Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simple tests with my SD 2000

3 posters

Go down

Simple tests with my SD 2000 Empty Simple tests with my SD 2000

Post  Shinegold Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Went to an old timers' diggings site, used these two pieces of lead, 73.2 grams and over 150 grams (couldn't measure exactly as the scales I use doesn't go over 150g), as test subjects:

Simple tests with my SD 2000 IMG_1156

Simple tests with my SD 2000 IMG_1157

Test results may give or take a little, as I measured with my pic, results shouldn't be off more than 2cm. This test was done at Jupiter Creek, at the main diggings area where the fenced off shafts are. Along with the SD, I was using my 18" DD pro, no booster, just the headphones that came with the unit and standard battery. The pieces of lead were facing up as shown in the pic. They were on a slight angle, about 15 degrees.

Went to a side wall and put the test targets in the side of the wall, but not far into it because the wall would crumble. About a third of the coil would hang off the little cliff when the signal came through.

I managed to get a signal on the smaller piece at 17", quiet-ish mellow sound coming through both channels, though would have heard and investigated comfortably. I tried to go about 6" deeper but couldn't get a signal.

The larger piece I managed to get at 26", fairly quiet and quieter than the first target test, channel two signalled on that one but not quite channel 1. It may have been heard through channel 1 if it wasn't for the interference. This signal would have been investigated. This was at the bottom of the cliff.

I was getting a bit of electrical interference, nothing harsh though. It was a bit annoying though, not sure how much it affected the test. However, I would consider this quiet ground. The SD was quiet in that area, except for the bits of interference noise.

I know I could have done this test better, but this is the best I could do at the time. I checked the ground and the edge of the cliff to see if I was getting any false noise and there was none, except for the bits of interference noise. I'm not quite sure what to make of these tests, but at least I know everything's working and that I am going deep.

Your thoughts...?
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Simple tests with my SD 2000 Empty Re: Simple tests with my SD 2000

Post  CostasDee Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Good test Shinegoild. One of important things that you should remember from this test is the sound the DD makes over a target. DDs I have found generally give a mellower more broad sound which can sometimes be confussed with ground noise, whereas monos give a sharper and more distict sound. Remember the sound the DD made and you'll investigate more signals and hopefully dig up more gold.
The other thing to remember is that you have inserted that target into the sidewall, hence as it's a new target, there would be no "halo" effect. On a real buried and undisturbed target, you may find that you depth could increase by 20% or more...
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks Costas,

20% more Question Exclamation , sounds good bounce What a Face .

One interesting thing I should mention, when I went down and faced the cliff and detected the target like that, with the coil in front of my shoulder waving it over the ground (not the side of the cliff), I couldn't get the signals. I figure the my body's electrical field was affecting the field coming out of the coil, but that's just an assumption.

Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:51 pm

G'day Shinegold. Orientation of the target pal.If it were interference from your body,the coil would be making noise with every swing,without a target being there.Orientate your target to sit vertically upright (flattest part of target facing the coil) and you might find the target now giving off a signal once more.Surface area of target to coil,is the key to depth here chum.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:09 pm

kon61 wrote:If it were interference from your body,the coil would be making noise with every swing,without a target being there.

Good point, I don't think it was my body. The orientation of the target to coil didn't change, that would have been obvious as to why. I was merely swinging from a different direction.

There was an interesting thread on another forum about this sort of stuff, I believe it has to do with facing east or west.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down