Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Oz GPZ 7000 Users

4 posters

Go down

West Oz GPZ 7000 Users Empty West Oz GPZ 7000 Users

Post  mulgadansa Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:56 pm

Gday All
I'm the eternal procrastinator and have put off jumping into this new machine while I'm still having great results with my GPX. Can some WA users of the 7k give some info as to how they handle the large alkaline, magnetite/haematite and saltier type areas over here (where we find most of our gold). Most of the reports I'm reading are Eastern States based and wouldn't reflect our soils I think.
Recent posts by IchiBan and Vasilis seem to indicate there are issues in the noisier ground, of which there is a truckload of here. Davsgold seems to have a handle on it to some extent but doesn't sound entirely happy I'm thinking? What about you Madtuna, are you on this wagon yet?
Some of the earlier posts, around the release of the machine, were more negative I think because the users hadn't got their heads around the methodology of using the new technology perhaps?
Any info would be appreciated.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

West Oz GPZ 7000 Users Empty Re: West Oz GPZ 7000 Users

Post  Guest Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:23 pm

The way I see it is Minelab pushed the Zed 3+ months ahead to get it onto the market....... But as is the case, issues have surfaced.  I remember JP was saying that he had issues when he had a test unit. I guess SHARE HOLDERS $$$ were at stake affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Mulga,

Have a look at my post to the "not much chatter" thread. I had major issues with my 7000 around Meeka and Leonora here in WA. Now look at what turned up!

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi Brett,
I haven't posted in here yet as I'm still in my apprenticeship stage with the 7000, I'd hate to post something that's not correct.
But at this early stage I have to say I'm very impressed!

Although nothing big yet, (the biggest I think went 16gr) you cant argue with the depth, it punches in. it is definitely finding gold we are just not hearing with the 5000's and that's running both side by side and testing on the same targets.

It is a marvel on specimens, in fact we have some that wont even signal on a 5000 when you run the specimen on the coil, yet they are very audible on the 7000.

I know Bilbo has had a fair few sleepless nights with his and yes we've had our teething problems, but with ours that was us, not the machine.

The ground balancing procedure took a bit to get used to, but you do get used to it. I missed my little green button and thought about painting one on just to rest my thumb on Very Happy

Not sure if any of this helps but as I progress more I'll post more.

Cheers,

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks Guys
Hmm still a bit of this and that going on eh? Tuna, sounds like you may be a convert. I'll keep watching for a little while I reckon. Tell you what though, last couple of trips out the Murchison everyone seems to be wheeling a 7000, so they must have sold a truckload of em. Ask the guys using them and they really aren't very good salesmen Very Happy
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:59 pm

How to negotiate the noisy ground?
Very very very slowly with correct settings. It's difficult going but can be done. It's the downside to zed

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks UTBN but that doesn't sound too good?? Have you done much out the Murch way with the 7k? I've never been into slow, slow with the GPX's, just too impatient. Every now and then it's okay for cleaning up little ones but not as my general detecting mode. Like swinging steady out in wide open spaces.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:45 pm

G'day Brett, I've done a couple weeks in East murchison areas on my way north. Mostly the ground was not a problem at all.
There were some areas that were extremely bad but there was gold in the spots so had no choice but to go at a crawl.
I put up a comment few months back that zed hated noisy ground. And it does but you can negate it to an extent to get what's within range.

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks UTBN, that sounds more promising. By the way, call me stupid but what does UTBN stand for?
Think I'm going to have to hire a 7k if I can and give it a go I reckon.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ichi-ban Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:22 pm

MD,

From what I've heard there are no dealers that are willing to hire out the ZED. You may get a privateer to do a deal. I have one that I will be testing around Leonora/Laverton about mid to late July. PM me if you're interested in a hire deal if you're in that area.

ichi-ban
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

West Oz GPZ 7000 Users Empty gpz and salty ground

Post  scooter Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Well, just returned from eight weeks with the 7000 I have to agree with those that have tried to use this machine in salty areas, it is pretty hopeless, I used the 5000 in these areas.  All in all I am very happy with the 7000 in most areas around the Murchison. It is very good with small nuggys  at impressive depth's and excellent with the bigger pieces. Went over an area that I did a few years ago with the 4500 got a nice clear signal and dug a 127 grammer at about 2 feet, its hard to know if it was the 7000 or did I just miss that 6 inch spot with the 4500. One piece at around 30 inches ( specimen full of very fine gold) 260 grammes Used the 5000 to pinpoint this I broke a couple of bits off as I was chiselling out 44 and 11 grammes and was surprised that the 5000 did not make a peep when these were waved over the coil  these smaller bits were absolutely  full of fine gold thruout I was amazed that the 5000 made not a sound. So yes I am very happy with the 7000   but if you are serious about this game I would suggest you need both machines. By the way 8 ounces for the trip so am not too unhappy, Hope to do better when I return in a fortnight.    Scooter.

scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenhero Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:19 am

Scooter , 8 ounces is a great result , that 7000 now owes you nothing ..cheers Mick

goldenhero
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2012-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for that Scooter. Sounds like you've tamed it and great finds, an ounce a week average would keep a full timer going.
Gday Ichi, thanks for the offer but I'll be north of Meeka then. You can hire from Reeds apparently.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down