Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS

+2
shandeemax
Scrubhen
6 posters

Go down

UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS Empty UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS

Post  Scrubhen Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:18 pm

OK this is not about gold but beach detecting, as I frequently metal detect a beach on the Sunshine Coast and yes, you do find all sorts of odd things in the sand at times but the following has me very curious.

30.12.08 I uncovered 12 tins of Big Sister Traditional Plum Pudding buried separately in the dry sand at distances of three to four meters apart. Each Big Sister 350g can was buried about 250mm deep.

The cans of pudding was in excellent condition and we have consumed several.

Now again yesterday,12.01.2010 on the same beach I have just found another batch of 14 tins that were packed 06.05.09 and are in perfect condition and have not been in the sand more than about two weeks

All the tins were buried evenly spaced in an area of roughly 30 metres by 30 metres as above

Wondering if there is anyone who may have an answer to this peculiarity, is it connected to some religion?

I have placed this find also on another forum hoping someone has a sensible answer

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS Empty Re: UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS

Post  shandeemax Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Gidday Ron,
Yep, just about as unusual as you get. I have no real idea other than perhaps a local club that may have set up for a treasure hunt type event (subsequently spoiled due to mysterious disappearance of cans UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS Icon_eek ) . One other thing you could try is to contact Big Sister & ask if they were conducting any trials on there products there- corrosion resistance of cans in salt/sand environment or something.
You never know, the R&D for some of these companies is pretty weird sometimes - I know 'cause I used to do that sort of work.
Cheers,
Andy
shandeemax
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS Empty unusual beach finds

Post  6365 gold fever Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 pm

May be ..Whoever buried the cans thought .that the detectorist that frequents the beach area needed a good feed christmas day.. regards Gold fever

6365 gold fever
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 am

I heard my detecting partner yelling from the end of the beach with his hand in the air "Gold,Gold".I wandered up to him and when close enough noticed he had a VB unopened in his hand.He said to me "Yeh liquid gold".
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Just a reminder Ron to charge up the detector batteries...it's nearing Big Sister time! Very Happy

p.s. did you ever get to the bottom of the mystery?

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Madtuna,
Still no closer to solving the Big Sister mystery.
Unfortunately I will be in Grafton until 2nd week of 2011, so will be very intrested in checking the beach as soon as I get back.
Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Julzngemz Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Gee, that is an unusal find, but a yummy one! Very Happy
Julzngemz
Julzngemz
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-09

Back to top Go down

UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS Empty UNUSUAL BEACH FINDS

Post  ucdailoiagain Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Several years ago there was a bloke (North of Brisbane) who was tying bottles filled with water to posts along the highway. I remember it lasting for at least 18 months.
There was eventually an article in the newspapers about him.
Maybe he went on to burying puddings....

ucdailoiagain
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down