Starting Out re What do you need?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Starting Out re What do you need? Empty Starting Out re What do you need?

Post  Cams 4500 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi everyone, I am just getting into prospecting after spending a couple of days out at Maryborough with my father. I am in the process of purchasing a detector, I have come accross a used detector at Coiltek in MB, they have put a bit of a kit together at a good price for me. It contains
GPX 4500 A late model they tell me. What my dad has as well
Speaker, I hated using the headphones
Pick, medium size
plastic scoop
John Tully maps, seems a resonable way to start.
Cover for 4500

I also picked up an Aldi cleaner as they are in stock ATM, wishful thinking I know. Also got one for my Dad.

Should I get anything else to start with? I will be doing the Coiltek 1 day course soon.

Coiltek also suggested getting a mono coil, leaning towards the Coiltek 14X9 goldstalker, reasonable choice? or would something else suit me better?

Would be good to catch up with other members who detect around Maryborough. I plan to spend a fair bit of time out with my dad, but after a motor vehicle accident last year travelling home from MB, he hasn't been able to really use his 4500, hopefully soon he can. He himself is quite new to detecting.

regards
Cams
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Starting Out re What do you need? Empty Re: Starting Out re What do you need?

Post  davsgold on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:14 pm

G'day Cams & welcome to the forum

I think you would be well advised to get the Minelab 11" Commander Mono coil, these coils are brilliant and you should get results with this coil fairly quickly, when coupled to the GPX4500.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 6082
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://www.x-coils.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi Cams, welcome mate. From a safety point of view, I would buy a basic GPS unit (eg Garmin Etrex ) . You can then mark your vehicle location before going off for a wander in the bush. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:02 am

piston broke wrote:Hi Cams, welcome mate. From a safety point of view, I would buy a basic GPS unit (eg Garmin Etrex ) . You can then mark your vehicle location before going off for a wander in the bush. cheers Pete.

Best advise you can get. Once you start to detect it is very easy to get lost. All you have to do is as Pete said, mark your vehicle and then turn it off and it will be ready if you need it. Also, keep a spare set of batteries in your backpack. Other items, waterbottle, small first aid kit, lighter and torch. If you are going with your dad or friend then a pair of UHF radios are very handy and can be bought cheap enough. I just bought a backup one from JAYCAR for $20 and it does the job.
Paul

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 am

Ahh Safety, never really though of that area. I have a TomTom 1 which would be fine, also good for mapping good areas. I was also thinking gaiters, are any snake bite proof or do they just indicate "may protect"

Radios is another good point, are the cheap ones say .5W any good? I imagine they wouldn't be very good over distance (would also help wife and myself backing caravan)
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:17 am

paulf wrote: If you are going with your dad or friend then a pair of UHF radios are very handy and can be bought cheap enough. I just bought a backup one from JAYCAR for $20 and it does the job.
Paul

if you are going to be detecting with your old man pauls idea about the uhf radios is a good one. i got a set of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORICOM-2-WATT-HANDHELD-UHF-RADIO-TWIN-PACK-UHF2180-NEW-/110821298271?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item19cd76d05f

certainly they cost more than 20 bucks but they have good range and have been working well for over 12 months
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:40 am

I just put the Jaycar one up there as a cheap way of getting started. I have one as a backup or spare but my main one is a Uniden 1 watt which I have had no probems with communicating with other members at our club. And , sorry, just checked the Jaycar site and it has gone up $5.

Paul.

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:59 am

I don't mind spending a bit on a pair of 2 ways, they will come in handy for other things. I think Dick Smith has the .5W ones fairly cheap as well from time to time, but might go with 1W.

I also have a first aid kit which sits in my car and will be fine for detecting.

What about scales? Are the ones on eBay for 25 or so any good?

Also what is with a magnet? Does everyone has one? I understand gold mostly won't be attracted to it, is it really needed?

Leaning towards a 11" commander mono at present, just spoke with Coiltek and he will do a good deal on one for me.

