Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

prospecting in hot ground -detectors for newbies?

2 posters

Go down

prospecting in hot ground -detectors for newbies? Empty prospecting in hot ground -detectors for newbies?

Post  stormsearcher Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi i am a newbie looking to buy my first detector to use in the WA iron rich areas.
after reasding and researching detectors have narrowed them down but would need some inpuyt from the gurus here
i am looking for Gold.
my budget is $1000.

intially thought of getting the tesoro oro supertraq but have to ship it from US.
gold bug II , dont recon it works well in mineralised ground with lots of iron
now am thinking either
minelab x terra 705 or garret infinium lS.

any input would be valuble.

stormsearcher

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-04-17

Back to top Go down

prospecting in hot ground -detectors for newbies? Empty Re: prospecting in hot ground -detectors for newbies?

Post  Grandfather Johnson Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Howdy,If you are chasing gold get yourself a second hand Minelab SD 2000,2100 or 2200 put on a DD coil and you will find gold.Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

prospecting in hot ground -detectors for newbies? Empty Re-prospecting-in-hot-ground-detectors-for-newbies

Post  Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 pm

I would not go into the WA goldfields with any detector less than SD 2200 or GP Extreme, you would probably find gold with a lesser machine but you would be digging a hell of a lot of hot rocks, my first trip over there we were using the GP 3000, GP 3500 and our son was using his GP Extreme and 9 out 10 targets were hot rocks, when we came back home here in Vic we updated to GPX models as the people we ended up going with had the GPX 4000 and he did not get any where near the hot rocks we got... Just my 2 bobs on the matter. Very Happy

Cheers

Mike. cheers

P.S we used mono and DD coils.

Back to top Go down