Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CTX 3030 USERS REVIEW

+29
MammothShaft
doyta
chippy
rimfire007
GOFORIT
Firefly
Rwork
gold digger
Alan WA
Sw1fty
Mechanic
Narrawa
Hotrocks
picknshuffle
ttrash
Detrackozi
Jigalong
Minermike
Jonathan Porter
Gldseeker
slimpickens
malcolm mclean
Ash100456
philip.j.thompson
Curley
getascripter
Nightjar
Twodogs/Dion
CostasDee
33 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

CTX 3030 USERS REVIEW - Page 4 Empty Re: CTX 3030 USERS REVIEW

Post  Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 pm

jamessmith2 wrote:When I have this all sorted and the ctxs working or gone I will pm you with a the few little things I prefer with my etrac set up that your mate might want to try with your old machine

Any chance of posting them in a new thread for others that have an E-Trac?  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am

Hi jamessmith2
No need to pm me your etrac settings as I got the etrac sussed and I taught my mate how to use it and its got all of my custom search modes programmed into it so hes doing just fine and we almost never look for modern coins.

I've found the depth indicator very reliable except on large targets like a large late Byzantium silver bracelet I found in europe (which it tells you are much shallower than they are) and very small targets like gold nuggets (which it tells you are deeper than they are).
But on coins, rings, ect it is very accurate for me

Last year I hit an area with the ctx that I had gridded and cross gridded with the etrac and I found 43 silver coins that no matter what I did with the settings on my old etrac it couldn't pick them up in the iron trash clutter.

I would persist if I was you as the ctx is a way better detector but it is not an etrac so perhaps you have to re-program your self to learn the ctx.

Oh yea and READ THE MANUAL (I've read it over 100 times) heaps of info in there.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am

lenoil wrote:
Aurumpro wrote:my best was $853 in 4 hrs

Shocked 

I was shocked too but 20,000 drunk and trashed people all crammed in to a small area drop allot of coins.
My mate holds the record at just over 900 bucks the bugger must have hit the beer line area.

Also found a few bags with a mysterious green stuff in them  T31 
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  jamessmith2 Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:29 am

First a public retraction of any implied aspersions on the credibility of the "GUEST" writer who was not in fact a guest but (unknown to me) a regular to the forum of known integrity.

My reasons for the comments were the result of build up of frustrations with the wallet pulsing at the thought of over $4200 down the drain. At the time I was "red hot" at what I assumed to be a "Advertorial" by a minelab salaried tester, or dealer associated similar person

My progress report

At the moment it still seems one useless machine is within factory specs- Greg John's (from Minelab Torrensville Headquarters words) - he says I could/should if I want to sell it as a good working machine (as Miners Den Bendigo did to me) saying that "in all honesty" even though I know better.

That machine at this stage compared to my etrac is a piece of **** THERE IS NO WAY IN THE FIELD THAT IT IS ABLE TO BE USED TO ACHIEVE FINDING PRECISELY(within 4square inches) EVEN HIDDEN JUNK ALLY BOTTLE TOPS WITH OUT A CONVOLUTED PROCESS OF HALVING ERRORS TO AVERAGE OUT WHERE THE BEST CHANCE OF THE ITEM ACTUALLY IS LOCATED.

Now though, with Information Aurumpro volunteered quickly, even after my comments, and Info I got from Minelab which they were nearly providing as a last resort, like pulling teeth, I can honestly say that
" Aurumpro's pictures are in fact reasonable indicators of what a GOOD WORKING, ctx in the hands of a experienced AND with it operator CAN achieve."

ALSO I comment that Aurumpro has a better knowledge of all types of detecting, and how to used the ctx across the full spectrum of uses than some at Minelab. , It looks like he cares about Minelab's good name more than some working there, he has the same faith in his ctx I have in my etrac, and old SD- .

IF I was to copy the logic politicians use on us I honestly could say statistically in my experience 50% of ctxs are bad- but what I want is in my case to be able to say both of mine are now great machines- which I can"t.

The near new machine now certainly can be set to match my etrac in performance the way I do most of my searching.
Some in Minelab are worried about unhappy owners, and with the assistance of these guys I am now firstly putting the GOOD ctx through all its paces/features and then go through a full set of points where the BAD machine is BAD - as it does pass their AIRWAVE within specs test.

The first obvious points are that with the bad machine it is incredibly hard to regularly easily find the actual target, and when you do the depth indicator is way out.
By contract with the good ctx it is rarely hard to locate the actual target, and by eye the depth indicator is spot on 99% of time.
I can understand Minelab being secretive about the logic of exactly how their machines work, but If I have to help fault find and specify what makes one of two machines at identical settings un usable then it would be easier if a logic diagram check sheet was available, without me having to get in touch with Chinese Hackers to get logic diagrams.