Last edited by Cams 4500 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Starting Out re What do you need? Empty re coil

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 am

i just put a coiltek blitz coil on my 5000 and it runs super quiet and found a couple of bits on the weekend in not favorable conditions in flogged to death ground

Back to top Go down

Post  4rd on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:24 pm

the Oricom deal which phoenix posted looks like a good way to go, 2W name brand and delivery included for $118.

I purchased Uniden 720SX 2Watt which cost around $250, very happy and they come with all the accessories including VOX mic which is great for hands free use. Whichever way you go make sure it is the newer 80 channel spec (also referred to 77 Ch available for use).
4rd
4rd
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 am

Looking at the Gold mine sites on Google Earth, I noticed there are mines in state park, which is where I have been before and there is state forrest. Can the forrest areas be prospected in.

PS have decided to get the 11" mono and will later purchase a larger coil, perhaps a NF round. Have also ordered some 2 ways from above ebay seller, though I found their website and it can be cheaper to buy direct, and using paypal as well. Having the 2 ways will be a real benefit, my father doesn't have the best of health so keeping tabs on him will mak a happier day.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Cams we each have been using coiltek 14" elliptical monos for the last 3 years both on our 45's and 5000's and found them extremely good. I wouldn't trade them for anything as we have found many ounces with them. They are light, sensitive and easy to use. Great for pin-pointing and have lasted well to last 3 years. That includes several months solid detecting each year.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Cams you can't go wrong with the Coiltek 14x9 mono, runs well on the 4500.

cheers
The Modern Day Prospector
The Modern Day Prospector
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Cams 4500 wrote:Looking at the Gold mine sites on Google Earth, I noticed there are mines in state park, which is where I have been before and there is state forrest. Can the forrest areas be prospected in.

PS have decided to get the 11" mono and will later purchase a larger coil, perhaps a NF round. Have also ordered some 2 ways from above ebay seller, though I found their website and it can be cheaper to buy direct, and using paypal as well. Having the 2 ways will be a real benefit, my father doesn't have the best of health so keeping tabs on him will mak a happier day.

If you have the 11" mono then I would not bother about upgrading to another coil yet as you will find the 11" does very well with sensitivity and depth and you are probably better off learning the machine with this coil. Spend the money on other things such as a GPS.
Paul.

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

I have till Monday to decide really as then I will be paying of the balance and get them to deliver it to me. They have offered a 11" round for 220 as part of package, which is pretty good, 14X9 sounds good also, as well as the 14 NF round. I might decide soon.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  staples61 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Cams,
The magnets are used to pick up tiny bits of steel/boot tacks etc as you can waste a lot of time trying to pinpoint and find them with your coil.Check the bits as sometimes gold can be hiding in ironstone.

Staples

staples61
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Starting Out re What do you need? Empty Re: Starting Out

Post  Hey presto on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:38 pm

staples61 wrote:Cams,
The magnets are used to pick up tiny bits of steel/boot tacks etc as you can waste a lot of time trying to pinpoint and find them with your coil.Check the bits as sometimes gold can be hiding in ironstone.

Staples

Hello Cams, as Staples said, they can save you time & effort. Unlike some I have a magnet but only attach it to my pick scraper end (not the handle). I can then also take it off to rub in the dirt if needed. I was told to keep it away from the detectors box to avoid any possible damage to the electronics. The magnet came with a warning to keep clear of key remotes, pace makers, phone etc as they are very strong.

Good luck on your hobby.
Hey presto
Hey presto
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the help so far, learning heaps already and I don't even have the detector yet, should be within a week now.

Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Well I now have my GPX4500. Very happy with it, whoever owned it before took very good care of it. Only problem is Coiltek forgot to put the battery in, so they will send that seperately. I ordered a pair of handheld CB's which have also arrived. For coils I have settled on the Minelab 11" mono and also an 18X12 goldstalker to cover ground quicker. Down the ttrack I may get a NF 14" round as well.

I have booked in for the Coiltek course in Maryborough early March as that is the earliest I can get there. Can't wait.

