Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flinders Ranges and nearby?

2 posters

Go down

Flinders Ranges and nearby? Empty Flinders Ranges and nearby?

Post  getascripter Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi all Very Happy Just looking for some info Rolling Eyes

It would appear that the family would all like to go on a camping trip up to the Flinders, between Christmas and New Years. WooHoo!!! I might be able to sneak in some detecting and highbanking!! So my question is .... is there anywhere up that way ... Hawker etc ... that an old girl might 'try her luck'?

I used to have a .kml file with all the SA points of interest, but lost the lot when the hard drive decided to go on permanent strike! Sad Rolling Eyes

If anyone would be kind enough to give me some suggestions, I'd be happy to receive PMs if you prefer to keep your anonimity. Wink

PS: Should I assume that the Flinders Ranges National Park is off-limits? Mad
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Flinders Ranges and nearby? Empty Re: Flinders Ranges and nearby?

Post  ski29214 Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Kate, why don't you try and get into the Mines Department, Grenfell Street, Adelaide. They have quite a lot of information on the various gold fields around South Australia.With fact sheets, maps and other interesting information some freely available.
Waukaringa is on the road from Yunta to Balcanoona Road. This now deserted town was once a very heavily populated area and a lot of gold was taken out. There are lots of other gold fields north of Yunta many though are on private property and access can be difficult.
Blinman an old copper mining area further to the west is always a fasacinating place to visit. Lots of areas to give the detector a run although there's lots of junk in some areas.
I would suggest a bit of 'fossicking' in any of the creekbeds you can safely get access to. The Flinders is a very old geological area (somesay 2 billion years plus) so there has been a lot of change in that time with much grinding, fracturing and movement of rocks and minerals. As suggested, Mines Dept. best palce to start.

ski29214
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Flinders Ranges and nearby? Empty Re: Flinders Ranges and nearby?

Post  getascripter Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks ski29214 ... that's some good information!! I spend so much time researching on the 'net that the obvious (actually going in to Mines Dept) just doesn't register with the grey matter!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down