Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st timer and rarin 2 go....

5 posters

Go down

1st timer and rarin 2 go.... Empty 1st timer and rarin 2 go....

Post  kevinandrhonda Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi all,
Just starting out on what I hope is a great hobby. Don't want anything 2 active at 65 but hey... I'll give it a go.
Has anybody got any advice on detectors etc to get me started?

kevinandrhonda
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-26

Back to top Go down

1st timer and rarin 2 go.... Empty Re: 1st timer and rarin 2 go....

Post  Guest Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi Kevin. what are you interested in Gold or Relic & Coin hunting, as there are mainly 2 typs of detectors, gold detectors and coin & relic detectors. Also were is Popanyinning??
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:48 pm

G'day Kevin and Rhonda ... Nice ta meet ya!! welcome to the forum Very Happy

I'm Kate from rural SA. Wombat is right ... there are two distinct types of detector-ing! Gold or Relic/Coin hunting. If you can elaborate on what you are both wanting to do, I'm sure the more knowledgeable in the forum will be happy to help you out.

Again, G'day and Welcome
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kevinandrhonda Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:35 am

Hello folks and thanks for your responses.
We are intending to look for gold and will probably (hopefully) be up around the Pilbara/Kimberley areas but will be checking that.
Popanyinning is in the great southern area of WA about 200 clicks southeast of Perh.
Cheers to all and looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards Kevin and Rhonda

kevinandrhonda
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:01 am

kevinandrhonda wrote:Hi all,
Just starting out on what I hope is a great hobby. Don't want anything 2 active at 65 but hey... I'll give it a go.
Has anybody got any advice on detectors etc to get me started?

Gday

I was just thinking that maybe hiring a detector so that you can have a bit of a go at it might be a good place to start, that way you can find out if its for you without a huge outlay.

There are several detecting shops in Perth, you have "Reeds Prospecting" at Bellvue, "The Prospectors Patch" its either Bellvue or Midland?, but they are not far away from each other, and you have "The Prospectors Pick" down in Bunbury, which would be the closest to you.

All of these shops hire detectors and sell used detectors of all shapes and sizes, so they will be able to put you on the right track anyway, if you have any trouble finding further details for these shops, pm me and I will get the details for you.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushed-Tracker Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 am

Welcome to the forum. Another suggestion would be to join a gold hunting 'Safari' Here you get to be taken to known gold producing regions, use the latest detectors and have hands on advise and assistance. Their business is based on satisfied customers so they want you to find gold.

I guess this will give you a sound introduction to the hobby as well as meeting some great people and having quality time around the evening campfire. It will certainly give you a headstart and help you determine if the hobby is for you.

Good luck

John

ps you live in a great little spot - have camped ovedr there a couple of times....... but am now on the other side of the country.
Bushed-Tracker
Bushed-Tracker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Blitter2011 Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:53 am

Welcome...another potential victim of the 'gold bug'!

From experience, hiring first to get a feel for the different machines is the way to go. It may seem a little expensive in the beginning, but at least when you do go to buy, you'll know exactly what your looking for and not waste funds swapping machines for a better/ different one a year down the track. Most hiring shops also have training days as already mentioned - its worth partaking in, you can learn a lot quicker how NOT to walk over the precious stuff! Very Happy

Blitter2011
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

1st timer and rarin 2 go.... Empty 1st timer and rarin 2 go

Post  sandy2010 Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:07 pm

If you are likely to get serious then stayyers advice is sound, if your approach is casual then the next question is, are you both going to be detecting.
The advice I have given to many over the years is: Buy a Minelab FT16000 (not a GT) for yourself and a Fisher goldbug for your partner.....it's as light as a feather (most women love it) they have found lots of small gold and that usually leads the guy to the bigger deeper stuff of which the FT16000 always had the reputation of doing.
The FT will cost around $350.00 and the Goldbug $250.00....both good for gold and beach or treasure hunting around ruins...........ideal for taking on a trip around Oz and if you decide to sell, put them in Quokka and get your money back......you have had the use of them for free!

***and remember,it does'nt matter what machine you have, be it a $200 unit or a $6,000 unit.....you aint going to find a target if you don't walk over it !

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down