Can't believe I didn't notice earlier but instead of the Minelab 11" round mono I have a Coiltek 11" round mono. It seems the Coiltek is cheaper and I still got a decent deal pricewise with the Coiltek, but I wonder whether I should push for the Minelab, I guess they will want more dollars. I'm not overly fussed either way, as long as what I have is decent. Also as the larger coil I got is also Coiltek, perhaps it is an advantage to have the same brand (I was however thinking that having differant brands might assist to clean up any patches (should I find one))
What to do?
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Crikey.....forgot the battery...that has to be frustrating for you..... bugger
Dont forget to get a bag trolly for the back of your ute to carry all the big nuggets back in with Laughing
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Harb wrote:Crikey.....forgot the battery...that has to be frustrating for you..... bugger
Dont forget to get a bag trolly for the back of your ute to carry all the big nuggets back in with Laughing

It would be nice to need a trolley.

Apparently they keep the batteries seperate and on charge, must have been in a rush.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm

i had a 18x12 coiltek .which ran amok and i threw it in the back of the shed and said @#$% coiltek; on the advice of a very good local prospector; i turned to nugget finders (advantage) 12' and 16' which run so much quiter than the coiltek ever did, after a few months i sent the coiltek back, and coiltek to their credit couldn't have been more helpful and replaced it.i couldn't see much sense in having a 18x 12 with the nf adv coils i had .so i went for a coiltek blitz and my god it runs quiet. i must state i,m a learner .personally i think nugget finder caught coiltek with their pants down with the litz wire coils, but again i,ve only been swinging one for 18 months,but lookin at polls maybe they should bring litz wire coils in right thru their range.fellas that have been swingin detectors for years can work around noise, but learners like me and you its drama we dont need.in a nut shell id try and get a blitz and leave the 11'' where it is

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:43 pm

cougarcans wrote:i had a 18x12 coiltek .which ran amok and i threw it in the back of the shed and said @#$% coiltek; on the advice of a very good local prospector; i turned to nugget finders (advantage) 12' and 16' which run so much quiter than the coiltek ever did, after a few months i sent the coiltek back, and coiltek to their credit couldn't have been more helpful and replaced it.i couldn't see much sense in having a 18x 12 with the nf adv coils i had .so i went for a coiltek blitz and my god it runs quiet. i must state i,m a learner .personally i think nugget finder caught coiltek with their pants down with the litz wire coils, but again i,ve only been swinging one for 18 months,but lookin at polls maybe they should bring litz wire coils in right thru their range.fellas that have been swingin detectors for years can work around noise, but learners like me and you its drama we dont need.in a nut shell id try and get a blitz and leave the 11'' where it is

I do like the NF coils, they seem to be quite popular. I hadn't really thought about the blizt coil. Do you still use your NF's as well?
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Starting Out re What do you need? Empty Blitz coil

Post  Cams 4500 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Just reading one retailer web site, they say the Blitz is specific to the GPX5000, does that mean no good for the 4500?
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:14 pm

i've never used a 4500 i went from a 3500 to a 5000 but i'd still say a blitz would run sweet on a 45 .

Back to top Go down

Starting Out re What do you need? Empty try out

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm

if you want to meet up for a swing and try diff coils round here on the weekend ..pm me i got the blitz a 12'nf a 16' nf and a sadie nf

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:32 pm

cougarcans wrote:if you want to meet up for a swing and try diff coils round here on the weekend ..pm me i got the blitz a 12'nf a 16' nf and a sadie nf

Awesome offer and I would like to accept, but I won't be up that way till early next month when I do the course, I will be there for a few days then.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Starting Out re What do you need? Empty re offer

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:37 pm

sorry i'm full up next month buddy. swan hill fishin classic .a weddin then umm the duck cull. then another weddin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 pm

After that I am there for 1 week at Easter. Might look into some time this month.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Will be in Maryborough for my first swing with my 4500, can't wait. I ended up having to re schedule my course till Easter as we got delayed in the time we were leaving, never mind, will still be good. Might even be a benefit doing the course after using the detector for a bit first.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum