Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highbanker classifiers?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Highbanker classifiers?

Post  gcause Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 pm

Never had a problem with a bilge pump they just keep on keeping on, can run all day on a single charge. Use a pan underneath it and fly mesh around it to keep it from clogging up with silt and debris.

Here is the Bilge Pump I use:

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 056

Remember trapping the gold is all about water flow get it wrong and you will be losing gold out both ends of the high banker. You do not want a flood of water, you want to setup an eddy current that looks like a sine wave going over the riffles, it's the eddy current that will allow the gold to drop and get trapped by the riffles and matting.

I bought my high banker from Bruce Bertram at Warwick he has perfected the design over many years.

FIrst thing to do is get a level and make sure your high banker is level on the ground both length wise and breadth wise. Then get your angle right about a quarter of an inch drop then secure it with rocks:

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 0b523ae2

Next you need to adjust your water flow so it shows up bubbles like this between the riffles:

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 0f277d5f

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 C51157ba

Here is the Astro Turf matting I use:

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 0f0748f7

Here is the Classifier built into the hopper:

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 6eff8e7a

Here is an example of the gold it traps right down to the flour gold:

Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 B2454837

Never had a problem losing any gold from this high banker I have panned out the processed material after running it through the banker a few times now and have never found anything that it missed.

Also you mentioned you were getting gold in the last riffle, if you are your angle is way too steep the gold should typically be trapped in the first three riffles only.

Hope this helps someday.

gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Yep they do work at waters edge but if you had to move a bit of distance {say 40 meters} away from the water how well do they work then? To me money spent on a Bilge pump system which limits you to one area, compared to a petrol pump which you can pick up for around the same $$ and will give you a much wider working scope well it's your $$ and if it works for you very good. But sorry it not for me.

Cheers
James

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Me showed yu's a pic after 2 hours run time ish wrote:
Highbanker classifiers? - Page 2 Imgp0413

Point taken Grant!
Unfortunately the area I sluice has pay streaks few an far! when you hit on a spot that shows 50 odd color's to the pan and still shows that same number at depth, then it's time to move some dirt!
This display in the pic was dismal because my classifier wasn't playen ball, but I bet you won't end up with those sorts of tailing using a bilge pump Very Happy
The material on this occasion was very low grade, maybe 10-20 specs per pan, with all the complications I was having, having a couple of specs in the end pan after processing a good ton + of dirt wasn't too disheartening! the best part was I picked up .5 of a gram panning the stuff at my feet! How easy's that cheers Bad sluice box Razz

Never noticed before! the line running around the tailings in that pic, ain't no lunch break, thats a hopper melt down!! cool, the camera see's things I wouldn't normally look at!
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Hey someday,

Glad you are on the gold. Very Happy

I normally put a really large rectangular bucket at the front of the sluice to catch all the processed material. That way I can pan it off later to check how the sluice did, never found anything though. When i am not checking this i will usually empty this out away from the area I am working so it doesn't wind up going back through the high banker or building up like in your photo. I then use the empty bucket to do the cleanup. I didn't have it on the day of the photos I was using the white ones in the photos. It also does double duty to carry all the gear including the high banker.

You might want to invest in one SuperCheap or Sams warehouse has them they usually come with a lid, they are great for keeping all the gear I order in the back of the 4wd.

Regards,

Grant
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum