Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4500 service

3 posters

Go down

4500 service Empty 4500 service

Post  goldfisher Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi all, Am interested to know if owners have there machine serviced after big trips.. was in WA for 4mths and wonder if i should , what do most do.........

goldfisher
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

4500 service Empty Re: 4500 service

Post  AraratGold Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi goldfisher,
I would not bother, I have had mine for 20 months now and it has not been ' serviced " once. It has clocked up several thousand hours now, but is still purring. 4500 service Icon_biggrin Only send it back if something is obviously wrong with it. It's the old adage, if it aint broke, don't fix it !
Cheers,
Rick in Ararat
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  shicer Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:30 pm

a service? its not a car its a circuit board .
shicer
shicer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:17 am

Gday

The only reason I would send my detector into minelab for a check up, is if I was encountering some sort of electrical problem, something that was occuring during operation, for instance if I was getting some out of the ordinary and unusual persistant noises, apart from the usual emi stuff.

However there are many things that you can do yourself such as cleaning the machine, and checking for loose control knobs and switches, loose connector plugs for the coil and power cable can cause issues, so careful checking and cleaning should be all thats needed as far as the control box goes, pay attention to the switches, clean any build up of dirt from around the base of the switch post, toothpicks are good for this and a small paintbrush.

The other obvious things are removing skid plates from your coils, giving them a clean and re tape, and checking the leads and plugs, and checking a re charging your batteries prior to storage.

I throw my harness/belt in the washing machine , and have a look at the buckles and stitching, the plastic buckles tend to crack and come apart during use so have a close look at that as well.

If you make a habit of doing this type of maintainence you will be surprised how often you will find something that could become a serious issue at a later date, not to mention it will lower the chances of you having a failure while out bush that could ruin your trip.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down