Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dollys Creek worth detecting

+24
Soosa
ttrash
Jerryx4
kon61
Onmykneesdigging
littleazza1979
mvh12345
warrior707
the hill folk
krakenup
dannyp
Dinga82
grumpy57
someday
getascripter
GemQ
AnnieL
regamald
big fella
gldfvr
geof_junk
tezz
Robo
Detrackozi
28 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty Re: Dollys Creek worth detecting

Post  Detrackozi Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Seen a few campers out there on Sunday while I was there affraid what they were up too scratch 
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty campers ?

Post  the hill folk Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Probably finding all the gold that I leave behind !!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:06 pm

Heading up to Dollys & surrounds tomorrow with sluice & pan, see if sum specks arise
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Sorry my PM with the vid didn't work...
try this.
My Sluice
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty thats better

Post  the hill folk Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Jerry....got that one......reckon i can build that...what pump do you use ??

Did yo uget up to the creek today ?? How did you go?

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Yep got up there.
Very nice spot but to go where I went u gunna need a decent 4x4...my Zook was getting fair knocked around.
There's only JUST enough water to pan & sluice.
Sum1 else had been sluicing the spot I'd say less than 24hrs earlier as fresh digs everywhere with washed piles next to the holes.
I had a poke about next to some of the dig spots, only did 3 pans but got quite a few nice little specks, very small but quite a few.
I've got sum to clean up so once done ill see how little it was lol, next time I'll focus just to get there (as went to Steglitz for a look after) & spend a bit more time panning & get the sluice out. Makes for a nice day so long as you can get down in there lol
Might add... There were 6in long Fkn leeches coming up sticking to the underside of the pan trying to get me!

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Me_zpsc87461f1

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Dollys_zps2e6ad46d

Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty good work

Post  the hill folk Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 pm

hey thats a few more little pieces than I have ever got with the metal detector so well done.....
Got a bee in my bonnet now about building a little sluice so that will nag at me till its done.....got it all in my head apart from the pumping system...maybe a 12v bilge pump ??

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:41 pm

mines a 12v 2000gph bilge but honestly the somedays sluice or whoevers on here with a petrol pump is the best way to go. the lil sluices like mine are just fidgety as fk
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty pump

Post  the hill folk Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Ah but nice and peaceful and still a lot of fun.....might be up at Dollys next Friday....

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Jerry

Are you Photo's from Dolly ? Good bit of water there.

Have you found Dolly's Creek Glory hole yet (Like Fred at Porcupine Creek water fall) this hole never dries up and you would need to try and pump it dry or shovel it  Rolling Eyes before the fire you could drive to it but the fire as it does has made it just to thick.
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm

TBH I think i was at a spot that's isn't ventured much...well other than dirtbike riders and the sluice guys recently.
It wasn't the picnic area but more west and deeper into the bush than that. The stream forks into 3 parts and im guessing once all joined that heads to the picnic area.
& yeah pics are from today. the water wasnt deep, maybe 1.5ft in the holes.
This glory hole u speak of where is that? I'm assuming its on a north west heading track as the one i wanted to venture down was only big enough for a mtrbike, no way my zook was getting in there. I have the feeling all that will be pulled will be tiny specks like i found... maybe a day of shoveling would get u sumthing .25-.5gramish lol
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 am

Hi guys this came from Dolly's Creek 7.9gm just near the bridge on forest track. Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Image46}

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty wow

Post  the hill folk Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:28 am

Holy crap...I just turned green with envy....well done !!!! It just shows that you should never give up.....and NO place is flogged out completely !!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty more wow

Post  the hill folk Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:32 am

I just had a look at the maps....the bridge on Forest rd is right where I would NOT have thought to go as I would have thought that area is completely done over as its right near the picnic ground....it just goes to show.....well done again !!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 am

It's tho only bit that I have found out there.

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty only bit

Post  the hill folk Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 am

that one big "only bit" more than I have got  Very Happy 
I am a man on a mission now....as well as more detecting I will build a recirculating sluice for a change....

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  littleazza1979 Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am

I know that spot my mates were there the day befor you there's not much if any of that creek iv not seen

littleazza1979
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  littleazza1979 Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 am

That's bigger than anything iv got out there ben my biggest is 2.1 but I'm upto about 12 or so nit now from dollys but LOTS and LOTS of junk I'm over the junk

littleazza1979
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Bsmith

Well done, very nice spec if there is junk still there then must be gold as well  Smile Smile 
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Panning was a nightmare. Heaps of heavy stone I'm guessing iron stone so once at the end of the pan u get the gold, sum black sand and heaps of rust colored little stones that u cant pan off lol
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Jerry

The Sump hole is in the northwest branch you can't miss it the creek wall are very unsafe so be careful. santa 

Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty heading out again

Post  the hill folk Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Rightyo then......heading out to Dollys on Monday....will arrive at picnic ground with a mate by 9:30.....going to start by heading NW about7-800 metres to lots of old diggings and give it a go there then gradually work back as the day goes on.....Mayne my first bit of gold is waiting there !!!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty No Petrol Pump

Post  gldfvr Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Jerryx4 wrote:mines a 12v 2000gph bilge but honestly the somedays sluice or whoevers on here with a petrol pump is the best way to go. the lil sluices like mine are just fidgety as fk

Do not get caught using a petrol powered pump in Dollys Creek as it is part of the water catchment for Geelong , That is why No panning is allowed in the Barwon River .
Detrackozi have a talk to Shaqu and he will confirm it .

gldfvr
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-12-05

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty Another day done

Post  the hill folk Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 am

Ok...Another day at Dollys with no result. Had a lovely day. Went to a couple of the areas marked on a map on this thread that are on the west bank of Dollys Creek. Very steep in spots so that was fun. One of the areas had lots of old working and many piles of river gravel piled up. Now this is high up on the hill so it must have been at the bottom at some point. Anyway, I started to pull down the piles of gravel and detected it as I went. I figured that there may be a little bit of gold in the pile but not sure if this is a worthwhile tactic. Any advice from you guys??