AS a general comment for all, hobbyists with a straight out of the box use of any brand machines and luck will always get a little-- and these results are not to be denigrated in any way, and health bonuses fresh air exercise, meet nice people, relaxation etc.
If though ones ambitions are higher levels- and wanting to achieve is also to be admired then it becomes important to also get deeper and research all the variables. The actual research results then are what the serious operators get secretive about, this can lead to a cat and mouse situation with what I know and won't tell you when observing a group of detector when they are on the slops.
A certain level of luck always is in the mix, but the first step is to start identifying the variables easily changed.
OK, Coffee and ctx time.
j

jamessmith2
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Glad to see you got it working jamessmith2

For the record: I dont care about minelabs reputation or have any special love for minelab as a company.
I just want the best detector I can get to make my job easier.
It is a pity that no other manufacturer will/can step up to the plate.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  jamessmith2 Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am

I must admit I am in total agreement with your latest first line,
AND Because of your second line I still have to say that even with the "one out of two ctxs usable", there are certain uses that the etrac functions as a better coin sweeper (with sef coil) than the ctx.
Did your mate who beat you at the Domain happen to be using your old etrac?

With the 6" coil Nenad from minelab loaned me I hit a old well hammered haunt of mine and did conclude there was a minor improvement in some respects compared to the etrac, but is it worth the extra $. THat depends on ones love of digging
I am back to minelab today to see Nenad, give him the loan coil back, and discuss among other thing if it is possible to pull the bells and whistles crap off the dud machine, and put on the etrac ops system with the ctx processor etc.
Otherwise 40446501115 will be up for sale quoting MinersDen Bendigo saying it is a tested good working machine,(when selling it to me) and quoting Greg Johns from minelab assuring me it passes their standards as being within tolerance. People who seem to be reasonable will be told of my honest beliefs re that machine.

I have already deliberatly not sold it to a seeming honest hard working country lad who had read a newspaper story of thousands a week to be made easily by using a ctx. He could not really afford to lose his $2000, due to opportunistic product propaganda in a major Adelaide paper.
Also interesting will be how long it takes for the tax office to require all ctx owners to fill in BAS Statements monthly seeing the manufacturer's tester Mark Williams is putting his name to "He has uncovered $18,000 worth of current and historic coins and other artefacts in the past year alone, including $1800 in just a few days after a major music festival in Bonython Park."
Even with the good machine it is not a improvement over the etrac in ALL functions as implied in the advertising,
in some ways there are improvements, in others not,
It really depends on the actual prime intended function for the machine,
as a coin sweeper the dud machine is a dud, and the ok machine overall nowhere near as easy to use as the etrac, but it does crunch the numbers quicker to let you know you are very close to a programmed target.
If it is not a surface coin you can get a visual on, then the down sides of the ctx come into play, and you start losing time!
Your competition after say a major music festival is your mate with a detector and speed/ easy of popping the trodden in coin is of the essence.
I pay for my other detecting pursuits from this style of cream skimming as except for serious gold/prospecting in at least a semi professional way the finds generally do not even pay fuel costs.
It causes me much annoyance when there is TOO much positiveness in advertising, and no mention of negatives, eg curved screen dramas and screen burnout lines /blobs with ctx, coil connector/cable problems,with ctx, lots of USA forum talk of bad coils in general. WATER LEAKS into a waterproof machine- either from easily falling out, or sand affected battery seals, or water ingress through usb port--and water damage is not covered in Australia under warrantee, AND PROGRAM GLITCHES, which get comments like "oh yeah, thats normal when when using this setting" from minelab service.
My suggestion is if you want to spend big $ on this machine do some very serious homework,
Look seriously at your level of detecting, are you going to be a hobbyist, serious hobbyist, enthusiastically serious hobbyist or have enough time to step up a notch and be at least semi professional in your approach. Then also consider the amount extra you have to pay ,
I did not stay for long at the last Glenelg Minelab Day, But hear say is a couple of top $ whites machines embarrased the ctxs--I have never detected with a non minelab machine, but now prefer a garrett pinpointer over the minelab- got both-minelab was first - so I really can't comment on other brands of detector.

MY RECOMMENDATION IS TAKE ALL MINELAB POSITIVES FROM EVERWHERE WITH SOME CAUTION INTERESTING THAT THERE ARE NO LOAN MACHINES TO TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!

jamessmith2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 pm

My responses in red
jamessmith2 wrote:I must admit I am in total agreement with your latest first line,
AND Because of your second line I still have to say that even with the "one out of two ctxs usable", there are certain uses that the etrac functions as a better coin sweeper (with sef coil) than the ctx.
I loved the butterfly coils  and the 15in coiltek on the etrac.
And am very dissapionted that minlab put the chip in the coils that stops the after market manufacturers from making coils for the ctx

Did your mate who beat you at the Domain happen to be using your old etrac?NO he uses the CTX he still has his etrac but hasen't used it for over a year.

