am sure everyone will rush in with their money to the Receiver of Public Moneys,
I wouldn't want the satellite phone police to get you.
I was wondering how would they know you sold it?
Is there someone in the government without a life that check these transactions?
Just wondering.

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Wrap it up in Pink Batts and you will get away with it cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Chimpy Wed May 08, 2013 6:15 am

G'day

I saw these posted somewhere recently. Turns your iphone into a sat phone for a reasonable price

http://www.thuraya.com/SatSleeve

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Tue May 28, 2013 7:14 pm

sandy2010 wrote:

******* A word of caution to all: You cannot sell the sat. phone if you have claimed the subsidy....I believe you have to refund the subsidy otherwise you are making a profit at the Govts. expense !

Be lucky.

If you buy a phone and get the government subsidy you can sell the phone after being on a contract for 2 years. And people don't realise that the rules say any contract . So you may move from one provider to another after say a year when the initial contract ends. But after 2 years its yours you can sell it and you do not need to be on a contract. You may find you want to keep the phone and buy a iridium airtime sim with a set amount of minutes with a 1 or 3 or 6 month expiry. You can buy the minutes just prior to heading to WA or the wilds detecting.
Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down