Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just starting out - WA

3 posters

Go down

Just starting out - WA Empty Just starting out - WA

Post  garretace150 Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi everyone. I just got meself a detector and im thinking of hunting for sum gold! first of all Im pritty good in the bush as my olds are on a station bout 400ks inland from sharkbay and i lived there for sum time. Its just im not to sure wat to look for and where to go. Im based in perth atm but wanting to head out sumtime at the end of the year or start of next year. Any info, Tips, Areas, Maps and the sort would be realy helpful!!! I no i should be doing it my self but I just dont no where to start!!
Thanks
ryan

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Just starting out - WA Empty Prospecting around Meeka

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Ryan,
Thats a big lot of questions you have lobbed on us, but here goes,seeing as you have a computer you could get from mineral house in perth a CD of all the Geo maps of WA for the cost of about 1 1/2 maps on paper. With this CD you will find most of the oldtimers mines marked with a pair of crossed picks, these old timers new where to find it and they did it the hard way with a pan, anywhere in close proximity to the old workings will do, in fact extend there workings as gold can be found 1km+ from its source.
The next most important thing would be to go onto Tengraph, this will let you know whether or not you are allowed to prospect the area you have in mind, actually better than tengraph is Google Earth with overlays of all existing leases either pending in blue or granted in green. This will give you coordinates for your GPS which you will have to buy, so that you know where you are at all times,Google Earth will also show you the tracks, roads etc in that area.Detrakskovi has done the hard yards for us and posted the overlays of all tenements into Google earth, which is absolutely a must have, so a little bit of research on this forum will head you in the right direction.
Get some local knowledge and try and work with someone with experience in metal detecting and you will be on your way once you get yourself a miners right from mineral house, always try and do the right thing by the rules and everybody and good luck
As to where all the gold is, you just gotta walk over it!!!!
Regards Ron
PS: Where is it that your folks are/were stationed?

Back to top Go down

Just starting out - WA Empty Thanks for your help!

Post  garretace150 Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks Ron thats alot of helpful info! yeah there on a station called ballythuna its about 50-100 ks west of byro station. Did a bit of roo shooting there for a while till i moved down here.
When you said a cd from dmp, do you no the name of it? cos im searching the website and getting alot of info for prospecting, and rights. I just cant seem to find the map with all the oldtimers spots on it? Just starting out - WA Icon_question
Also i have downloaded google earth. just wondering what version i sould be runing and do you have any links for the work that Detrakskovi has done?
Thanks
Ryan

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Just starting out - WA Empty map CD

Post  Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Ryan,
The CD is atlas of 1:250 000 geological series
map images,western australia
From the dep't of Industry and Resources
And that would be a neggatory on the rest as i ain't that clever yet!!, but you should be able to find Detrak's posts, probably all in the spelling!!

Back to top Go down

Just starting out - WA Empty Google

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi Garretace150,
Google Earth overlays can be found in the Goldfields heading and go into WA Goldfields and you will find all the overlays ready to upload/download
Regards Ron

Back to top Go down

Just starting out - WA Empty Re: Just starting out - WA

Post  Kon61gold Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Ryan

Dont try and do everything yourself. In the Detector Clubs on the main menu there are many groups in Western Australia that can give you a hand and also take you out. This way you can gain some experience and have some mates as well

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:43 am

Hi jef
Yeah thats a good idea. Ive been looking over everything from google earth to the tengraph. Picking up old sites and getting ideas of where to hunt! Only thing is all the information is a bit overloading! As seeing that gold has been found around alot of area in western australia Im guessing that these areas that are marked out have been flogged! I was also reading some of gypsy's info on gold on the forum. Theres alot of spots like that when i was on my olds station so is that saying there could be gold around that area or is it only in those looking spots around the goldfeilds? hahaha so very confusing but i am slowly getting my brain around it!! I think if i went to one of these clubs it would be a hell of a lot easier to get the no how! One other question..... When you looking for the results of a drill in an area. What website is it on and whats the amout we are looking for to make it worthy of prospecting?

Thanks
Ryan

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 am

Hi Ryan, I,m pretty much just starting out too.
First thing I did was choose a "gold detector" within my budget and learn how to opperate it properly. You don't want to be out there with the wrong set up walking over gold and wasting time. Having confidence in your detector and your ability to use it is a good start...
Cheers, goldenbrown...
p.s "minelab detectors" are what you want to suss out.
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down