Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to this - off to Hill End soon

4 posters

Go down

New to this - off to Hill End soon Empty New to this - off to Hill End soon

Post  juwilliamson Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to this but have decided to go on a trip to Hill End for the first weekend in February. I've rented out a Whites' Coinmaster (I know this is nowhere near the best but far cheaper to rent out than a new model Minelab) and got some pans as well. If anybody has any advice on places to go or other information then please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Jules

juwilliamson
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

New to this - off to Hill End soon Empty Re: New to this - off to Hill End soon

Post  kon61 Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:09 am

Getting out there and giving it a go is what its all about. Welcome to the forum Jules cheers What a Face

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  dogstar 71 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Hello all have just joined, it looks great in here.
just bought my first detector last week and have had success on first two trips to the beach...yay.
I am also planning a trip to Hill End in the next few weeks to give the detector a real workout, so would love to hear
how your tector performed. I would rank myself as a complete novice and its a fair drive from here ( bout 1200k's) so
any tips, hints or information would go a long way.

good luck

dogstar 71

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenhero Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 am

Welcome to the forum Jules and dogstar 71 , goodluck . cheers Mick

goldenhero
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2012-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  juwilliamson Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I got back from Hill End yesterday and had a great time there. We stayed at the Hill End lodge which was great. The guys who run it there, John and Bernie are great chaps and would recommend it there. We were also doing quite a bit of the tourist things rather than just detecting. One morning we went out with a chap called Ted Abbott who does gold panning tours. He's 78 and has been doing it for years. He showed us how to pan for gold and we managed to get quite a few specks (nothing big but still great to see it!). The detector I used was alright. We went exploring around the Golden Gulley area. The first thing I found was a $2 coin buried 15cm down! Apart from that I found the usual junk of nails, bottle tops and other random bits of metal. I don't think the detector was quite sensitive enough though and not sure I could rely on it to find nuggets buried deeper down. I also don't think the operator was the best! I am seriously thinking about investing in a good one so will check out the other forum on here. In speaking with Ted and others, the best place to detect is around the Tambaroora area. There is lots of common land there. I'd also recommend going off the beaten track otherwise you find a lot of junk and not much gold. I'd also recommend popping into the visitor centre. They have maps there and can give you advice. Anyway that's all. I wish you all the best with it dogstar and let me know how you get on!

juwilliamson
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 am

Sound's like you had a ball. cheers mate cheers

Back to top Go down