Moved south a bit to an area marked by Detrackozi as having produced gold with no result but did find bits of bullets etc so this is a good sign that there is fresh ground there still.

Have to work on the settings of the AT Gold. Very reluctant to drop the sensitivity but I think I may have too as its just too noisy when on full sens. Its OK to start with but after a while I think my listening/concentration skills wane a bit so I am pretty confident that I will have nissed little signals in the chatter. I think quiet running is to be aimed for. Any advice/opinions here also ??

Cant wait to go back  bounce 

Dave

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty re dolly's creek worth detecting

Post  regamald Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:07 am

hi i know this is a bit of an older thread but hillfolk when you do log on i've noticed you havent been on for a few days you'll have to let us know how you been going down that way if you dont mind and have you've been down much?  ive been down to dolly's a few times most times going down there ive seen at least one or two other detectorist around and a few sluicers <not sure on spelling for that sorry) do you mind me asking do you sorta stick near camp ground area or as you come from elaine in have you tried going in on the dirt road of that bend near the house then lttle bridge then bend on the bend the dirt rd heads up past some farms and if your car pemits get into the back areas of there where that creek runs as i thin earier maps that detectorozi put up show orchard trk i think its called. Its ok to a certain point goin in but then a four wheel drive would be needed its supossed to be a ok spot to to try?  im off down that way over the weekend p.s lal lal,bunninyong,elaine all beautiful country down that way all round not a bad spot to spend some time and if you work hard you just dont know there may be some of the good stuff for you hope this helps a bit and ill have to post on mon let ya know how i go cheers regamald
regamald
regamald
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2013-11-22

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty Been there lately

Post  the hill folk Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

Hey Regamald,

Yes, I have been back there a couple of weeks ago and crack it big time. I have an AT Gold which is a great machine for coins, relics, beaches (dry sand) etc but is very, very frustrating in Vic goldfields due to the high mineralisation. Its just too noisy and to quiten it down you have to dumb it way, way, down to the point that you lose all confidence that its picking up small stuff and even then its still noisy. I am in the process of buying a GPX5000 so that should fix that !!
Now I know full well that having a 5000 is no guarantee of finding anything at Dolly's but at least I will have a more pleasureable day out with (hopefully) less frustration. I dont mind coming home empty handed as long as I have a good day out. I am sure I ws leaving gold in the ground using the AT Gold.
With regard as to where I go I pretty much stick to the maps Detrackozi posted earlier on this thread and go to the yellow circles marked "Gold found here"  Very Happy .. I have been up all roads and come in from both sides of the creek.....As a newbie I have nothing better to offer so I just follow his maps. I have no doubt whatsoever that there is plenty of gold left out there. Its all looks small on the maps but it is a huge area and there is no way that every square inch has been cleared. Probably cant say much more as I havent found any gold yet but when I do you will all hear about it !!!
Cant wait to get back there with the 5000....

dave

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty re dolly's creek worth detecting

Post  regamald Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 am

hi hillfolk the .AT. is that your first machine? i havent had one so im not to familar with there settings maybe someone else or another .AT. owner could pop on this thread and suggest a way to quiten it down would that be a threshhold tone thing or?? other setting or just the at dont like vic? Very Happy  shame its so loud do you have a problem with hotrocks aswell i know the 5000 is the best of the best but everyone is diferent i upgraded from a fisher gb2 to sd2200v2/blue one recently i still kept the fisher as its not to bad in the creeks i think the main thing is to really gain confidence in your albilty's. in the back of where the dolly's campground is where im on about it's on the map by detectorozi so you've prob been in there thats how i got in there of the maps untill i learnt my way around the area i know thw camp ground area has recived a lot of attention even though thats the case i still go there some times but mainly try to stick to them back areas there is lots of ground there to cover and one could be there for quite some time. By going to a decent pulse induction you should be going a lot better soon and have a good chance i like the depth they get it is good ive been looking at moded ones like a moded 3500 OR EVEN A 4000 of late im seeing as to weather the moneys around the same sort of layout as a gpx5000 compaired to the depth that they would both get you might even want to look at a 4500 or other ones first hope this helps some and dont forget you have mt doran as well as enfiled over other side so best of luck mate ill post on mon an let you know how i go over weekend its a bit overcast today but im of in about an hour just to enfiled coupple hours then dolly's tomorrow cheers regamald  T06

Last edited by regamald on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
regamald
regamald
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty Good luck

Post  the hill folk Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:43 am

Good luck for the weekend Regamald.
Yes AT was my first machine and took me a good 6 months to learn it...

dave

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty re hillfolk

Post  regamald Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:48 am

and still wont quiten down at all?
regamald
regamald
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 3 Empty re hillfolk

Post  regamald Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:50 am

yea maybe then you should get a 5000 or what ever you decide to go with im sure the next one will be better you could even maybe ebay the AT to help pay some of the gpx?
regamald
regamald
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next