With the 6" coil Nenad from minelab loaned me I hit a old well hammered haunt of mine and did conclude there was a minor improvement in some respects compared to the etrac, but is it worth the extra $. THat depends on ones love of digging That was pretty good of Nenad and it sounds like they have pretty good customer service.
I am back to minelab today to see Nenad, give him the loan coil back, and discuss among other thing if it is possible to pull the bells and whistles crap off the dud machine, and put on the etrac ops system with the ctx processor etc.  scratch  scratch  scratch can't see em doing that
Otherwise 40446501115 will be up for sale quoting MinersDen Bendigo saying it is a tested good working machine,(when selling it to me) and quoting Greg Johns from minelab assuring me it passes their standards as being within tolerance. People who seem to be reasonable will be told of my honest beliefs re that machine.

I have already deliberatly not sold it to a seeming honest hard working country lad who had read a newspaper story of thousands a week to be made easily by using a ctx. He could not really afford to lose his $2000, due to opportunistic product propaganda in a major  Adelaide paper.
Also interesting will be how long it takes for the tax office to require all ctx owners to fill in BAS StatementsSSSSHHHHHHHH  silent  DON'T GIVE THE BASTARDS ANY IDEAS.  T02  monthly seeing the manufacturer's tester Mark Williams is putting his name to "He has uncovered $18,000 worth of current and historic coins and other artefacts in the past year alone, including $1800 in just a few days after a major music festival in Bonython Park."I can definitely believe that as I have recovered WAYYYYY more than that since its release
Even with the good machine it is not a improvement over the etrac in ALL functions as implied in the advertising,
in some ways there are improvements, in others not,
It really depends on the actual prime intended function for the machine,
as a coin sweeper the dud machine is a dud, and the ok machine overall nowhere near as easy to use as the etrac, but it does crunch the numbers quicker to let you know you are very close to a programmed target.
If it is not a surface coin you can get a visual on, then the down sides of the ctx come into play, and you start losing time!
Your competition  after say a major music festival is your mate with a detector and speed/ easy of popping the trodden in coin is of the essence.
I pay for my other detecting pursuits from this style of cream skimming as except for serious gold/prospecting in at least a semi professional way the finds generally do not even pay fuel costs. I almost never look for modern coins and both my mate and I nearly always like 90% of the time we more than cover costs with our CTX's. An average early aussie silver is worth around 20 bucks and its not unusual for us to get 20+ in a session.
It causes me much annoyance when there is TOO much positiveness in advertising, and no mention of negatives, eg curved screen dramas and screen burnout lines /blobs with ctx, coil connector/cable problems,with ctx, lots of USA forum talk of bad coils in general. I have been lucky I supose mine has had no problems but one of my mates is on his 3rd ctx and another is on his second ctx due to the screen problems WATER LEAKS into a waterproof machine- either from easily falling out, or sand affected battery seals, or water ingress through usb port--and water damage is not covered in Australia under warrantee, One of my mates drouned his ctx due to leaking seal  but for the record minlab replaced the detector AND PROGRAM GLITCHES, which get comments like "oh yeah, thats normal when when using this setting" from minelab service. scratch  scratch 
My suggestion is if you want to spend big $ on this machine do some very serious homework,
Look seriously at your level of detecting, are you going to be a hobbyist, serious hobbyist, enthusiastically serious hobbyist or have enough time to step up a notch and be at least semi professional in your approach. Then also consider the amount extra you have to pay , You should always do your reaserch BEFORE YOU BUY A DETECTOR
I did not stay for long at the last Glenelg Minelab Day, But hear say is a couple of top $ whites machines embarrased the ctxs--I have never detected with a non minelab machine, but now prefer a garrett pinpointer over the minelab- got both-minelab was first  - so I really can't comment on other brands of detector.
Ive used most of the whites detectors except the new spectra v3i which I am interested to try and whites dose make a good detector so they are worth consideration
MY RECOMMENDATION IS TAKE ALL MINELAB POSITIVES FROM EVERWHERE WITH SOME CAUTION INTERESTING THAT THERE ARE NO LOAN MACHINES TO TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!  
Mate minersden in sydney lent me the demo ctx to try before I bought mine
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

CTX 3030 USERS REVIEW - Page 4 Empty RE: CTX 3030 USERS REVIEW

Post  sa.newbie Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

G'Day Steve

I notice this in this very interesting review

gold digger wrote:hi all i have a x terra 705 was going to buy a sd but after reading this thread i think the 3030 is the go as i do a lot of parks and the beach what a great forum to learn top marks to every one  happy new year to all :cheers:steve

I bought this -> x-terra 705 Gold Pack as my 1st detector

I was thinking / still am thinking about this -> GPX 5000

Did you buy the 3030 ???

