Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DD compared to mono ????

+5
Shinegold
rocket1100
goldenhorn
CostasDee
Alchemy
9 posters

Go down

DD compared to mono ???? Empty DD compared to mono ????

Post  Alchemy Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey all Pretty new to all this, coming from an island entirely made of sand . So any info would help . whats the difference of dd to mono and where would you use a dd? thanks.
Alchemy
Alchemy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

DD compared to mono ???? Empty Re: DD compared to mono ????

Post  CostasDee Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Gooday Alchemy and welcome.
Concerning DD's vs Monos, a lot of this depends on the machine that you are swinging, your tolerance to noise (if it's an older model), whether you need discrimination, etc.
You must firstly add some more information concerning your situation, especially the machine you will be using, and then we may be able to add more to help you.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Alchemy Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Hey thank you so much i have been lucky enough to get my wish , my girlfriend got wind of what i had been wishing for and lucky old me woke up with one at the end of my bed a 5000 . i have been told mono best for this and i have the two that came with it. i read some where that dd were used where there is more interferrence , such as an urban environment. I was working on the mainland (brisbane ) alittle while ago and doing what i do best as a plumber and drainer i was digging a hole in an elderly gents back yard and he said if ya find any gold ill split it with you . i told him that id heard that one a million times but he assured me way back people found gold there . this area is near power lines industrial area and so on would a dd be better suited there?
Alchemy
Alchemy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Alchemy Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:58 pm

i still have my free day with minelab ,just thought id get a heads up
Alchemy
Alchemy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi again,
I think that if you are near "civilazation" as such, you would have an extremely hard time detecting, even with a DD. The EMI would drive you crazy. Your options for "built up" areas are to either use an AI (Anti Inteferance) coil which is essentially a modified DD coil but made to work near powerlines and other EMI sources or I have heard that you can use the standard DD coil in cancel mode. Maybe someone else could confirm this.
The 5000 is a great machine (and let me add that your girlfriend is a great girl and you should hold onto her close) and you should do well with it. They do excell with mono coils away from the city. The DD will come in handy at trashy areas where you will be able to use discrimination (option unavailable with the mono coils).
Good luck and hope you unearth heaps.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Alchemy Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Thank you Costadee great info , and yeah mate she is a ripper of a girl shes lettin me go over to wa for 2 months detecting just buying a 4x4 quad a few coils ,17 x 11 nugget finder and a 20 " round and just researching ...tengraph is taking some getting use to and will sort a 20a for another spot... maybe just maybe.
Alchemy
Alchemy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenhorn Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 pm

wow, a girlfriend that buys a bloke a new 5000 , gives him a green light to go west detecting for months , buying a 4x4 quad and a stack of coils, alchemy can you post a photo of this lady ? Very Happy

goldenhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post  rocket1100 Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Wow, your girl bought you a 5000...does she have a sister who owns a pub by any chance.... Very Happy lol! lol!
rocket1100
rocket1100
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Alchemy Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 pm

my hard earned cashola was used though! i just have to add that she allowed it to be spent on such an item. and when i said one at the end of my bed she had made one out of a broom stick and painted a box blue stuck a frisbee on the end and left a card that said i have permission to get what ever i need so sorting the kit out with brisbane gold ...... but hey i do have the green light to go and the quad is sorted just have to find that sister with a pub. ! ill marry her one day

not the sister.
Alchemy
Alchemy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Ever since I tested an elip 17 DD pro side by side with an 18 elip mono goldstalker and a 14 elip goldstalker, I have had much much more respect for DDs. This was on an in-situ .5g nugget, not that deep, but challenging ground. The 14" in DD mode picked it up originally, but the DD gave the best signal, not necessarily the loudest. The 18" made it sound like ground noise somewhat. However, with all DDs, to get the best out of them you have to go slow.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyboy Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 am

Wheres JP and the full page write up Laughing
Dannyboy
Dannyboy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2012-09-26

Back to top Go down

DD compared to mono ???? Empty RE

Post  Prospector Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:49 pm

I have a quick question regarding mono & dd coils, I understand the functions of the rx switch on my extreme when using a DD coil. However if I mount a mono should I only use it in Enhance mode? Hoping someone can shed some light here.

Cheers

Prospector
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi prospector,

No, do not use a mono coil with the coil RX switch set to enhance. In the later detectors the re-named it "cancel" and is to be used with DD coils in bad emi conditions such as under power lines or the Wedderburn detector jamboree Very Happy 

If you use a mono in enhance your machine will be very quiet and only detect really large targets at much reduced depth.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Prospector Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Mechanic wrote:Hi prospector,

No, do not use a mono coil with the coil RX switch set to enhance. In the later detectors the re-named it "cancel" and is to be used with DD coils in bad emi conditions such as under power lines or the Wedderburn detector jamboree Very Happy 

If you use a mono in enhance your machine will be very quiet and only detect really large targets at much reduced depth.

Cheers Mick

the extreme has Normal/Enhance/Cancel I think on the 3000 it is DD/Mono/Cancel. So mono coils will operate fine in the Normal setting only then?

Last edited by Prospector on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Prospector
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:44 am

No, do not use a mono coil with the coil RX switch set to enhance.
Must be a typo,  im sure you mean ....do not use "Cancel" on the Extreme with a mono coil.

the extreme has Normal/Enhance/Cancel I think on the 3000 it is DD/Mono/Cancel. So mono coils will operate fine in the Normal setting only then?
The mono coil  will work fine in both DD and Mono on the Extreme/3k/3500.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:09 am

Prospector wrote:
Mechanic wrote:Hi prospector,

Cheers Mick

Hi Prospector,

Yes you are right!! "enhance" = "mono". You can use a mono coil in enhance or DD, you can use a DD in DD, enhance or cancel. When you use a DD coil in enhance it sets it to behave ore like a mono coil, it will be more sensitive to smaller targets and will also be more susceptible to ground noise. Same goes with cancel, the DD is used like a mono coil with the exception of no emi noise, very good for picking small shallow targets in noisy areas.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down