If you did how did it go ???

From what I have read it is more for relics, rather than AU ???

I really like the idea it is water proof, as I often carry my dismantled 705 on my dirt bike & have been thru. a number of water crossing !!!

Being water proof would be the major reason I can think of for choosing a 3030 over a 5000

How long did it take you to learn the 3030 ???

TIA

NG

Last edited by sa.newbie on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing the URL links)

sa.newbie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-10-20

http://ozgold.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  jamessmith2 Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:29 am

First to SA Newbie, Personally I would not even consider a ctx3030 in the same train of thought as a 5000, two different designs for two totally different types of use, both are supposed to be top of line detectors designed for to do two different jobs, but instead of having blind faith in any advertised specs really do some thorough research into what is best after you decide what you are going to actually do with it. A quick comment don't consider a 4800, i think it was- good design ruined by being built with parts from China--ones rebuilt with up to spec parts are good but how do you tell in a quick tryout or buying over the net??

Greetings Aurumpro,
You were right, there is no minelab interest in putting the etrac system in the higher processor speed body of the ctx.
We definitely have a different attitude from Minersden Adelaide to customers than Sydney if Sydney actually gave you a machine to try out. Adelaide has new owner since move from North to South. The two people behind counter are polite, etc but have to work with a dealer who doesn't give cant understand how to spell service, I still hold receipts for item firstly definitely ordered, then paid for up front , and finally refunded for after the item was not in stock weeks after.
Yes, The service guys at Torrensville are great, even after I have kept hounding them re what I perceive to be a problem machine,
I am also the victim of no paper manual in a way, because my access to the cd based one is intermittent.

You are so much luckier regards the old silver being in Sydney, first the 100+ years of establishment, and population size, also our local Adelaide areas were very much easier to work well with the earlier generation machines,
So much so that less trash has meant in the past I actually successfully even used the SD to dig every target in areas I decided were worth doing, I will pm the results if you are interested personally, they were mediocre, but special to me - one item was worth paying for professional cleaning.

Program glitches refers to regular spurious targets usually over the right lowers screen when in coin fe discriminate- I have experienced- and others that exist in different settings I have not personally experienced- I surmise these are products of the number crunching of the programs.
Re what I call the DUD machine it is again in Minelab's hands, this time I am assured it will be really field tested, i have allowed a open time frame to allow for the intermittent nature of the variables to be hopefully sorted.
Wish you all the best personally, and fruitful results for your researched searches.
j
Apologies for typo errors, time for coffee

jamessmith2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Long time since I have been here , interesting post and replies to say the least , good to see Aurumpro back as well

jamessmith2, what happened to your CTX's in the end did you sell them and reclaim some of your money back? And what did you replace it with?

Question for Aurumpro In hot ground what settings would you recommend for the CTX with high amount of trash eg; like an old miners town where Sovereign's were a real possibility?

Cheers Marty

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  jamessmith2 Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi,
I Sold the newer "GOOD"/best of the two machines, for a little less than it owed me, replaced it with a top of the line Whites, honestly in many ways a pig of a machine to use compared to the etrac but when it is properly set up it gives me what I want, QUICK, thorough coin sweeping where I can find it and pop it in seconds as it is always where expected; when chasing the quick cash as opposed to serious slow detecting.
As all the non minelab people who tried both machines and rejected 40446501115 ex MinersDen Bendigo as being a dud I gave up on trying to sell it after I sold the other.
I STILL have it & have had the occasional dabble with it and find if time is not a factor, and one absolutely uses the pinpointer thru the full cycle, (and one doesnot mind often at random digging foot deep holes to find nothing) one can find things,-- but if one has to use the pinpointer thru full cycle at multiple angles to triangulate exactly where the target should be -- this is of course too time consuming for coin sweeping etc.
Regards the Whites I would also not recommend it as a easy machine, to get on top of, but it is achieving what I want out of it, and filling the coin tins a little better than the etrac, and the better of the ctx's was and a lot better than the rubbish ctx .
If I was recommending VALUE for $ spent, and ease of learning for a beginner -while accepting slower number crunching I would probably recommend a used etrac one has a chance to actually try out , preferably with hands on hints from the seller.
Regards Choices for experienced users I have mentioned what has worked and is working for me, and from my perspective tried to balance what I regard to be sometimes too optimistic advertising.

jamessmith2
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4